Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Officially Decided

raingirl
December 14th, 2005, 07:01 AM
(see my previous posts if you want the full story)

I officially decided yesterday that I'm looking for a new job. I'm going to give up my dream job because of one inflexible person.

Yesterday she did some minor editing to a report and wanted me to edit it better before giving it to her a second time. That's fine. So I spent 40 minutes editing it to be as perfect as possible for her. I looked at a list of items she wanted me to make sure are correct, etc etc. I did everything she asked, tried so hard, spent more time that I should have, and I thought it was perfect. All the rules were followed, etc. Well, she gives it back to me with more edits than normal, saying it wasn't good enough!

So...that was the last straw. If she can't accept my work after I follow her rules to edit it, and I spend a lot of time on something that it totally professional and acceptable, then I can't work with someone like that. I tried.

I just don't know what I am going to do now though. I love what I do, but this is really the only company in the province, so I can't really just move on to another one that does the same thing. I also can't afford to move into somewhere in an entry level position (I need to make what I am now just to survive).

Sorry...ranting. I had my good cry last night after spending 12 hours at work yesterday. Now I need to get realistic and figure out what the heck I am going to do with my life.

Roxy's_MA
December 14th, 2005, 10:53 AM
I just wanted to say you have to do what you have to do. I can relate, I just quit my job of 2 1/2 years. I am starting a totally new career path (kinda scary). It took me a long time to decide to quit. Now that I found a new job, and I know I am leaving my current one.....I feel great about it.

Good luck with the job search!:fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 14th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Raingirl I was in your shoes 4 years ago. I had the same career for more than five years.A group of people that I was working with were into work place bullying, talking behind your back, with holding info, one women actually called me on my day off and went balastic on me for something I apparently did wrong. A position came up that I was qualified for. This one women sweet talked me and said apply, apply you;ll get it for sure. There was also another women applying at the same time. The interview was rigged and they gave the other women all the answers. I was so upset a filed a greivance, and quit shortly afterwards. (I found out later from one of the other workers after I quit). When I ever I see this women I still just seeth with anger at her, what a back stabber.

It sucks how people can ruin everything for you. You'll get a better job. :evil: :D

CyberKitten
December 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
RG, is there absolutely no one else you can talk to above her? Or does she at least explain what she wants and what you are not doing in her opinion? She sounds like someone who is insecure and using that to take out her feelings in a negative and pejorative manner on someone she can belittle and be mean to. It's not fun and in fact makes for a toxic workforce - I wish I recall what you did, graphic design of soime kind, sorry for my lack of recall - it was a late night and I was horribly upset about something someone said to me, not even someone I know well either - it was just an unfair criticism and I took it badly and the person said it was "not open for debate". A govt bureaucrat who wanted to deny one of my young patients payment for a medication. I could not sleep and this am phoned the Minister of Health from the province in question (since I know him well and figured he would be compassionate and often a Minister can issue a directive about coverage of an expensive medication and so many antineoplastics can be soooo expensive ) and he very quickly interceded on the child's and family's behalf. What made me so furious was the fact that both parents work fulltime (one had recently lost a good paying industrial job to now working in a call center - great if you like it but it provides no benefits -no useful ones for him at this time anyway!)

So - is there anyone you can contact to overrule this person? Someone who can advocate for you at your workplace? You wok in computer programming, graphics, something like that? I looked - and I am so sorry but I do not recall exactly - and I looked!!!!!!

If you have a degree in comp science, the good news is the IT industry is on the rebound. We are hiring several computer science grads soon since we have the contract for the Maritimes to set up a medication database and network for hospitals/ clinics and since we want to integrate it with the telehealth system and intranets, a committee and system I chair, I am involved in recruiting those people. I need people with degrees in computer science who may have acquired experience somewhere with telehealth or at least distance ed and instructional design and certainly have certification and / or excellent courses in OOP and SQL. (Note - I do not consider MS Access database design though it works well for people in small business who do not want to be programmers or for those who might want to start learning SQL by trying VBA which uses MSAccess) I do not want to say that in an ad tho I recall seeing an ad in a Fla newspaper seeking a database designer and they added (and we do not mean Access!!). I thought that was a but harsh to many women especially who work with MS Office and have some skills in that area. Experience with Cold Fusion or Dreamweaver would also help - anything with HTML including cfm coding. We need to scrap the many and varied systems across the Maritimes which do not get along (as in they are all different, sighhhh - why any company, hospital, org ever does this is always a mystery to me). So, if you want to bring your comp sci degree to the Maritimes and have those skills, send in your resume. We may not be putting all that info in the ad - tho we will likely hire a recruitment company for some of the people and we already have some great guys now so it is still up in the air, to be decided after the holidays.

