Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Picking up after your dog

SchnauzerGirl
December 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I am not sure if there is a bylaw in place in my town about picking up after your dog poops, and if there isn't, there should be one!

While I was waiting at the stop sign today, I saw a younger woman walking her yorkie and when it started to poop, she looked the other way and when it was done, she walked away with the doggie doo just sitting there on the sidewalk. I felt like rolling down my window and yelling at her to pick it up! I cannot tell you how many times I have stepped in poop when I am walking at night because some irresponsible owner hasn't picked up after their dog! :evil:

Do people not realise that you can buy biodegradable bags, not to mention dispensers and even poop "holders" to put the poop bag into until you can find a garbage can to dispose of it? I always pick up after my dog and they should too!

Thanks for listening :o

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I don't think there is a town in North America that doesn't have a poopiescoop bylaw.... I would yell. I mean, people like that ruin it for the rest of us.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I always pick up Joeys poop, one person let there dog poop right outside the door of my kids school, I mean right outside, first step out and you step right in it. :mad:

On Joeys walk today there was dog poop about every 15 feet its gross.

Shamrock
December 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Sheesh, that reminds me. I have a poop baggy still in my jacket pocket from last night's walk!:eek:

I hate seeing this - its gross,and everywhere, it seems.
And for those who dont have, or particularly like dogs, doesnt do much for the dog-owner image.
Its just plain inconsiderate. I love the ones who "pretend' to not see.:mad:
Excuse me... your dog dropped something...

BMDLuver
December 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I have a remedy for that... I politely but in a very loud voice say "Excuse me, did you not bring a bag?" while politely dangling one from my hand. If they still try to walk away, I can take out my handy dandy cellphone camera and take a picture.. that usually finishes them off! :D

SchnauzerGirl
December 14th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Hey, now there is a good reason to own a camera phone!

I am so non confrontational, but I am getting annoyed enough that next time, I'm going to yell. As a matter of fact, I still have my hiking boots on my back deck because they are FULL of dog feces and I haven't the stomach to clean them in the tub. :sick: it is one thing cleaning up my doggy's poop....

joeysmama
December 14th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Cooper is still in the housebreaking stage and we just need to clean up our own yard. But when poor old Joey was still with us he liked to take a long loop around the neighborhood. We used to bring a poop bag and paper towels. When he would start to squat for a poop we would slip a paper towel under his tush and it would land on that. Pick it up by the corners and plunk the whole thing right in the bag. You don't have to feel the warm poop through the bag and if it's soft you don't leave any residue in the grass. (Is this too gross a description?:rolleyes: )

I don't know how this would work for big guys but for the little ones it's perfect !!

But someone was walking a german shepherd in the neighborhood for a while and they would stand there and smile and chat with people and then walk away with big doggie piles in their wake. They didn't even have the decency to pretend they forgot a bag. The dog was beautiful but the owners were not so popular.

papillonmama
December 14th, 2005, 08:15 PM
"BMDLuver
I politely but in a very loud voice say "Excuse me, did you not bring a bag?"

I like that, I would say, "hey, you dropped something." Of course they'll look around, and when you stand over their doggy poop, I'm sure it's easy to get the hint. And if they look at you like you'e crazy, ask, "do you need a bag? I have an extra."

Puppyluv
December 14th, 2005, 09:02 PM
It drives me nuts when people don't pick up after their dogs. I have had days where Layla goes a couple extra times, and have had to resort to empty starbucks cups to pick up her poop, so that it's not left on the ground. (Hey, that's a 2 for 1-I pick up someone else's garbage, and Layla's) If I see someone making the grand offense, I usually come over and tell them that I have an extra bag, and hand them one. (I once added an extra 2 km to a run just to get to a guy to give him a bag:o )
That being said, I read a little comentary in the NYT sunday mag. one day, and it gave me a new outlook. It basically said this: At your local park, hundreds, if not thousands of "dog equivalents" go for a walk each day, and do their business(equivalents meaning that if your dog walks through the park three times in one day, it counts as three dogs). In that park, you likely encounter a maximum of 25 unscooped poops. thats 25/1000 or a mere 2.5% of poops that go unscooped. What a tiny number!
So while I absolutely can't stand it when people don't pick up after their dogs, it's a pretty small thing in the grand scheme of things.

