Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Veggies for Christmas dinner?

Prin
December 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I'm not really looking for recipes (I'm not that far yet...). What veggies go with turkey? I'm making potatoes and carrots, but what else is there? (I'm not a veggie person...) Can you help me out? I don't want my peeps starving for veg...:o

happycats
December 13th, 2005, 06:07 PM
veggies I serve with christmas dinner are sweet potatoes, turnip, brussel sprouts, plus what you already have and don't forget the cranberry sauce!

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Turkey you have to have Cranberry Sauce. Peas and carrots natch. I don't do turnips best way to ruin the gravy is to add turnip water no no no don't do it. Squash? Sweet potatoes. Brown Potatoes are a must in our home (glazed small potatoes - Danish Dish).

papillonmama
December 13th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Mmmm, veggies, my mum always makes brocolli with cheese sauce. And I make string green beans with a garlic butter sauce, and of course mashed potatoes, when I do the tates I'll cook carrots with them and mash them all together, gives it a sweetness, I learnt that from a person who was lactos intolerant, they use the carrots in place of the milk, tastes great.

joeysmama
December 13th, 2005, 09:37 PM
My family would be happy if I only served carbs with the trukey. They want mashed potatoes and candied sweet potatoes and stuffing and cranberry sauce. But I feel as though there needs to be something green there so I make roasted asparagus. It's super easy. If my mom is here I make canned peas because that was always her traditional green veggie. Oh and my kids like creamed corn too. Really it's a carb fest. I make two kinds of sweet potatoes though; the candied ones and then roasted with pecans and a light date sugar topping. I don't bother with salad on Christmas because that's one day it won't get eaten. I used to make home made cranberry sauce and turnips too but I was the only one who ate either of those.

jawert1
December 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Wow what a menu! My mom does up regular mashed potatoes (with a dash of cream cheese - NUM), dried corn, lettuce and bacon dressing (my grandparents are PA Dutch) and I always steam my own broccoli since my brother ruined peas for me at age 6 :)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks everybody! There are a lot in there that I didn't think about... I don't think I'll venture into turnip (I think this group is still too young to like it...) but I'll definitely do string beans and peas. I'm used to frozen peas but most people I know prefer the canned kind for turkey...

So carrots, peas, beans, potatoes... Is that enough?

joeysmama
December 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I definitely think that's plenty ! It sounds great to me.:)

Sunkist/Winnie
December 14th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Gherkin Pickles..a must have. They might not be considered a veggie, but no turkey dinner is complete without gherkins!

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM
LOL I forgot about pickles...

I have turkey questions now... Should I start a new thread? I'm just wondering if you all room temp thaw or fridge thaw your turkeys... Fridge thawing takes years and they say never to room temp thaw... What do you do?

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Room temp thaw, then cook overnight on low - put turkey in oven on 300 at 9-10ish and by 6am the house smells AMAZING :)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM
what do you mean by "low"? And are you saying to cook it for like 20 hours?

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Sorry Prin, like 9pm to 6am the next morning and low meaning like 300F (though I'll call my mom tonight to confirm)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
But then you have to eat turkey at 6 AM, or do you cook it for the rest of the day?
And is it ok that I took my 9kg bird out this morning when I'm cooking it for Friday evening?

jessi76
December 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Fridge thawing takes years and they say never to room temp thaw... What do you do?

I thaw it in my kitchen sink.. full of COLD water. then refridgerate over night for cooking the next morning.

I've never heard of starting a turkey (cooking in the oven) the night before. ever.

shannonRN
December 14th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I'm having some images of the tukey splitting open with a hiss and a puff of smoke..."it's just a little dry....I'm sure it will be fine."

I've only done a few birds and it's been a long time. I fridge thaw though--get it out of the freezer days ahead--and if I need a little last minute thawing, submerge it in cool water. Roast @ 300 degrees F for ....how long depends on the size of the bird.

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I'm having some images of the tukey splitting open with a hiss and a puff of smoke..."it's just a little dry....I'm sure it will be fine."
LOL LOL :D I dread that happening to me...

But if I fridge thaw now till Friday, will it be enough time? This bird is pretty big...

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM
hahah no you don't have to eat it at 6am Prin though I'll tell you, more than once I woke up to that smell and thought about it. And my mom usually then leaves it in until around 11am or so. She also rubs it down with a mixture of olive oil and various spice like thingies (I can't cook) so that it doesn't dry out. Because it's slow cooked while covered like that, it ends up coming right off the bone so we hardly have to carve or pick anything :) If she hadn't done this for years I wouldn't suggest it - not like the turkey frying fad that happened and peeps ended up burning down garages and whatnot :P

joeysmama
December 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM
We have a turkey farm down the road so we're lucky in that we always have a fresh one and don't have to thaw it. But this thread just reminded me that I need to order my Christmas bird.

But the times that I HAVE had a frozen bird I was too afraid of bacteria to thaw it at room temp. But sheesh--you should live long enough for the fridge to do the job !!

cpietra16
December 14th, 2005, 08:36 PM
If you don't want it cooking all day or night, use a turkey bag available at any grocery store. Keeps the turkey very moist and cooks in half the time or less. Just put all your veggies and things in the bag with the turkey and voila a moist turkay with all the trimmings and no pan to scrape. :)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I have one of those black pans that cooks it in half the time, but I don't know if this bird will fit in it... It's huge!

