Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

INNOVA dog food

K9Friend
December 14th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Can't seem to find it here anywhere in the Montreal area? Does anyone know if it's available here in Quebec? Thanks:D

technodoll
December 14th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Reveil du Maitre on St-Laurent (near St-Viateur) has it. Pretty pricey though, but man is that stuff ever concentrated. I personally wouldn't feed it... no animal eats a diet of 42% protein, sounds unhealthy to me... just IMO.

and their claim "Innova EVO has been specially designed to provide all the key nutritional benefits received from the feeding of raw food diets but with the benefits of 21st Century nutritional research.

Innova EVO formula is based on ground chicken & turkey meat, bones, fat, cartilage and connective tissue. It includes whole, raw fruits and vegetables which contain health promoting phytochemicals and micronutrients."

is complete BS. there is nothing "raw" in a cooked & processed kibble, and there are NO similar nutritional benefits between this kibble and a raw diet. Sure there are no grains but kibble is kibble (cooked, concentrated and processed pellets) and raw is raw (whole juicy, fresh meat, bones etc in their natural crunchy state). BTW the average protein in raw meat is 16%. not 42%....

K9Friend
December 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Interesting! I also thought it had a high protein concentration and had concerns about it. Actually, I prefer not feeding my dog any poultry product (think it may make my dog itch more than usual) and would rather feed her lamb & rice.

Roxy's_MA
December 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I started feeding Innova about a month ago. I have not had any problem, and have notice a posotive change in Roxy's coat. I also believe that a dog with a metabolism like mine can handle the protien....not sure if it is for every dog. I know there are a few people on this site that have had problems with Innova.

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Interesting! I also thought it had a high protein concentration and had concerns about it. Actually, I prefer not feeding my dog any poultry product (think it may make my dog itch more than usual) and would rather feed her lamb & rice.
Yeah, there is some controversy about it after some members here learned of doggies who had permanent damage from Evo... Love it or hate it. Personally, from what I know, I don't think there is a meat out there that is 42% protein by mass (usually the meat you eat is less than 30%), so to me it's unnatural to feed that high a percentage. JMO.

But if you want to find it, try the store Technodoll suggested, or try Club K9 (6004 Sherbrooke West- west of Decarie) or Woofers on Sources, north of the 40. I know Woofers has it, but I'm not sure if Club K9 does or not. There is another Reveil du Maitre on St Jean too, and apparently one in Laval but I spent forever trying to find it and couldn't.

K9Friend
December 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
What kind of permanent damage? :eek:

Thanks Guys. I may just stay with her current brand of food. It seems to agree with her. :thumbs up

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
A few months ago there was a discussion about it- go here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19043&highlight=Evo

Roxy's_MA
December 14th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Just want to clarify that I feed Innova, not Innova Evo.

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
The regular innova's are "normal". It's just the Evo that's a concern. Sorry if I mucked that up... :o

Roxy's_MA
December 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
The main reason I started feeding Innova is because my dog is super fussy. As per the advice of the people at the pet store, I took all the samples home, but them in different bowls. Whichever bowl she finished first was the one. She choose the Innova...not me.

Prin - I never did try the Wee Bit. None of the locations that sell it are very convienent to me.

NIKO
December 14th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Mine has been on regular Inniva for about 6 months. He is a 8 month Rotti. He loves it and is doing very well on it. Growing slowly and evenly and great coat, withno food alergies. I lost my last dog to IBD and when I researched it, I decided to feed Innova. It is also in the top 10 for the Whole Dog JournelsMag. JMO

K9Friend
December 14th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I just read that thread on EVO. :eek:
I have a few friends who swear by it. I dunno.
I figure if all is going well with my current dog food - why change?
I'm just wondering if there is something better out there?

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Well, if you're really happy with the ingredients, and your doggy is doing well, then by all means stick to it.