twodogsandacat
December 14th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Where we walk is private property that is maintained by the city as it is part of a trail but bylaws are not enforced by the city. Their ability to ticket for off leash dogs and poop laws stops at the gate. It’s like a border crossing when they do their periodic enforcement. Three of them hide behind a van about fifty yards from the gate and step out and issue warnings or fines once the owner comes through the gate with an off leash dog. We cheerfully say hello as we pass them on the way in and then unleash soon as we are at the gate. It's not breaking the law if there is no law but common sense and respect for others goes beyond laws.

Because of this ‘no mans land’ people do take advantage. It gets worse in the winter when the city removes the garbage containers. All along the trail are little reminders that people really have no respect for others.

Even more confusing is the poop bags scattered along the trail. I mean they have the decency to pick up the poop but they then dump the bag on the ground. If the bag is intact I’ll pick it up or slip it into one of mine.

I always have bags on me. I pay a dollar at the ‘dollar store’ for fifty bags. They are worth every penny and the quality is as good as the bags you buy at three times the cost at PetSmart.

By the way the same people that have no respect regarding poop are the same people that don’t leash up as families with kids in strollers pass them – this is why the city shows up at the gate every once in a while. You can tell a lot about a person by what they do with their poop.

Case in point. 6:30 in the morning at a nature area. We arrive as a lady is changing her shoes. Her dog is still off leash as he charges towards us. “He’s friendly” she cries “Mine’s nervous of strange dogs” I cry back. Then she puts him in the car and pulls away from the handicap spot she is parked in. That parking spot saved her a ten-foot walk from the non-handicapped parking. So far I’m not liking this woman. Then we step into the nature area and there in the middle of the trail - is a still steaming pile of dog poop. Nice.

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I've seen ppl let their dogs poop right next to the actual bag dispenser and trash bin and not pick it up, fact of it is, there are few responsible owners (present company excluded) out there these days. I take extra bags with me and loudly ask if they forgot one and here have an extra. If nothing else, they look rather ashamed and quick pick it up (with a few expletives of course!) since I'm NOT quiet. Public humiliation works wonders sometimes.

Okami
December 15th, 2005, 12:43 AM
There's a bylaw in my city for not picking up doggy poop. Was I ever glad. Now I'm not afraid to walk on the grass anymore.

BernerLver
December 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Public humiliation works wonders sometimes.

Agreed. I am very conscious of this as I would hate for anyone to think I am an irresponsible owner.

I usually take 2 bags on walks with Bailey just in case. While one time I didn't and had already throw out the bag with the first "deposit" in the garbage.

I wasn’t far from home so I decided to run home, get a bag and come back but I was worried someone would think I was just leaving it there so I started talking in a very loud voice explaining that I didn't have another bag and that I was going home to get one!

I'm sure people were less concerned about the poop and more concerned about the crazy lady talking to herself in the park. :confused:

Bushfire2000
December 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I'm blessed with little doggies ,mostly.
I have used sandwich bags much cheaper than actual doggie bags (at least around here) and easy to come by.
I absolutly can't stand people who don't pick up the doggie do. And I wonder if they are the same people who wonder why others don't like dogs in the park/playground.

Dog Dancer
December 15th, 2005, 11:37 AM
This is a funny thread. People are all so different, and I too have offered a bag to people who were going to leave their deposits behind. I'm (excuse the pun) somewhat anal about this! I always have at least four bags in my pocket (two large dogs). I also buy the dollar store bags 60 for $1.00 and they're vanilla scented:thumbs up . Yesterday I got a package in the mail from my mother back East and it had three pairs of undies in it for me and a whole mess of clear plastic bags that she saves for me. She spent $10 to mail me poop bag:eek: Even my mother supports pooper scooping and she doesn't own a dog.

Roxy's_MA
December 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Even my mother supports pooper scooping and she doesn't own a dog.