My step sister actually cooked a turkey in the ground one year. They dug a hole and lit a fire and when they had enough coals in there, they threw the turkey in and covered it with dirt (of course the turkey was well packaged). It took a little longer to cook than they had planned (we ate at 10 PM when they put the turkey in at 6AM...), but it was interesting...

jawert1
December 14th, 2005, 11:11 PM
either way it will amount to tasty goodness :) should a pic thread be started closer for our holiday table layouts?? (i'm SO off my diet this year!):evil:

Bushfire2000
December 15th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I always fridge thaw. Saftey first?

I did try to cheat one year and bought a pre stuffed, cook from frozen, turkey.
I hear they taste as good as the real thing.
Didn't get a chance to cook it though.
I handed the bag with the turkey in it to my son and said
"Take this downstairs please."
Three days later I went to get it out of the freezer and couldn't find it.
Asked son
"Where's the Turkey?"
Son pointed to the grocery bag sitting on the floor
"You mean that ,mom?"

We had ham. It's good too.

jiorji
December 15th, 2005, 09:26 AM
veggies?!?!?

now you're just talking crazy!

I say you go with fries though.:D fries were once veggies too you know

Dog Dancer
December 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Okay, I thaw my bird in the sink with cold water. I change the water a few times. By the way Prin - your bird is a baby... My Thanksgiving turkey for 4 people was over 10kg - we're still eating left overs (froze the broth to make soup). I always make turnips and carrots and mash them together with butter salt & pepper (some people put in brown sugar). Also brussel sprouts. Yumm. This year we're doing ham on Christmas Eve as we all have to go to other turkey dinners on Christmas day. I'll do garlic mashed potatoes (sour cream, bit of butter and garlic), brussel sprouts and probably the carrots and turnips for colour (and they're my favourites). And salad as BF is Italian.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you all!

Prin
December 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM
My fatty potatoes will have cream cheese and sour cream in them... mmm. My auntie's recipe. mmm...

I hope people don't chicken out (lol) of coming because of the weather tomorrow... Heavy snow warning, schmarning.:D

jjgeonerd
December 15th, 2005, 05:33 PM
What are these "veggies" you keep talking about? :p

I actually prefer cooking a salt crusted prime rib to a turkey, but it costs a LOT more. Best way to make sure a turkey stays moist IMO is to soak it in a brine solution for 24 hours prior to cooking. Foodtv.com has several recipes...I like Alton Brown's (from the show Good Eats). Basting the turkey is also pretty worthless. mmmm. :thumbs up

jiorji
December 15th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Best way to make sure a turkey stays moist IMO is to soak it in a brine solution for 24 hours prior to cooking.

ewww dry turkey. This brings back painful memories. Overly stuffed dry turkey, with oddly colored veggies. I think in the past 10 years my mom has only managed to avoid that only once.

I hope there's cabbage rolls this year. That's what we usually have with other traditional Eastern Europe things. I really hope there's no turkey this year.

jjgeonerd
December 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
ewww dry turkey. This brings back painful memories. Overly stuffed dry turkey, with oddly colored veggies. I think in the past 10 years my mom has only managed to avoid that only once.

I hope there's cabbage rolls this year. That's what we usually have with other traditional Eastern Europe things. I really hope there's no turkey this year.

huh? :confused: Soaking a turkey in a brine solution has nothing to do with stuffing. The brine solution is a mixture of water, salt, herbs, spices, and usually fruit. The salty water causes the cells in the meat to absorb water so when you cook the bird it doesn't dry out as easily (I believe that is the principle). It also absorbs some of the flavors of the spices, herbs, and fruit. All of the brine solution is then discarded before cooking. Also works well with chicken, pork, beef for making jerky, etc.

I actually HATE stuffing in turkeys. :yuck:

Boubou
December 15th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Ah, common' guys, save a turkey and eat more veggies!!!! So many yummy alternatives these days. Unfortunately, I do have to cook a traditional meal for my family and especially my mom (she loves turkey and canned peas), but a favorite of mine is a casserole of mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas, etc.) in a white sauce (bechemal) topped with a blend of cheddar and mozarella cheeses and baked in the oven - yuuummy!

Prin
December 16th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Well apparently my bird is going to take 6 hours to cook... It's too big for my black pan (it touches the sides all the way around) so my bf's gramma said I have to cook it at a lower temp so the sides don't burn... And the lid doesn't fit so it'll be open... :( Now I know, I need a bird under 8kg to fit in my pan...:( It just sucks because I have to go get my sister at noon over an hour away, and I'm expecting the people to show around 6ish, so do the math and my birdy won't be done on time. :(

Bushfire2000
December 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Ah, common' guys, save a turkey and eat more veggies!!!! So many yummy alternatives these days. Unfortunately, I do have to cook a traditional meal for my family and especially my mom (she loves turkey and canned peas), but a favorite of mine is a casserole of mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas, etc.) in a white sauce (bechemal) topped with a blend of cheddar and mozarella cheeses and baked in the oven - yuuummy!
wow! Boubou that sounds delicous - share the recipe? It is christmas after all

Prin
December 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Or she could invite us all for dinner... It is Christmas after all!:D

Bushfire2000
December 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Prin serve lots of pre-meal goodies, play charades, give everyone a job to do and no one will notice that the suppers a little late. And if all else fails how do you feel about eggnog!

Prin
December 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
LOL I'm the only one I know who likes the nog... :( But I could spike the punch...:D Nah, My sister's not coming on account of all the snow, so my bird was put in at 12:30 on schedule... It's sizzly already but my arms are too tired from shoveling to take it out of the oven to check on it...:o