Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice

pitbulliest
December 15th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hey guys...I ordered the book "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog" by Wendy Volhard and Kerry..and its finally won me over. I am ready to swtich to raw. I'm hoping that because I feed Messina home cooked food, the switch won't be so drastic.

I will also be reading a few other books I ordered first...just to get different viewpoints and tips..

I have a very important question for you guys and hope you will be able to help me out:

1. Where do I get the meat from and what types of meats are best?
I live in Toronto and to be honest, I have no idea where or if there is a butcher shop around here...anyone?

2. How do I prepare the meat? I am very worried about bacteria and things like salmonella. How do I ensure that it is stored and prepared for feeding the safest way possible?

By the way. The book was great...completely "newbie" friendly. I will be reading more though of course.

Thanks guys. I appologize if this sounds repetitive to some of you.
If anyone has any more advice they would like to throw at a newbie, please DO SO!!!

(I know I'm not posting this in the right section, but please understand that no one checks the other section! lol its kinda urgent)

babyrocky1
December 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I think Kayla and Me was doing this for a while, maybe you could pm her, or we should think of a time to meet up soon anyways and you guys could talk about it, I know, because Im really far from any grocery store, I havent even considered it.

seeker
December 15th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Check out Ryan's/Global pet food stores they have a line of food that is raw and frozen . I have some "Prairie"organic chicken in the fridge right now . Just nuke it or let it thaw , the dogs love it .
The website www.naturesvariety.com
We supplement their diets with this raw food and feed them a Holistic kibble named 'Evolve" .It is a blend of "human" grade foods including lamb, chicken, cheese, yogurt, various fruits, vegetables and herbs. We also add some canned meat to this mix , variety is essential to good health. Not just for dogs but us as well.

babyrocky1
December 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks Seeker, I think theres on kind of close to me. Its a "global Pet food" would that be the sameI checked the site, Umbrella Pets is near to me, within walking distance, Does it take time for them to adjust to the new diet?

seeker
December 15th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Global is the one I don't know the other one at all .
Yes it is something you have to introduce to the dogs or else it can get messy .When we switched we blended the original food with this new stuff first at 75/25 , 50/50 , 75/25 then 100% . We did this over about 10 days and all was well with their stomachs.
They are pretty healthy 11,9,6 years and one at 6 months and I think the extra cost of the food is offset by the lower vet bills .

BoxerRescueMTL
December 15th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Hi! I'm just cutting and pasting this, I answered your other thread but in case you don't see it:
Hey pitbulliest! Congrats on making a great decision The BEST thing to do is join this yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawDogCanada/
It is the biggest Canadian rawfeeding group (over 1500 members) with amazing info. ALL your questions will be answered there and many members are in Ontario so they can help you source your meat.
Go to Chinatown to buy your meat - great deals and variety.
Feed fresh, human grade meat. Use common sense and sanitary practices, you'll be fine
Check out http://www.poshnosh.ca if you are interested in paying extra for prepackaged stuff. They are the best raw dogfood company around by far. You can even email/call them for support and to ask questions.
Also, check out the BARF forum at http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/
http://rawlearning.com/ http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Good luck!

mesaana
December 15th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Crystal,

I think it's poshnosh.ca and not .com

Lyne

Me and Kayla
December 16th, 2005, 12:28 AM
I recently heard of a place on St. Andrews St. in Kensington Market, that will grind up the meat and bones (40lbs for about $15.00). Several other BARF feeders use this place. I have yet to check it out, but will be doing so very shortly. I'll post the info when I get back. The BARF diet can be very expensive, but as said, it is offset by the cost of the vets bills. Variety is key and it is wise to set up a meal plan for your dog so that you know they are getting all the nutrients necessary for optimum health. Some suppliment with vitamins and minerals, and some don't. I supplement, and I also use Wellness canned food for quick alternatives when I run out of turkey carcasses etc. I never feed kibble though because it makes Kayla itch and it has usually got some kind of 'filler' such and corn or grains. That is just a personal choice, however, mixing kibble and raw at the same times can often cause intestinal upset.