However, there are pron some great jobs in Toronto. I sit on a Board with the Chair of CGI and I know they are hiring as well. They also seek great comp sci grads. Good luck - it is a tough decision and you should not have to give up your dream job, that is just not fair!!

twinmommy
December 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
WEll, I'll give MHO, and please know that its' well meant, not to show lack of compassion.:)

If it really really is your "dream job", then I think you should hang on a little bit....there will ALWAYS ALWAYS be another jerk around the corner at the next job, and the next one, and the next one.

Maybe there is more wrong with this job than you've explained and you are more happy with changing, but if it is based on one person--give it some thought.

Do not empower this individual to ousting you out of your dreams.

Sometimes there are many more solutions than we thought, could you not go higher up without making things more miserable for yourself?

Just some thoughts......hope it works out whatever way is best for YOU:)

Roxy's_MA
December 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
sometimes our "dream job" doesn't turn out to be a dream job at all. Being happy is the most important thing about a job for me.

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I'm in agreement with TwinMommy, there's always going to be one jerk in a workplace to ruin ANY job you're at, it's all a matter of varying degrees. I've made a checklist with anyone who wants reporting from me, essentially an "order form" of questions that need to be answered before I do a report for ANYONE regardless of title (and I've done some for pretty high up peeps). If you want to make a go of this (since you said it's your dream job), then start getting people to play by your rules, even if it does mean ingratiating yourself and asking a lot of questions up front. At least then you'll know all of the little incidentals that are expected of you :) Good luck, you're a smart person and I'm positive you'll figure out how to make this work or have the courage to start over someplace else :)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM
DId you see the Weatherman yet?? :D I keep pushing that movie because it's about this exact thing. Sometimes dreams are only exciting till we get there and realize it's not so great afterall.

While I agree with twinmommy in some ways, in other ways your dream job shouldn't be this hard. You shouldn't dread having to get up in the morning to get to your dream job. I think it's time to stop calling it the "dream" job and start calling it "the dreadfully boring job with horrible people that I got out of". :D

shannonRN
December 14th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I think everyone has made some good points here. My advice would be to avoid burning any bridges, and don't make any rash decisions.

papillonmama
December 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I know how you feel Raingirl, I worked in an office where the dynamics were extremely stressful. The job in itself was stressful, but then to have co-workers, saying snide things, or hinting that they feel you are not qualified enough, or that the job isn't being done right, all of those things can make you crazy!
Having said that, I don't know if it's worth it for you to give up on your dream job, just because a snooty co-worker is making it hard. If you really want to drive her nuts, you can always be reeeeeally polite, (mean people hate that);) .
People around here are right, there will always be someone who wants to bring you down, especially when you are good at what you do. Fame comes with lots of criticism!
It's just my opinion, but I seriously think you should try to work it out, maybe she doesn't realize what she's asking is completely unrealistic.
Just say... Hey, I'm good at my job, I'm trying to please you, but there's no possibility of that if you don't inform me to your true expectations. The former editor was pleased with my efficiency and with my wording, I need to know what I can do to make you happy. I've tried to the best of my ability to edit as you've described, but to no avail. I'm exasperated and need your real input.
It'd take a lot of guts, but if this really is your dream job, then you need to take control of this situation.
From my experience, most office jobs have said problems. I've always been a drop the gloves kind of person, not afraid to take on the man (or the woman, if needs be), I just hope that you don't get pushed out of this job and look back and regret it.
On the other hand, I was taught in some high school training program that people often have several career changes in their lives, and maybe this is a good thing, you never know, your dream job might be something else too. Another suggestion, it might be good to get a new job before you give your two weeks notice, it's always easier to move on when you know there's somewhere to move on to.

Lizzie
December 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I've got to say, I work as a writer and if I gave up because of editing differences, I'd have been out of my job a long time ago. For someone working in a non-writing field, the demands of editing may seem a bit harsh; but, the reality is that if something is going out on behalf of a company, the company deserves to have it perfect.

