Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I a scrooge?

Frenchy
December 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Here's a question for you;I'm having my family over for Christmas eve.My brother's new girlfriend (who I did not meet yet) ask my bro if it was alright to bring the x-box for her kids.They are 5-10 and 15 yr old.My sister said cool,her kids could play too,they are 6 and 10.I don't think it's a good idea.My living room and dining room are an open area.I will have other guests and I think they much rather hear christmas music than video games.Me too.I have a big yard and they will be 5 golden retrievers to play with.Why can't the kids go play outside??Or with the dogs??And they will all receive presents (toys) why can't they play with the new toys?I grew up in the 70's and we never brought our toys when visiting family.It's always the same thing with my sister's kids,they are VERY spoiled and if we don't "entertain" them,they whine that it's boring and want to go home.I don't even know yet if my brother's girlfriend is coming because she is waiting for HER KIDS TO DECIDE IF THEY FEEL LIKE COMING TO MY PLACE!I have friends with kids and when they come to my place,they don't act like spoiled brat.So am I a scrooge?Should I impose the x-box on my other guests?Thanks for reading me.

shannonRN
December 17th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Nope--I don't think you're being unreasonable at all.

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
No,I see nothing Scroogie in what you are asking,with so many kids,they will more than likely argue about who will play.
Between the dogs and new toys,there should be plenty for them to do..
Put on the Christmas-music:D

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Christmas is about being social and videogames are the opposite of that. I say no. Same as you don't watch tv when you're over at somebody's house for dinner, you shouldn't play videogames either. I agree with you totally (and I didn't grow up in the 70's either).

Frenchy
December 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you so much for your input.My sister always tells me I don't understand kids.Her and her husband laught when the kids said I was an "old bag" (I'm only 35) I tough it was very impolite but everytime I say something,I'm the one who don't understand.They is a saying in french for those type of kids (who are what they are because of the parents) they are called "les enfants rois" ; king children.

mesaana
December 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I just wanted to add my opinion: you are entirely right! And the kids should have been severely reprimanded for the comment they made about you! The fact that your sister laughed would have caused a serious issue in my family... but I can't complain since I really don't think my sister would let my nephew get away with that. Which is pretty funny considering how she was such a brat growing up (my mother doesn't discipline at all)! She knows what happened with her, how she didn't respect our parents when she was young... and now she doesn't want that to happen to her son (and the next baby, as we just learned she's pregnant!)

Lyne

Melinda
December 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I host a christmas eve party for my husbands family every year (28) people, we set a bedroom up with video games, snacks, music etc for the kids that range in age 4-16 and a lot of the men join them off and on all night, being a good hostess requires meeting the happiness and comfort of all your guests and keeping them all busy, not all children enjoy animals or adult conversation, it makes it much nicer to socialize yourself. We never know the age of most of the children showing up because my sis inlaw takes in emergency foster children, but any and all receive a gift here. Merry Xmas and I hope its a hassle free one for you.

twinmommy
December 17th, 2005, 11:36 PM
You are sooo right. These kids sound spoiled and rotten. I would be peeved too if they were "waiting to decide if they wanted to come" HA! the nerve!!

The only problem with situations like this is that sometimes you end up unknowingly punishing yourself. If you don't give them their way ( that they are used to getting..ugh) will it backfire on you? Will you have to put up with whining along with your xmas music???

Just a thought, I can sympathize, had dealt with friends obnoxious kids in the past and gave up trying to get them to socialize.

Good luck!;)