Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stinky Doggie

Rebelrage
December 11th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I have a rott and unless I give him a bath every two days he will stink. :yuck: I am a single mother of three children and work full time so giving him a bath every other day isn't an option, but I do try to give him one every week to ten days. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him from stinking up the house in between baths? I guess because he is a large dog he sweats alot or something but I can't stand it when I pet him and my hands smell like dog! And really it is like he didn't have a bath at all within two days! Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I am going to give him his weekly bath now.

Lucky Rescue
December 11th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Dogs don't sweat and no dog should be bathed so often. You're going to strip all natural oils from his coat and do damage to his skin this way and all the bathing is doing no good anyway.

Are you sure it's just the usual "doggie odour" on him? If so, some dog breeds just smell more strongly than others and this is something we have to put up with.

You may be able to get some sort of pet wipes to use on him. You can check it out.

Boubou
December 11th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Are you sure the smell is coming from all over his body or could it be something else such as his ears (ear infections are really smelly) or the creases in his lips and around his mouth. Or maybe he has allergies - sometimes the skin around his belly, head and feet can have a doggy odor, but this should be seen by a vet. I own a Rottie and she does get smellier than my other dogs, especially around her face. I keep baby wipes on hand and that cleans her up quite well. She is also prone to ear infections. If it is indeed just doggy odor, I suggest you get a creme rinse called Fresh n' Clean (by Lambert Kay). It's a pink rinse that you use after a shampoo and it smells heavenly for weeks! Just don't rinse it all out (it's not a soap, so you don't have to rinse it completely). I abosoulutely LOOVE the smell of that and my dogs are like room deodorizers when I use it on them! :pawprint: :pawprint:

Rebelrage
December 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
No it's not an infection, it is definitely doggie odor and he smells up whatever room he is in. The vet did say that he had allergies, though she wasn't sure what they were she was guessing they were from all the harvesting that is being done recently around here. This creme rinse, where do I get it, it sounds great. I chose the one week to ten day bathing cause his flea shampoo recommended that to control fleas. I just read the bottle again and as a matter of fact it says every week to use it to control the fleas. How often should I bath him? I don't want to dry out his skin cause along with the allergies he has he also has dandruff, I was just doing what the bottle said.

jessi76
December 11th, 2005, 07:55 PM
I chose the one week to ten day bathing cause his flea shampoo recommended that to control fleas. I just read the bottle again and as a matter of fact it says every week to use it to control the fleas. How often should I bath him? I don't want to dry out his skin cause along with the allergies he has he also has dandruff, I was just doing what the bottle said.

does he HAVE fleas? If not, stop the flea shampoo. Use a flea/tick preventative instead, for example, I use Frontline. It's a topical application, best applied in-between the shoulder blades, once a month.

Rebelrage
December 11th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Yes I saw them on him the other night crawling around on his belly and when I was bathing him tonite I had one die on my hand (a large one at that). I would not use flea shampoo if he didn't have them, instead I would use a regular dog shampoo. Also didn't mention in my first post out here where I live we have sand (black sand) as soil (the whole county) and it is hard to grow grass so he gets pretty dirty, he'd get baby wipes muddy. I am going to get some wipes for his face though and I really like the idea of that creme rinse, would like to know where to get it and approximately how much it costs too. Is it for dogs or humans? Also I know it is doggie odor and not an infection because it doesn't matter where I touch him I always pull my hand away and it smells just like....well..."dog". That creme rinse sound like the best bet and may help his dandruff too. Thanks for ya'll's help!

mafiaprincess
December 11th, 2005, 08:19 PM
You'd be better off with actual flea control so the fleas become sterile, and die rather than killing them with weekly baths where they are still getting into your carpet and multiplying.

You may have a household flea infestation at this point, and no matter how often you bathe your dog, they are in your home.

Lucky Rescue
December 11th, 2005, 08:56 PM
You'd be better off with actual flea control so the fleas become sterile, and die rather than killing them with weekly baths where they are still getting into your carpet and multiplying.

Agree. Go to the vet and get some flea meds (Frontline, etc), then get a cheap flea collar, cut it up and put in your vacuum bag. The fleas will die in the bag, and since the meds keep them from reproducing, they should go.