Me too. My mom alway buys the fancy ones for when Roxy comes over.(I just use old grocery bags). She does work for a town off ice, and is very anal about by-laws.

meb999
December 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I was thrilled when I first got Buster as a foster -- the first day I was out walking him (I had like 5 bags in my pocket because I didn't know how much he would poo in one walk :o ) and a police car drove by, stopped next to me and asked if I had a bag for my dog -- I said 'yes...uh why?' and he answered that they can give tickets if your walking your dog without a baggie !!! I was thrilled!! That means you don't actually have to get caught in the act!

I often pick up other dogs poo :mad: There aren't too many dogs in my neighborhood and I'm always afraid that people will think it's mine that pooped, so I pick it up....:yuck:

Dog Dancer
December 15th, 2005, 12:32 PM
I remember once walking the dogs in the dark and I couldn't find one of the poops, so the next day at the park I felt obligated to pick up all the stray poops I could find to balance it out. (Yes the dog was on a leash, but the BF had her and was a ways ahead of me..) Last week when I was out walking in the early morning darkness I came across the two coyotes that live in our neighbourhood. So now I'm thinking - Who's cleaning up after them?? And us good doggy owners are going to get blamed for the stray poops from these critters. Although I don't mind them being around at all, they didn't even look at us (they're not interested in two big doggies or their owner). They were just minding their own business looking for kitties and rats I guess. But there's another poop issue in my neighbourhood!

mafiaprincess
December 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I want vanilla scented poopie bags!!

I use the bags the Toronto Star comes in when it's yucky outside.

I just wish that there were garbage cans anywhere I walk.. I'd like to get rid of the poop at some point, though I can live obviously. Just be nice if there were cans anywhere... Would cut back hopefully on random litterign too.

I'm with Twodogsandacat on people leaving the poop in a bag, on a trail. Why'd you bag it to leave it? Least it would eventually degrade on it's own.. but not in a grocery bag..

mummummum
December 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
This thread just goes to show that no topic is taboo to the true dawg and cat people ! Living in a very leafy part of the city and living with a walk-n-pooper dawg, I have learned (as I usually do - the hard way) that a mini-mag flashlight attached to my keychain is indispensable in finding poop-plops in the dark in amongst the fallen leaves. Like every other dawg person, I too have been forced into penance-poop morning collection BUT, I firmly believe that those amongst us who routinely fail to do their duty will come back in the next life as a shoe whose wearer always steps in the poop or that patch of lawn which is favoured by all the dawgs in the park or a poop bag... go ahead - dare to dream.:evil:

Frenchy
December 16th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Before I moved here,I used to walk my dogs mornings and evenings and always pick up after them.It got me mad to see every morning people letting out their little dogs out the front door and let them go on others poeple yard to do their thing.Then one day,I got the heat for it!A woman came out of her house screaming at me,I showed her the bag full of poop I had in my hand,still did not believe me,she was a real b**** about it.So It made me find a house,and a city more pet friendly.It' more rural,I only see one house from my place,all around are farmer's fields.I go there to walk my dogs now,and still pick up their poop.

jawert1
December 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I leave the house with no less than 2 bags per dog, depending on the day either of them is having :) And my folks do the same thing, send me bags, bones, supplies in general since they know I'm prone to shaming bad owners into picking up their crap (including kids - seems to be a trend these days). Cleaning up the world one pile at a time!

babyrocky1
December 16th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Im forever running out of bags, I have used large dried leaves, paper towels, bills that I have hanging around in my purse, etc. etc. Im the most un-organized person on the planet! I do buy the little plastic bags on the roll at the dollar store but I never know were they are, luckily we have a corner store by my apt. so if I really need too I go in and ask for a produce bag LOL...they are very understanding! The other day, I followed Rocky through the most ridiculouse route of bushes and trees, my hair got caught on a branch, I was dropping things all over the place, finally he did his thing and I very responsibly, although akwardly picked it up, upon climbing out of the bushes, my first step landed right in a pile of someone elses poop!!!!:mad: ::crazy:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 16th, 2005, 10:29 PM
THe other day I was walking Joey I usually have bags stuffed in all my pockets and for our long walk I bring four just in case. This time I had a brain fart and decided to change jackets just at the last minute. Well silly me forget the bags. As usual Joey had his movement right on our route.I realised at that moment that I had forgotten the bags panicking I was like what do I do, I was gonna run accross the street to the grocery store and borrow one, but luck would have it another dog person was walking by and I sheepishly asked to borrow one. :D

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 01:21 AM
But then there is the other side... A friend's doggy peed on the edge of a guy's lawn and he looked at her and said, "Well? Where's your bag?":rolleyes:

I talked to a cop about the responsibility of dog owners and front lawns, etc and (even though most cops will probably tell me something different) this particular cop said that you have to have at least one bag on you all the time. He said that if you use one on your walk and walk home empty-handed, you could get a fine for not intending to poopiescoop. I don't know if that's true, but I always have tons and if I run out by chance, I keep the last load with me....

