Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clingy Poodle!

DrmnOfMaui
December 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
We have just adopted an 18 month old miniture poodle! She is adorable. Her name is Cuddles, and she absolutely lives up to her name. But...she has become very clingy to me. I'm a SAHM, so I'm home a lot and the first few days we held her quite a bit. Now she follows me around right at my heals everywhere I go. My kids are frustrated and want to play with her, but she just want's to follow me. I've been trying to ignore her and it has gotten slightly better (admitedly we are only on day 3!). I've got it so she doesn't have to be in my lap whenever I sit down, but she will lie at my feet.

What can I do to get her to stop following me??? I would love to get her to interact with my kids more (they are 6 and 9 and pretty gentle with her). Any thoughts? She's a pretty smart little thing. We worked on walking today and sitting when we stop walking and she was picking it up by the end of the walk! I know I'm expecting a lot of the little thing, she's had a rough week (3 foster families, spay and now us!). I just don't want her following me to be permanent!

Thanks!
Kim

chico2
December 13th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I am certainly no expert on dogs,but we have many here who know a lot. However,logic tells me,after beeing shuffled around a lot to different homes,you are now her securityblanket.
I am sure,as time goes by and she feels more secure,she'll come around and be the little dog you want her to be.
Make sure the kids are very gentle with her and I am certain she'll let go of her"security-blanket",just give her time:pawprint:

Lucky Rescue
December 13th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Chico is right. 3 days is nothing. This is a dog who has been abandoned and lost her home and everyone she knew at least once, so is rightfully worried about being left again.

The best thing to do for new dogs like her is to get into unto a strict schedule for now - feeding, playing, walks etc at the same time every day. This way she'll learn what to expect and not be so anxious about what is coming her way!:)

lm9012
December 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
We've had our Albert for almost two months now...and he can still follow us everywhere at times. I too, was very concerned at first. He wouldn't let us out of his sight! We'd gotten him from the pound, and he'd been neutered 2 days before we brought him home. Poor little guy didn't know what to think! Slowly, he has become more trusting. So much that in the morning we'll find him in the living room instead of smooshed between us on the bed! He'll still run to my side when I'm in the kitchen cooking, in hopes of nabbing a treat.. but he will do his own thing in the house on occassion.
So don't worry, show her tons of love, she is already falling in love with you guys, show her that she isn't going anywhere. She will start getting comfortable...(toooo comfortable! hahah) You just see! :D

jawert1
December 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I had the same thing with my shepherd mix and the exact opposite with my pointer. Peaches wanted to be on me at all times (I'm not kidding - she was a 60lb lap dog) and Simon wanted NOTHING to do with us at all for the first month. When she realizes that a) she's not going anywhere unless it's with you and b) you're not going to hurt her or abandon her or starve her, she will start to play on her own. BTW, tons of toys do help, the first night I heard Simon squeak on something we got him, I cried for sheer joy and then Peaches tackled him :D

papillonmama
December 13th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Hello DrmnOfMaui,
I don't know much about poodles, but I do have a papillon who is clingy. She wasn't a rescue dog, I got her from my mum, long story, she's never been abused by adults or children, but she doesn't always like to be bothered by the kids. Oh well:o , just like people, not everyone likes kids. However, I have been working with her, because the kids most certainly like her. What I do, and what you can try when she is more settled, I pick a time when the dog is active, and we play fetch, I get the dog hyped up with a special toy, then I give the toy to one of the kids to throw for the dog, dog goes to get it gives it back to me and the cycle goes on until the dog is too tired to play anymore. It's nice because I get to play with the dog and the kids all at the same time, we all benefit!
I know for certain that papillon's have a certain behavioral trait where a lot of them will pick one person in the family, and basically look to them for guidance.
My dog is a bit better about letting me out of her sight, sort of, she doesn't feel like she has to be under my feet anymore, but she at least has to be able to look through the door.:D
Secretly, I like having a shadow.

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I agree a schedule is very important.
Make sure the kids have something to do with her routine care, treats form the kids after they get home from school are a good idea.
Sit on the floor and play ball with her and the kids. My dogs love this, roll the ball back and forth between kids and sooner or later the the dog(s) will join in they can't help themselves. The sitting on the floor brings everyone together in a non threatening way, no one looms over the puppy.

Daizy
December 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Have you thought of yourself playing with the dog & children and then gradually leaving the area (un-noticed if possible). Your dog will hopefully be having so much fun with them that he won't want to bother with you. It will probably take time considering his history but once he's secure in the knowledge of your love and his safety of not getting shunted off somewhere else, he's bound to ease up abit and be comfortable with other members of the household.

Rottielover
December 14th, 2005, 01:41 PM
LOL, I still have a 100lb shadow as I call him, Harley follows me everywhere. even to the bathroom, and i have had him since 9 1/2 weeks. It is not a lack of security neccisarily. They just love company. Harley is a mommas boy, does everything with me

MollysMommy
December 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I have a toy poodle, and she follows me everywhere--well me, and my boyfriend. It's gotten better over time, but she still wants to know where we are and what we're doing. I read in a book about poodles that they are naturally clingy animals, who get particularly attached to one or two people, and they have a tendency to follow those people around. After I read that, I just figured Molly's (my toy poodle) behavior was just natural. I would imagine that the more time your kids spend with Cuddles, the more she will be likely to leave you to follow them around. :)

DrmnOfMaui
December 14th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone! Cuddles is still wanting to cuddle, but she's doing a bit better. She's gotten a bit more curious about the surroundings, even leaving me a bit to go and sniff all around the back yard (almost a whole 3 minutes on her own!!!). I've been letting the kids help her more (feeding, potty, etc.) and she has gone without me - a struggle at first, but then she does go. I've also gotten her to lie at my feet while I'm on the computer rather than being in my arms (hard to type!). Do you guys let the dogs sleep with you? We have always had Golden Retrievers and while they tried to fit in the bed it just didn't work with their size. So far we have been crating her as I'm not sure she will go the night without "going" on the floor. We let her out first thing in the morning. She cries a bit when we put her in, but it's no longer than 3 or 4 minutes.

Thanks again, I feel so lucky to have stumbles onto this site, you all seem a wealth of info!

Kim

Bushfire2000
December 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hi there, sleep in the bed I'd love it but husband couldn't stand it.
I'd be afraid he'd roll over and the dogs would fall off bed (our bed's pretty high for my little ones).
Buster sleeps with my youngest son now, Buster lost an eye this summer and to keep the others from bothering him I seperated him from the rest and now he thinks he can do what ever he wants.
Last night I found Lacey, Buster and Cocoa on Hudson's bed.
Give them an inch and they take a bed?
Normally Cocoa is in her kennal at night because she's pron to potty anywhere unless directed. And Lacey and Buster use to share a kennel/bed at night before Busters eye problem.

Daizy
December 15th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Yes, I let me toy poodle sleep with me. She's so funny, if its cold (because I have the window open even in the winter) she gets herself under the covers & sometimes she just wants to stay there of a morning all dopey and cosy. Such a cutie pie.

Daizy
December 15th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Yes, I let me toy poodle sleep with me. She's so funny, if its cold (because I have the window open even in the winter) she gets herself under the covers & sometimes she just wants to stay there of a morning all dopey and cosy. Such a cutie pie.

MollysMommy
December 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Molly sleeps with me in my bed also. I sometimes squish her during the night. She just gets up and moves to another spot. :) She likes the warmth.