Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 11 year old cat hates new puppy

kathiez
December 12th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I have two cats, one is 10 and the other is 11.
The 11 year old one hates our new puppy. The other one is scared of the pup and keeps to herself.
Snarley our 11 year old cat is curious about Dania (the puppy) but when he gets close enough to her he chases her and hisses.
The puppy runs to us for help.
I want peace in our household. We have had the puppy for almost 3 weeks.
We have her segregated in the kitchen but the cat jumps the baby fence to bother her sometimes.

I don't see it as a big problem but it would be nice if there was more love.
I have tried holding the cat and having the dog come over but the cat is not co-operating. it is truly miffed but not acting out in other ways. (urinating outside litter box, etc)
The two cats adore each other. :love:

What to do? do you think the cat will just accept the dog eventually? The problem is not the puppy, she seems to want to play with the cat. She is very interested. The cat is the one living up to his name and being Snarley.

-Kathie
:ca:

Prin
December 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I don't know, but I think some of your questions might have been answered here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22051 But I could be wrong...

Bushfire2000
December 12th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Does your puppy or cat have a kennel?

We have problems with one of our older dogs and new additions. If we put her in her kennel and let the new addition wander around, within half an hour Lacey settles down and accepts the presence of the newcomer. We also use this method when we take her to be baby sat, after that half hour of grumbling she's quite happy to be left and to play with the other dogs/cats.

If your cat has a kennel she might feel secure and unthreatened by the puppy or if the puppy was confined in its kennel (for a short time while introductions are made)the cat might feel confident enough to make friends.
Let them sniff each other from safety and then remove them from each others company so that there can't be a fight. Do this over several days and they might tolerate each other if not be friends.

I've also heard of people rubbing the favorite sleeping blanket of the cat on to the puppy and the puppys on the cat to transfer scents. Anyways good luck and if you persevere it should work it's self out.

Lucky Rescue
December 12th, 2005, 11:16 PM
The problem is not the puppy, she seems to want to play with the cat.

I"m sure she does, but the problem is that adult cats do not usually want to play with puppies. This is an alien, and possibly dangerous, creature to them. Noisy, erratic and smells really weird too! Add to this that cats have totally different body language and social behavior than dogs, and you can see why there is a problem.

Your cats can probably eventually get used to the dog, but only if you spend a lot of time training her to leave the cats alone. No chasing or lunging after them, ever.

Once the cats learn that you will not allow the puppy to go after them, they may settle down.

LM1313
December 13th, 2005, 09:50 AM
When I got Ebony as a puppy, we already had an "established" cat, Muffy. Muffy also was not thrilled with this strange, alien being who wanted to play. She hissed and then when Ebony persisted in wanting to play, hit her smartly on the nose. Still no abatement from the confused puppy, so Muffy then scratched her on the nose.

Is your cat going out of his way to hit and hiss at the puppy, or does this mostly occur when the puppy approaches the cat wanting to play? If the cat is actively attacking the puppy, you'll have to keep them seperate. But if the cat is just staving off the puppy's playfulness, let them be. Sooner or later the puppy will realize that the cat doesn't want to play. (Teaching the puppy to mind its manners around the cat will also help.)

In Ebony's case, she soon accepted Muffy as the dominant animal in the house and simply stayed out of reach of her. Even when Ebony was full grown to labrador size, Muffy was still the dominant one. In fact, Muffy would sometimes chase Ebony across the yard, which they both enjoyed. ;)

Some animals will never become close, cuddly friends like the ones you see on calendars. When we got Phantom as a kitten, Ebony loved her, but now that they're grown they coexist more than interact.

~LM~

jessi76
December 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I want peace in our household. We have had the puppy for almost 3 weeks.

It's going to take MUCH longer than a few weeks for peace. We have a puppy (now 9mths) and 2 cats. The older cat (not sure of age, probably 7-8+ yrs) HATES dogs and is even declawed in front, so she feels extremely threatened. She still hisses, growls, and attacks the dog (and we've the pup since he was 8wks old). He wants to be her buddy, but she won't have it. which is her choice, so we give her the space she needs, and provide "puppy-free" zones for her.

I have tried holding the cat and having the dog come over but the cat is not co-operating.

don't force them to interact. Just give it time, eventually she will realize the pup is here to stay, and they will learn to co-exist - either being friends, or just avoiding each other. Your cats are older (not "old" by any means) but if they haven't lived with dogs before, being 10 & 11 yrs old, it could take months or even years for them to be comfortable with each other.

Lucky Rescue
December 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I have tried holding the cat and having the dog come over but the cat is not co-operating

That is probably the very worst thing you could do. Not only is this extremely stressful for the cat, but you are risking having the puppy seriously clawed. The cat must decide when and if it wants to approach the dog.