Lucky for Mel, she can use her bare hands and never get in trouble at all... lol I still remember that...:evil:

Stewart
December 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM
[FONT="System"][COLOR="Blue"]Hey I agree with you its truly disgusting when folk dont clean up behind their dogs. I to adopt the "dont you have a bag?" approach if I see a owener walking on without cleaning up! My only problem is I always carry them and usually remember that I had some left in my pocket when they fall out of the washing machine all soggy :eek:

Toonces
December 17th, 2005, 06:13 AM
When I was a teenager living at home my dad found a very effective way of embarassing people that did not pick up their dogs poop.

Someone let their very large dog do its business on our lawn so my dad made a big sign that said If "I wanted poop on my yard I would get my own dog" with an arrow pointing at the poop, we then sat in the front window and watched people walk their dogs by the house and scurry by really fast but the best was when the man whos dog had pooped there came by the next day, the look on his face was priceless.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Prin

But then there is the other side... A friend's doggy peed on the edge of a guy's lawn and he looked at her and said, "Well? Where's your bag?"
It seems that Joey cant pee anywhere in our neighbourhood, everyone had perfect lawns, I think they would not be amused if he peed on them. I usually let him pee behind our house, or on the other side of the steet where their are no houses. Just landscaping. Thats one good thing about our 5 am walks is that no one sees you. Joey always poops on the same lawn (of course I always clean it up) But I know the women and she has a dog that also poops on her lawn. So she knows that Joey does his 5am movements on her lawn.

Also would do you do about the little smear that is sometimes left on the grass, do you pull the grass out too so the smear it not there.

joeysmama
December 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM
That's what we loved about our paper towel routine---no smears ! But you have to be quick--you don't want your timing to be off and have it land in your hand ! :rolleyes:

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I used to dread when my doggies had diarrhea... It was so hard to clean up and Boo would never make it to the park either...:o :o I find it cleans better if you go with two hands in the bag instead of just one. You can get a better grip...:o

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Picking up poop is all new to me since walking my neighbors Cocker.
First time I brought one bag and she pooped 3 times,it got awfully messy:eek:
I too use the bags the Toronto Star comes in,otherwise I just grab any 3 bags.
I was wandering about the peeing too,I remember my own grass having big dead spots when I had my own dog eons ago.
What do you do when she seems to prefer to pee on peoples lawns?

Luvmypit
December 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Good quesstion Chico. I too wonder about the pee on peoples lawn. I don't let capone, I usually walk him on the road just in case until we get to the open field. My BF allows capone to pee on peoples lawn and I have had the argument about it with him.... I don't think its nice unless you are doing so on your own front yard or the dog just goes cause he can't hold it.

I had about 2 months ago the lady that lives 2 doors down walked her dog to my lawn and let her dog poop. She didn't know I was on the balcony having a smoke...... The thing is I saw the dog on the lawn but never saw the poop so when my BF saw it and was so mad he wanted to go and drop it on their doorstep.... I told him next time you can. So I always watch this lady she seems a little nuts... She slammed the door in my StepD's face when she rang the bell because her and the neighbourhood kids had accidently lost a ball in her backyard. All the more reason to smear poop all over her front door... Did I say smear?

SchnauzerGirl
December 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM
We once had a "war" with the neighbours over their dog going to the bathroom in our yard... we ended up shovelling all their dog's poop and dumping it in their yard in a pile. This was quite effective because they stopped letting their dog go in our yard!

I try not to let Schultz go pee on people's lawns either but sometimes it is easier said than done! Thank goodness he is more of a sniffer than a marker.