Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think I might be adopted by a cat

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM
For the past week or so there has been this little black and white patched cat meowing outside my window. At first I thought she might be in heat, meowing for our resident (fixed) male, but now I think she's meowing cause she's hungry (I say "she" but am no longer sure of the sex). I think this because it isn't so much an "in heat" howl, but a short "I'm hungry" meow. Every morning I have woken up, looked out my window and there she is. The first couple times she saw me looking out at her she ran away. This morning she woke me up meowing so I tapped on the window and instead of running she jumped up to the ledge below the window and looked up at me. I started to open the window to invite her in but the window is covered in ice and made lots of scary crackling noises and she ran away. She will be back though, she always is. Anyways, I think she may have decided to adopt me, in which case, well, I suppose I have no choice in the matter ;) But I just have a few questions.

First, what are the chances she is someone else's cat? She has been here consistently at night and throughout the day and I just don't feel like she has another place to go, but how can I be sure? She also has no collar and is kinda dirty... Maybe she is lost? I haven't seen any posters up though. Should I make some and post them? How far do cats usually travel from home? How big of a radius around my home should I post the ads if I decide to go this route?

Also, other than leaving out some food and shelter is there anything else I should be doing? Just gradually gain her trust and see if she wants to adopt me permanently? I was going to put out Kayla's crate and throw some old blankets over it for shelter. I was also thinking of getting some flea stuff in case she decides to come inside at one point (don't know if she has fleas but want to be safe). Am I missing anything?

StaceyB
December 14th, 2005, 10:06 AM
She is probably lost and hungry. Have you tried to pick her up, is she friendly? Cats can travel quite a distance from home. I would call all the vets, HS, SPCA, animal control in your area to let them know that you have found a cat and to see if anyone has reported one missing that fits her description. I would also check the newspaper, you may also want to call them to check if there was an ad in the past couple of weeks that could be her. I would also put some posters up in your neighbourhood. If you haven't found her after 10 days, she is yours if you want her. I would really try your best to find out if someone is missing her before you decide to keep her and if possible bring her inside. It is too cold for her to remain outside.

Lucky Rescue
December 14th, 2005, 10:32 AM
IF she's hanging around in this freezing weather, she's probably just another of Montreal's million stray/abandoned cats. She may have gotten in heat and owners got tired of the howling - who knows.

You need to get her in before her ears and tail are frostbitten and isolate her until you can take her to the vet for a check up and spay (if she is intact).

Don't bother getting any flea stuff at the pet store. Wait til the vet visit and see if she actually has fleas or worms first.

poodletalk
December 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Kayla, if you bring her in and she needs to be spayed. Let me know, I can get you reduced rate on sterilization and first vacination.

Bushfire2000
December 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you have a new cat.

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Well I put Kayla's crate outside my bedroom door surrounded in pillows and blankets for insulation. I'm going to go pick up some food for her too, I have some canned kitten food leftover from fostering but it'll freeze pretty quickly in this weather! I suppose if she continues to hang out and comes inside I will put up found cat posters but in this neighborhood I doubt anyone will answer (there are soooo many strays around here). Poodletalk thanks so much for the offer, I may just take you up on that! Out of curiousity is there a spay and release program in Montreal? There are so many unfixed feral cats around here, it would be so great if there was some sort of program like that to help out with the problem...

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Oh yay I just looked in my pet cupboard and found an unopened bag of Science Diet kitten kibble I had completely forgotten about, this should be fine even though she's an adult right? I'm guessing she can use the extra calories! I even found my old cat dish which I thought I had thrown out, and I still have a scratching post, seems like I've just been waiting for a cat to come along and adopt me :rolleyes:

poodletalk
December 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Yes! There's a spay and release program in Ville.ST.Laurent I believe it's with the catochat somehting like that. We were working on a catch and release program in Verdun, but the city wouldn't give us any funding. Even though it's proven that there's less cats in the long run with the catch and release program then destroying them. We are going to try again to do the catch and release program this year in Verdun. Also, steri-animal also does catch and release.

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 12:17 PM
So if I brought in strays from Point Saint Charles would they release them in Ville Saint Laurent or back here or would they not let me bring them in at all?

poodletalk
December 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I don't think they will take in stray cats in Point St.Charles and release them in Ville St.Laurent. Like everywhere, there's tons of stray cats, so I THINK they work strickly in Ville St.Laurent. You can always call them and find out.

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Guess that makes sense. Too bad, there are so many strays in my area!

StaceyB
December 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I didn't realize that there were so many strays there.

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
You have no idea StaceyB, it's ridiculous. Especially in my neighborhood. If anyone wanted a free cat here all they would have to do is leave out some food and they would end up with a colony of cats to choose from. Maybe because it is a poor medium density neighborhood, most cats are outdoor cats and most unaltered. Not everyone has the extra means to spay/neuter or for health care. About 1 in 10 has a collar and looks like it has a home, the rest just live off neighborhood scraps. In the winter it is especially noticeable, especially right outside my bedroom door is where many congregate, as it is relatively sheltered and dog-free.

StaceyB
December 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Wow, I didn't know. All could think of when I read your original post was that kitty must be missed by her family. I would never had thought that she was a stray. The strays I have seen are ferrel and wouldn't hang out at someones house unless there was something to get.
Trenton has a growing family of strays. I caught one of them years ago as it was a very young kitten, tamed it and found it a home. They are very difficult to catch because they live under a warehouse. The only entrance is a small hole by the ground.

poodletalk
December 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Is Point St.Charles part of Verdun borrough?

kayla
December 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'm about 4 blocks west of the Verdun/Sud-Ouest borough boundaries, on the Sud-Ouest borough side. My dog park is in Verdun though, which is kinda a pain because the mayor is a dog hater and won't put lights in the park for the night, even though there are lights about 30 ft away on the path by the river so it wouldn't be hard to extend the wiring! He didn't even want to put a park there in the first place, even though there are tonnes of dog owners around here. We need more pet friendly politicians.

Lucky Rescue
December 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
There are an estimated 1 million homeless cats in Montreal. The reasons are many, but one is that the SPCA adopts out adult cats intact, to go on to have more litters. The general mentality towards animals here doesn't help either.

Verdun and surrounding areas are a nightmare - Cat Hell - and there is no solution in sight, since people do not bother spay/neutering.

Golden Girls
December 14th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Is Point St.Charles part of Verdun borrough?Mtl SPCA's Point St. Charles pound + Patrole Canine G.L. is Verduns pound.