In my case, every single word I write is subject to scrutiny and possibly media attention. I've been asked to re-write, re-word, re-do and even hand-over pieces of work. This is just a fact of the trade. While I appreciate that it's not the kindest of things, it is something that writers must get used to---or ship out.

With your job possessing a writing component, perhaps this is something you'll have to overcome. It's about growing thick skin and realizing that the decision to ask for edits is not personal.

If you want to keep your dream job, I suggest trying to overcome this issue. Just realize it's not you that is being asked to change, it's the words...and it's not that yours ar wrong, it's just that they don't reflect the companies style. I believe it took me a good 6-8 months to get the style figured out in my own job. Even now, I still have to make changes...it's just a part of the job!

raingirl
December 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I just wrote a whole long thing... but browser crashed.

Anyway, the short of it is, the edits are personal because they need me to improve my writing to the point that it won't need to be edited ASAP, which is stressing me out.

I think for me to stay there she will have to be a little more lenient and will have to realize that I was not an english major, I may have a different writing style than hers, and I will not learn by her teaching me what she thinks is better (with no explanation).

anyway...I don't know what to do. Anyone have tips on editing reports? It takes me forever because I always lose my place and mess things up. I'm working to complete the edits on a few reports from today which will probably take me another few hours!

Lizzie
December 14th, 2005, 10:19 PM
The easiest and most efficient way to edit is to print off your work and then review it line by line with a pen/pencil. This way, you can mark your corrections as you go--and re-review them when you are entering them into the actual document. This gives you about two edits before finishing up!

raingirl
December 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Sorry, I meant actually putting the edits into the document. That's the part I have problems with. Editing on paper is fine, which I do first, then she edits the next draft, and then I input her edits into the report and send it. I just find it hard putting her edits in.

twinmommy
December 14th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I may have a different writing style than hers, and I will not learn by her teaching me what she thinks is better

why not?

Is it because she's wrong or because she's arrogant and you would rather have a root canal than do what she says?
If the latter, wouldn't it be better to lose a battle or two to "win the war"??
If they are preparing you for an "editless" job, you eventually won't butt heads with her anymore--at least not over this.
I feel for you, it seems like you're in a tough field, one that I know nothing about....just trying to help with the "pr" :)

raingirl
December 14th, 2005, 10:48 PM
What I mean by not learning from her teaching me what is better, is that if she says "use X because it sounds better than Y", that's not a rule. That's in that one instance. I don't need to hear "because it sounds better" or "it's more proffesional". I need to know WHY is it better WHY is it more professional than what I wrote?

IE. If she tells me to use "task" instead of "job", so the next report I use the word "task". When she edits that report she tells me to use "project" instead of "task". When I ask her why, she says just use which one you think sounds better. What I have learned from this is that it doesn't matter which I use, because she will just choose which one SHE thinks is better when she edits it, regardless of what I use. I am not a mind reader. If I write the sentence "he was given a job" she changes it to "he was given a task". The next report I write "he was given a task" and she writes "he was given a project". It's like no matter what I use, she will change it...maybe out of spite, I don't know. There is no way for me to know which is better, or which she will like better, so all I can do is write what I think sounds good, and if she doesn't like it, there is nothing I can do.

twinmommy
December 14th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Your right. She sounds very spiteful, impossible to please. Is it her job to find something wrong no matter what? Meaning, are your chances slim of walking away from her with a perfect edit? Just curious, what kind of job does she tell people you are doing? Oh and could it be that she feels threateded by you? Are they grooming you to step over her one day?

questions!!questions! questions!!

Lizzie
December 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Perhaps the issue with job/task/project is more literal than you think.

Maybe she's just defining them and then applying them to your work?

Like this:

task=one isolated thing to do
job=something you're paid to do
project=a collection of tasks

Have you sat down with her to discuss this? I know that in my own job I've had to initiate a few one-on-ones to get a grip on why I can't use the word pleased but I can use the word pleasure or, for example, why it's not a perspective but it's a comment.

You're not alone. Many of us deal with this...it's just our job as the little ones to take their constuctive criticisms and move on.

CyberKitten
December 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Wow, she does sound impossible? Is this technical writing? I used to - and still help on occasion - write speeches for politicians and I would try to get myself into their head - how they speak, think, the phrases they use so it would sound like their work. Reports are different of course but there are somegood books- my fav, an oldie but goodie is Mastering Effective English - and there is excellent advice on writing reports. What do other people think of her? Is she like that with everyone????