Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chihuahua with scabs on his ears

Daiana
December 12th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Hello,

I have a 2 1/2 yr. old male and within the past several weeks he has developed a small button-sized scab near the pointed tip of each ear.
I took him to the vet and he said it may have been caused by the cold (kind of like a cold sore), although I know that the day in question it wasn't THAT cold out. In fact, it was one of those sunny, warm autumn days and I thought it would be nice to have him outside with me while I raked the backyard. He didn't think it looked like ringworm at all, but he gave me Panolog cream and told me to apply it for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. The scabs have almost healed now (about 90% anyway), but the only problem (although not really a problem as long as everything else is ok), is that his ears are now flopped over half way. He does pick them back up on occasion, but for the most part, the tips of his ears are flopped now.

Is this a common problem? What to do? The dog seems not to feel anything that irritates him - he's not scratching there and I was told that ringworm is very itchy, so it seems like the vet might be right.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bushfire2000
December 12th, 2005, 01:45 PM
My first thought was maybe from the cold. If his ears had been moist for some reason, rubbed in the grass, etc. Maybe the cold was more intense than you thought?

Daiana
December 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks for responding. I hope you're right and that's all it is. I've been sick with worry, especially after the incident with the reaction to the vaccine back in October (there is an earlier post with all the info).
My poor little baby. I can cry just thinking about how much he's gone through and it really breaks my heart. If his ears remain flopped over instead of perked up, then I don't care as long as he's healthy. I don't want a perfect dog, just a healthy and happy one.

Bushfire2000
December 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Hey, floppy ears are adorable. :D