I also found a homeopathic vet when I started this diet because many regular vets didn't support me on my choice to feed raw.

Pick one spot to feed the raw so that you only have one spot to clean up. I don't do anything more than just wash my floor with vinegar and water and I stay away from cleaners because the food often ends up on my kitchen floor during the consumption of it.

Here are a couple of groups that can help you with your choices.

BARF-lite@yahoogroups.com
RawDogCanada@yahoogroups.com

Best of luck and if you find any cheap places for meat, share please! :D

Me and Kayla

pitbulliest
December 16th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks alot guys..I just joined the dograwcanada group....waiting for acception..

As for the chinese market...is the quality of meat good? I heard some people recommend only organic...in that case I might as well become homeless...I wouldn't be able to afford that no way!

I never thought of grinding up the bones and meat..that sounds like a good idea..you mean instead of feeding it whole so the dog can chew on the bones and so on? IT sounds safer....there's probably even LESS chance of getting a bone stuck in the throat that way...good call!

I will definately be asking the group some questions...
thanks alot you guys..if anyone has anything else to add, I will be checking back on this post for sure :)

Me and Kayla
December 16th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks alot guys..I just joined the dograwcanada group....waiting for acception..

As for the chinese market...is the quality of meat good? I heard some people recommend only organic...in that case I might as well become homeless...I wouldn't be able to afford that no way!

I never thought of grinding up the bones and meat..that sounds like a good idea..you mean instead of feeding it whole so the dog can chew on the bones and so on? IT sounds safer....there's probably even LESS chance of getting a bone stuck in the throat that way...good call!

I will definately be asking the group some questions...
thanks alot you guys..if anyone has anything else to add, I will be checking back on this post for sure :)

As long as you don't cook the bones, most dogs can handle them. It would surprise you at how little trouble they have chomping on them. I give Kayla whole turkey carcasses and she devours them. Grinding up the meat and bones makes it easy for me to add pureed veggies to the mix. She doesn't like her veggies without meat in them.

As for organic....forget it. Way too expensive. If you are varying the diet you shouldn't have any problems. I don't feed beef though, cuz I think it is too loaded with artificial hormones, and for some reason, it also makes her itch. Kayla has allergies which is why I started this diet in the first place. Her skin and coat cleared up within weeks of being on the raw.

BoxerRescueMTL
December 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I think it's poshnosh.ca and not .com

You're right Lyne! Thanks, I always mess that up! :)

pitbulliest
December 17th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Kayla..if we meet up this week or whenever....do you have any sample recipes of what you would normally give her?

If you don't use beef, how do to put variety into it..I guess change between chicken, turkey and such?

Sorry about all the questions, but you're actually being quite helpful...oh, and do you use any grains at all?

I know that you're not supposed to mix meat with grains..you can mix grains with veggies though, or veggies with meat...right?

:o

BoxerRescueMTL
December 17th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Here's another good link pitbulliest. It an FAQ with so many questions answered, when I was starting out it really helped http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm
For variety, turkey, chicken, lamb, quail, venison, tripe (the best!)pork (especially necks) anything you can get your hands on. And any parts you can find too, like liver, heart, lung etc. At first though, you want to stick to one source until your dog gets used to it, then slowly introduce new things.

pitbulliest
December 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah I looked at that one too..thanks so much..

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
If you could get a hold of Luba,she's been feeding her dog Sadie,homecooked since day one.

pitbulliest
December 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Wooo... I'd like to hear more about that...

Me and Kayla
December 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Wooo... I'd like to hear more about that...

Happy to give you a general version of the diet when we next meet. :) However, as I said, Kayla is on a restricted barf diet because of allergies, so her diet wouldn't be appropriate for Messina.

There are a couple of books available on the subject to help you. Check out the barf-lite site or some of the other sites. They can direct you to some good reading material in the meantime. Finding a good Vet who supports BARF diets is also really helpful.

Me and Kayla