Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cats have a love/hate relationship

heather331
December 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
i adopted both of my cats within a week of each other. one was in the home first before the other. when they were first together they would hiss and growl at each other. they quickly got over it and became very good friends. they would often lay together. i have many pictures of them like this. i got to thinking today about these pictures and realized that all the pictures i have of them now they are by themselves in and i rarely see them laying together. they often hiss at each other and chase each other while hissing. they play fight but then sometimes it goes to far. they dont hurt each other but they arent nice to each other either. they do still clean each other though. they lick each other and clean out each other ears. they look so sweet and loving while doing this but then later one will walk by the other and just hiss out of meanness. does anyone else have cats that do this, love each other one minute then hate then next?

badger
December 15th, 2005, 10:58 PM
If they are not neutered, getting them fixed would probably take the edge off. My own cats are a bit like this, although they don't play together. If they hurt each other (usually one will take most of the aggression), a loud NO is in order. I find my cats are quite responsive to NO and there is in fact a bit of a pecking order, as with dogs. I am definitely the boss around here!

heather331
December 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM
they are both girls and they are both spayed. its not a big issue cause they dont really "fight" but i was just wondering if anyone else had cats that did this, hiss and growl at each other, and then clean each other like they are best friends.

jiorji
December 18th, 2005, 06:54 AM
yes mine do that.

There's a lot of chasing and biting and the little one's always looking for a safe spot. They almost never sit together. There's a rare grooming session. Even now... it's 8 am..un ungodly hour to be up on a Sunday but I can't sleep from the constant attacks(oh boy this needs a new thread on its own)

Anyway.. I'm not sure it's love...some cats just aren't meant to share their space

heather331
December 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM
hi, i just read your thread and it sounds as though your situation is a bit different than mine. my cats hiss and fight but i think it just cause that are moody and are being women. ...haha lol. they also love each other too and i know they do. they will both sleep with me at night. they dont cuddle together or anything but they dont mind being near one another.

chico2
December 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I have 3 neutered males and things like you describe happen,not too much hissing and growling,but chasing and playfight until it gets a little out of hand,then I just need to clap my hands and they seperate.
My Chico however does not like Vinnie too close and quickly puts him in his place,they'll never be friends,but no fighting..sometimes they are found sharing a window:D

shannonRN
December 18th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I have 2 adult females too, but one had been with us about 5 years before we adopted the second. I have experienced a scenario a lot like yours--they were uneasy at first, then seemed to become pals almost, then as the newbie settled in more, there were more territiorial type spats where they chase each other around and swat at each other.

All I can say is, cats are territorial by nature, and they are both probably trying very hard to set limits on the other cat since they are both in a new environment. What I learned from my 2 is that cats are quite slow to adapt, and even after 4 months I still see my kitties "jockying" for position and their relationship is still "evolving." Sounds like your kitties are doing really well together--just girl cats being girl cats.

DrmnOfMaui
December 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
We have had our two adult female (spayed) cats for 14 and 13 years, respectively. They have never really been "buddies"... the most friendly thing they do is occasionally snif noses then look at each other, then turn and walk the other way. On other occasions though, they also will hiss and swat. I have one that was a wild stray and she still "hunts" for us on a daily basis (lovely pieces of mouse left by the doorstep almost every evening...) and she is definetly able to take care of herself. The other is a fat indoor sissy. Amazingly enough, the indoor cat swats the heck out of the outdoor cat.... I know that the outdoor one could just pummel the indoor one but she doesn't! The indoor cat even insists on choosing which food bowl she will eat out of in the evening that the outdoor one just lets her.... .kind of a wierd realationship, but it works. You'd think after 13 years they would actaully get to be buddies... Ah well!

Kim