Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does your dog smile/laugh?

Gripenfelter
December 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I saw a program a few nights ago on TV about a study that was done into whether or not dogs smile/laugh. I only caught the end of the program.

Do you ever notice your dog sitting and panting while staring at you but he's not hot or tired?

New study says that when your dog does that he's actually smiling or laughing.

I caught the end of the show when they played a tape of a dog panting in a room full of dogs. After about a couple of minutes, all the dogs in the room seemed "happier" and were panting as well.

Also explains why dogs stop panting when they are mad or about to attack something.

Daizy
December 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I'm sure my dog does. I thought I read somewhere that they don't but she's such a happy dog, its almost like she's smiling sometimes (& or laughing when she's up to her little tricks ~ she's so funny!). Personally, I think they do and those that say they don't are wrong - ;)

SnowDancer
December 15th, 2005, 03:12 PM
My Eskimo has a gorgeous smile - now if only he would smile for the camera instead of lowering his head and flattening his fur. Laughs like a dolphin - and no doubt tonight when we are inundated with 30 cm of snow he will be seriously grinning as he downs the snow.

StaceyB
December 15th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I took some pics today of my daycare girls, they are clearly smiling. Take a look.

Roxy's_MA
December 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I know my dog smiles:D

Prin
December 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I don't believe what they said about laughing. I don't know what dogs laugh at or how they laugh, but it's not that panting thing. That would imply that dogs only laugh when they're playing (she called it "play panting") and I don't think my dogs are that narrowminded.

Jemma pants when she really has to pee, and there ain't nuthin' funny 'bout that.;)

But I mean, dogs cry, fear, have anxiety, get angry, so I don't see why they wouldn't laugh. I just don't think the panting thing is it. And she said it calmed all the dogs down. If it was laughter, wouldn't they all eventually start laughing too?

Lissa
December 15th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Prin, I agree that panting necessarily means the dog is laughing - although it certainly looks like a happy face. Our old dog use to pant when she had to relieve herself too and when there was a thunderstorm or hot air balloon (which she was deathly afraid of!)

StaceyB - You guys had a birthday party!?!? That's so cute! Look at all the toys!! Skadi is gorgeous...not to mention Montana's baby pictures, what a cutie!:D

I forgot to mention, Dodger only pants when he's doing some major physical exercise...which usually only happens outdoors.

Gripenfelter
December 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Jemma pants when she really has to pee, and there ain't nuthin' funny 'bout that.;)

Have you ever laughed so hard you peed? :D

StaceyB
December 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM
We had the birthday party last week. Five of the dogs are in rescue and are looking for a home.

Prin
December 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Have you ever laughed so hard you peed? :D
Maybe, but this is the reverse... This is peeing so hard you have to laugh?:D

doggy lover
December 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM
We use to ask my last dog Travis to smile and yep he would show you all his white pearly's, now when Tucker see's his ball is going to be thrown for him I know that he smiles, what do you think?

Dog Mom
December 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Gibson's smile

SarahLynn123
December 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Belles smiles when we get home from work, she shows all her teeth and does this biting air thing as she dances around. I cant ever seem to get a picture though :mad: I do have some of them all smiling!!!

First here is Shadow

SarahLynn123
December 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Check out the Pomeranian,

SarahLynn123
December 20th, 2005, 12:20 PM
And here is Belle. We tell her to pose for the camera and she smiles and turns her ears back

SarahLynn123
December 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
This is her without posing:

SarahLynn123
December 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
This is the pic I was looking for. It looks like he is smiling!!!

Prin
December 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
That one is definitely a smile.:)

SarahJane
December 24th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Hi all! Been ages since I posted but I couldn't resist this one... take a look at Herbie's big grin:

Prin
December 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Hi all! Been ages since I posted but I couldn't resist this one... take a look at Herbie's big grin:
Yeah, pugs have to be the smiliest doggies.:)

joanna
December 24th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Kind of late to the thread... but our 13 weeks old Royce knows how to smile too!

quickasabiscuit
December 25th, 2005, 11:59 PM
my dalmatian used to smile. I have a picture somewhere but I don't know where it is. She was so beautiful smiling.

.unknown.
December 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM
This is Luna's pretty smile!