Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty mischief!

Okami
December 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Kai my 4 month old kitten has become a trouble maker. He's digging in plant pots, and snatching food off the table while nobodies around.
We've tried using a noise maker to scare him off when he tries to jump on top of a counter. But he just ends up going on counters when no ones there.

Anyone know how to fix this?

monman
December 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM
From experience, my two cats don't like the smell of citrus or mint at all. I've used citrus scented candles and harmless peppermint scented sprays. Place these scents anywhere you don't want him/her to go. There are also deterrents that sense motion and spray out water + make a noise when the cat goes near. This might help for when you're away.

Good luck!

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I've heard of leaving a fountain of water(circulating battery run) for cats to play with might not solve your problem. But it might give her something to play with that would keep her attention else where.

mona_b
December 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM
What you can do for the potted plants is mix half water and half vinager in a spray bottle.Spray your plants with this mixture.

I did this with my Calico when she was a kitten.She loved to dig in my plants.She hated the smell.And after a few weeks,she wanted nothing to do with the plants.

As for stealing the food,the only thing I can suggest is to make sure there is no food left on the table when you are not around.

As for the citrus,my cats love the smell.........:rolleyes:

There are different interactive toys you can pick up for him to keep him busy.

For my cats,I have a cat tree gym,a kitty kong,I can't remember what they call it,but it's round and has a ball in the middle.And what they do is plat around with the ball...OK,I know that what I said didn't make sense...LOL..They also have a ball that lights up when it rolls.

And if none of this keeps them occupied,well then they have each other...LOL

Okami
December 13th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I think I have like 20 different toys haha. From paper balls, a little card board box hideout, to teasers, and a spider on a spring. What he really likes to do is climb, but we really have nothing to climb on except for tables and chairs. I really want to buy him a cat tree house but the ones I see in petland are so expensive, and the ones in petcetra are too bulky to fit into one of my rooms.
I will try the vinegar mix and the scented candles. Does anyone know where I can get affordable cat tree houses?

StinkyT
December 14th, 2005, 08:23 AM
If you can get your hands on some scrap material and you've got an afternoon to kill you can make a scratching post/tree yourself. Just make sure the base is wide enough and sturdy so that it doesn't tip over during play.

My brother in law built a huge 5 foot thing for his two cats and they love it. It's just a matter of nailing pieces of lumber together and for the carpet, he went to a carpet/rug store. They throw out tons of scrap carpetting so you just have to dig in the dumpster or ask the employees for several pieces.