Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another help-you-feel-good-about-yourself thread!

papillonmama
December 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Well it's the holidays, and the end of the year is coming up... Not to brag! Just to give light to this time of giving.......... What is the kindest, most selfless act you've done this year?

Give to a charity?
Rescue an animal?
Give food to someone in need?
Offer your time to someone who's lonely?
Compliment a stranger on the bus....

I know you're all a nice bunch of people, maybe we can inspire others. If you feel maybe you touched someone's life, tell us a tale. :)

papillonmama
December 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
It wasn't much this year, mostly I've been dealing with my own stuff, but a few months ago, I brought the kids to eat out, and while I stood in line, a rough looking fellow came up to me and asked very quietly if I could spare change or buy him something to eat. At first, I said I couldn't give him any money, and I placed my order, and as I waited, several people came in and he asked all of them in a very quiet whisper, but no one gave him any food or change. My order came up and the restaraunt traffic died down, and I ordered him a sandwhich, I told the woman just to give it to him when it's done, so he didn't need to be ashamed of me giving it to him, or even feel obliged to thank me, .
There are a lot of people in my area that are hard luck, but I think because he was so embarassed to ask for change or anything that I gave it to him, I just hope he passes on the favor to someone else when he has the things he needs.

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Well, every year I give at least one animal from the WWF to somebody I know...

I also had a dinner tonight for my friends, and even though I spend more money on other people than I do on myself and I'm always broke, it feels good. These are busy people who are working hard and it's nice to give them a "home-cooked" meal every year and have our own Christmas dinner.

When I was growing up, my family situation was not always great, and I decided that sometimes my friends were more family to me than my family, so I started having these. You never know what people's family Christmas will be like, if they have any at all, but I can guarantee that they will at least have one happy, meaningful Christmas dinner. And I've been doing it since I was 16. The first year, I had 55 people over and I cooked everything on my own. I don't know... It just never made sense to me that people should be left out of Christmas because they happened to be stuck in a "bah humbug" family.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Yesterday I gave all of my kids old clothes to a single woman at work that has a two year old boy. We know other moms that we have known longer and would consider closer to us, I gave them to this one women as I knew she needed them more. I donate a small portion of my cheque to the red cross. I would like to have xmas dinner for others but it everyone here has their own families and usually do their own thing on xmas. I think the most important thing in giving or doing something for someone is not to expect anything in return just do it to do something nice.

PRin
Well, every year I give at least one animal from the WWF to somebody I know...

I didnt know the World Wrestling federation had animals. :D

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Not that I consider it a charity,but this year I am having my sons landlord+another renter for Christmas-eve,I know they think Christmas means nothing,but they like me,never really had any Christmas growing up..

Frenchy
December 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM
The best thing I did this year was to become a foster person for a golden rescue.And I always tell Daisy and Bailey that they are a part of it too! I"m having the family over for Christmas eve,witch is a lot for me because I'm a big ZERO in the kitchen!And I always try to smile at people.At the customer were I work,when I go shopping,anywhere.It seems stupid,but people look surprise,smile back and say hello.

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I didnt know the World Wrestling federation had animals. :DThat's why the world wrestling fed became the WWE instead. WWF is World Wildlife Fund... I got my friend a sea turtle this year. This friend had two turtles when she was little and they ran away.:( :D (I find it funny that they "ran" away, but she's still upset about it...)

shannonRN
December 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I don't ever feel like I do enough, but I do small stuff as often as I can. I volunteer time to the hospital for community outreach, to the salvation army this time of year as a 'bell ringer,' and to the closest animal shelter.

In my family, we really only buy gifts for the children, but my husband's family insists on still exchanging gifts. This time of year, we get bombarded with 'what do you want for christmas?" and we can never think of anything. So last year, we started handing out donation envelopes for our local animal shelter and asking for donations to be made. We're kind of the 'snobs' in the family for doing this!!! Whatever.

