Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop eating deterrent ?

Inverness
December 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Anyone can remind me what it is we can add to the dogs' food so their poop will taste bad and they won't be tempted to eat it ? I'm not looking for the commercial deterrent, but rather the natural ingredient. Is it something like pineapple ? Poopsicle season has started... :yuck:

Bushfire2000
December 13th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I didn't know you could put something in their food that would do that. I usually have to scoop quickly, not there not lunch-snack-toy.

jessi76
December 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM
my parent's dog, who is 7 years old, was a poop eater. They tried everything - even putting tabasco and chili powder ON the poop... no luck. What finally did the trick was not feeding her ANY more people food. ONLY her dog food. The behavior stopped almost immediately.

heather331
December 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM
sprinkle meat tenderizer on their food. this is what i was told to do. we dont really do it consistently so i dont know how well it really works but we have had some success with it.

tenderfoot
December 13th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Pineapple or MSG can work to make the poop taste nasty. Behavioral correction is also a good idea. Teach the 'leave it' command and use it on lots of things around the house to practice first before you really need it outside. It is also a good overall drill thats healthy for your relationship. You are telling him that all things belong to you - unfortunately this time it means the poop belongs to you and its not his to steal. :o

Inverness
December 13th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Lucky me for owning so much poop ! ;)

Thanks ! Actually, I need to add something to the food because we share our life with many dogs who have access to an 8000 square feet dog run and we cannot, physically, pick up everything each time. Dogs go in and out basically the whole day through so we do not control when they relieve themselves... :o

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 12:50 AM
There are also specific products to put in the food (I think it's called Deter ?). Usually if you are feeding a food loaded with fillers, the doggy will try it again to get more out of it, but it can happen no matter what you are feeding.

Inverness
December 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
We feed Holistic Blend, so no fillers in there. I guess it's more of a bad habit - when one dog starts to do it, the others follow. We also have one dog who has always had digestive problems and whose feces might contain more undigested elements than we would want. I would want to try and add something to everyone's food and see if it changes anything. I cannot afford Deter or any other commercial stuff, this is really expensive, so I'll try a few natural ingredients first.

Thanks for the input. :thumbs up

Rottielover
December 14th, 2005, 03:39 PM
do not give him a chance to eat it, pick it up right after simple !!

Inverness
December 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Not simple. As I mentionned earlier, we have many dogs and they have access to 8000 square feet. My dogs go out as they please during the day while I work from home. Picking up right after would mean spending the whole day outside waiting for the poop... not that I would not want to spend my whole days outside with my babies, but I do have to work from time to time if I want to keep on feeding them... ;)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:49 PM
You could also try carbon cookies (they sell them wherever they sell bones and stuff). people say it changes the smell, and it might help.:)

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
The Holistic bledz is not very meaty eh? That could be why. The doggy might not be getting enough protein from the food. I would add a bit of meat to it... JMO.

Inverness
December 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Guaranteed Analysis

CRUDE PROTEIN 25% MINIMUM
CRUDE FAT 15% MINIMUM
MOISTURE 10% MAXIMUM
CRUDE FIBRE 5% MAXIMUM
CRUDE ASH 8% MAXIMUM
OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS 4.5% MINIMUM
OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS 0.61% MINIMUM

You think it's not enough protein ? :confused:

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Oh, I thought it was the solid gold one-
Protein, Min 18%
Fat, Min 6%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 336

Nevermind. Too bad though, I thought your problems were solved... :o

Inverness
December 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM
:) No, it's the Canadian company www.holisticblend.com .

Managing a "pack" of dogs is never easy... one problem often becomes a little nightmare... especially when the dogs come in and... burp ! :yuck: :D

Prin
December 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM
It looks like good food, but keep in mind that the lamb (in the lamb and rice one) moves way down the list when it's dehydrated during cooking (the salmon too), so most of the protein is still coming from the millet and brown rice. In the chicken one, brown rice is the main source- it's ground too, so it's even more dense... Maybe even with the 25%, the doggy isn't getting enough really absorbable (if that's a word) protein (i.e. from meat sources).

tenderfoot
December 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Think about how much protein he would be getting in nature. One rabbit has a lot of meat (protein), organs (protein), small stomach contents (vegetable matter= carbs) and a fair amount if digestible bones (calcium). If he were eating a deer it would be even more pure protein. So 18-25% of questionable protein doesn't come close to what he would get in nature. when you are asking questions about behavior related to diet - I would go back to nature first and see how close you are coming to that.

Inverness
December 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I agree with you Tenderfoot. In fact, we have tried feeding our dogs a raw diet. Unfortunately, many of them have never been able to digest raw meat or even cooked and have had major bouts of diarrhea, no matter how slowly we introduced the new diet. We have tried this numerous times and have never succeeded. We do cook for them though, so on a regular basis, their meal is made out of meat, rice and vegetables/fruits - but their basic diet is dry. Many of our dogs are highly active and tend to lose weight quickly. We need to stick with a diet that does not make them sick, or else, it takes ages to stabilize them again.