Probably the thing that has had the most impact on someone recently was when I was in the line at Walmart on Thursday, there was this woman ahead of me who was having the cashier take some things back because she only had $52 to spend. When she had the cashier remove this tiny pair of Sponge Bob slippers, I felt terrible, told her to put those back and made up the difference with the cashier. It was only like 5 bucks but I felt like it made a difference to someone.

I just want to point out that even those without time or money to donate can do a lot for others with small gestures--Like giving up your seat to a senior, holding the door for someone, letting someone ahead of you in line. A person said to me the other day, "Wow, no one ever does that any more."

papillonmama
December 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Wow, great stories all, I really like the turtle Prin. I've always liked presents that fit the person perfectly.
Small things can make all the difference, you don't even know who's life you'll touch when you make a kind gesture.

Frenchy
December 17th, 2005, 05:11 PM
ShannonRN,I think you do plenty!!!Volunteering for all these causes,paying for someone else (that you don't even know) what a great person you are!The only thing you don't do enough is give yourself credit for all these good deeds.The world need more people like you.

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I agree! Shannon, you do more than enough.;) And those sponge Bob slippers? That was a very selfless thing to do.:grouphug:

shannonRN
December 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Aw shucks folks--now I'm embarrassed. I am so far from humanitarian of the year. I wish I could be more caninitarian and felinitarian and foster some kitties and puppies, but Mark says 'nay' (or was it 'neigh'? Maybe he'll let me foster horses!!!)

Shamrock
December 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
What a great thread! It's very heartwarming. As mentioned, even small gestures of kindess can mean a lot. Whether monetary or personal giving - its all about the spirit of sharing.

This year, I decided to eliminate the adult gift-giving in our family
-the adult members have agreed on this. Its so difficult to choose gifts, and really though a nice thing.... not necessary. Gifts for the chilren in the family will of course be the same.

Though I always donate to charities at this time of year, this allowed much more to those who are in need. The money that I "would" have spent was instead donated to a local homeless shelter, Salvation Army and the Christmas Bureau. I havent donated to an animal group yet, havent decided where... but intend to finish up with this one.
I sugggested that family members could do the same with their "saved" cash, if they wish.
This gives me some good feeling, focusing more on the the true spirit of this season.. and less on the extravagant.

Luvmypit
December 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
See that is why I love this board. Full of great people.

I don't volunteer anywhere but I think next year I want to with my step daughter.

One thing that gets me giddy is when I am going through a tims line I sometimes when Im feeling happy buy the person behind me their order then I drive away all excited. I don't even get to see their faces but I know if someone did that to me I would be so happy. The first time I did it i did it b/c me and another car tried to turn into the drivethru line at the same time and he waved me through. I asked the lady what he ordered and he ordered a muffin and coffee I paid for it. I think it made me feel better then it did him or the others I have done it for.

I love doing small things that make people smile... whether it be working extra long with a fellow employee on their project, knowing they appreciate it. Just offering a smile to anyone. sometimes the little things to you mean sooo much to others.

Shamrock
December 19th, 2005, 03:54 PM
This is not exactly related, but I found it to be a telling example of trust and kindess.
On Sat, my sister was walking to some local shops, took a shorcut through a side street. Ahead a distance, she noticed a few scruffy-looking adult men, possibly homeless guys, just standing around. She felt apprehensive to be passing them -were they safe? Feeling threatened by their mere presence, she picked up her pace. Now walking very fast - too fast - she failed to see a curb, and fell hard to the ground. Pain rushed through.. she thought some of fingers were broken, her knees ached. She couldnt move.

The same men that she was in such a hurry to "escape" from.. now hurried over. They gently helped her up, asked her if she was ok.. did she need an ambulance..or a cab? Kind and concerned strangers offering their hand..literally.
She was ok, and soon on her way. How sheepish she felt though, to have the ones she feared now her good samaratians
Kindness to others in need of any type is a gift that can wear any "face" - and that we can all bestow.:love:

doggy lover
December 19th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Working with seniors I find that I am always going the extra mile and giving them a hand or their families. I gave a few $$ to a friend in need,and gave clothing to a family with 4 girls and a mother with cancer that can't work. Gave to the Salvation Army christmas fund. Help my husbands elderly Aunt with groceries and other things when she needs us. I try and help others as much as possible you never know when you might need the favor returned. Just think if you did something nice for someone and in return they did something nice for another person and so on, this world would be a nicer place to live.:love:

Prin
December 19th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Shamrock that was a nice story. Stuff like that happens to me sometimes and it really makes me realize how quick I am to judge when I am not in any position to.:o

melanie
December 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM
quote 'My order came up and the restaraunt traffic died down, and I ordered him a sandwhich, I told the woman just to give it to him when it's done, so he didn't need to be ashamed of me giving it to him, or even feel obliged to thank me,' .

your gunna make me cry, you must have a wonderful spirit and alot of empathy for others, to knwo it would be hard and embarassing for him was a wonderful thing and probably the best thing that has happened to him in ages, thanks for being a nice human, we need more of you....life can be terrible when one has little, it can be foul and often although not the case, considered shameful or embarassing, thats a wonderful story and im sure it will pay out in karma...

speaking of karma, you must all have a good bit, thats great and should make you all proud...

ummmm lets see, well as you know im a volunteer for the WWF and do propagation of endangered plants for them, i got one study finished up and hopefully gained some really good results that will aid others in such attpmpts in the future....

and i was a volunteer at a local sanctuaryi n thier nursary.... umm and im sure other stuff:D

and i didnt yell at everyone so much this year:D , i have tried really hard to control my foul temper esp with those that commit injustice, (catchin flies with honey and all that), although having my times still:angel:

papillonmama
December 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
"Just think if you did something nice for someone and in return they did something nice for another person and so on, this world would be a nicer place to live." doggy lover

I love that idea, I read a book like that once, forget the name of it right now... oh well, I just think that's a great idea, like sharing smiles, smile at a stranger and maybe they'll smile at another stranger, so on and so on.... If everyone did that Christmas shopping would be more like fun.

"One thing that gets me giddy is when I am going through a tims line I sometimes when Im feeling happy buy the person behind me their order then I drive away all excited. I don't even get to see their faces but I know if someone did that to me I would be so happy. " Luvmypit

That's cool, I like that, what a nice way to spread cheer. :D I would be happy.:)

When my kids get a bit older I want to be a fur baby foster mom, right now, they keep me busy. Though, since I'm home so much now, Ive been seriously considering adopting another dog, just have to butter the hubby up a bit more! We'll see what happens in the new year.

You're all a bunch of heros!:D

:o Geeze melanie, your post made me blush. Thanks:)

StormySkiez
December 21st, 2005, 07:25 AM
I have made a lifetime commitment to caring for the five abandoned cats I adopted ten years ago. It has been a lot of work (all of them are indoor kittys) and money. I had two kids to help with the work involved, but now the kids have grown and left me with all the pets.

I felt good for a long time taking the cats in, but now I feel over whelmed with everything. I try to remind myself I have done a good thing (amidst all the housework), rescuing the cute little felines, that helps me feel good again.

Rottielover
December 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM
I adopted a kitty, I broke my bank account, and christmas presents to care for poor Harley. I have helped single moms younger than me cope with life. As I am still coping

Jazz&Cricket
December 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM
A long, long time ago, I decided to support Foster Parents Plan so I have 2 little girls that I sponsor. At this time of year, I divide my donations between human causes and animals causes :) I'd like to do more but there's only so many $$$ in my pocket. I work on the board of a local shelter and would love to be able to foster more animals...but with 4 dogs and 2 cats of my own...I think my DH would protest. :)

glasslass
December 26th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I cared for a "found" puppy for a week, advertised to find his owner, and found a good home for him when the owners didn't come forward. When he left with his new mommy, I felt so incredibly happy!