Rebelrage
December 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM
ok we're getting off subject, thank you on the flea suggestions;) , but the fleas aren't the whole reason I am using the flea shampoo.:) The subject is my dog is stinky and the whole reason I am shampooing him once a week is because he not only stinks but he has fleas. So any suggestions on keeping him clean and smelling good with out drying out his skin. The only reason the flea shampoo was even mentioned is because lucky rescue said I was bathing him to much and I just was saying that the bottle said once a week was the recommended bathing schedule. Also a new question how often should I bath him? He isn't over run in fleas that is why I decided on flea shampoo. Fleas not a problem only has a few, with sand for soil also comes sand fleas.

Rebelrage
December 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Good idea with the flea collar in the vaccum bag, would have never thought of that. I won't use the collars on the animals my cat had a bad reaction to it once and lost all his hair where the collar was (He is fine now I took it off and his hair grew back). Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Anyone heard of this creme rinse though? I would like to know where to look for it and approx. how much I need to save up to get it, if it is expensive. I will look into frontline too thanks

jawert1
December 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM
But part of why he's so stinky could be from the flea shampoo, so therefore vicious cycle :) Also, him being stinky could have something to do with his food. I had to change from a good quality food for Simon to a crap prescription diet food (i HATE this stuff) and it's changed his coat, his skin oils (he's WAY stinky now), and his ears (he's a Pointer too). It's going to have to be a multi-pronged attack with clearing up his smell and the fleas, so a regular flea preventative (Frontline or other), change in diet (ask Prin - she's the resident food expert and there are TONS of threads on it) and resisting bathing him as a means of outer treatment will have to be looked into. Good luck and let us know how you make out :)

raingirl
December 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Like jawert said, the flea shampoo could actually be causing the stinkyness. Dogs actually get stinkyer when you overbath them.

Best thing to do would be to not bath him, get a flea med from the vet. However, I'm not sure if sand fleas are the same as regular fleas.

The usual causes of dog stinkyness are diet (food with aditives like corn can cause it), allergies (food or environmental) or just a naturally smelly dog.

If your dog gets dirty, try not "bathing" him, just rinse him off with water. Also, brushing him daily can reduce smell.

As for the rinse, should be available in any pet store for about $10 to $15. Basically, it's a leave in conditioner.

If you really want him to stop smelling, keep him out of smelly things like dirt, don't bath him too often (1 to 3 times a year max), get a flea med to get rid of the fleas (which can cause smelliness too), brush him oftern, feed him a high quality food...

Rebelrage
December 11th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I never knew over bathing could make him stinky and yes I am feeding one of those cheapy foods, but the more I read about the others ( those that this forum prefer) the more I am thinking of changing his diet and now that I have been told his stinkiness could be his food too I am really considering it. I have been checking things out on the net about flea preventive meds and I came up with this one that sounds better than frontline and advantage and cost waaaaay less. Maybe someone here has heard about it and/or tried it would like an unbiased opinion, money is tight and if it works than great but if not then I can't afford to waste the money. Anyway, it is called Biospot. It is supposed to kill flea eggs and larve for 4 months and kills fleas and ticks for 4 weeks, and also repels misquitoes(sp?) for 4 weeks too. Anyone ever use it, does it work? Thank you raingirl I think it is a combination of all of the above if all of those things make him stink then that would explain why he is sooooo stinky then:) I am going to ask for some suggestions on the food forum and I should run into Prin there thanks also to Jawert. And I will use that idea about the flea collar lucky deb thanks to everyone. I will let you know how it all works.:grouphug: You guys are great and so much help Rebel and I thank you all.

StaceyB
December 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I would bath no more than once a month and that is pushing it. By bathing so often you are removing oils from the coat which means that he may be making more of it to compensate which could cause a smell. If you need to wash off dirt then just rinse him instead of using shampoo when he is not due for the shampoo. Also, do you let him dry on his own or do you blow dry him. He may be leaving you with that wet dog smell if you are leaving him wet.
Another possibility is that he has a skin condition due to the allergies. This can cause a smell as well.
How often do you brush him. Brush him everyday to spead out his oils throughout his coat. Is his coat or skin oily?
If it is just a dog smell that you are sensitive to I would purchase a dog perfume. You can get it is all kinds of scents. Dogs do sweat through the pads of their feet and some can smell, make sure that it is not this. They don't sweat through their body.
As for the fleas you can over do it with the chemicals. If your dog does have fleas you have to treat the home at the same time that you treat the dog otherwise within 3 days the fleas are back and you never seem to get rid of them.

Rebelrage
December 16th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I let him just air dry off but after he gets a bath he smells soooo good so it isn't the wet dog smell. He does have allergies the vet told me this about a month ago, so maybe that is it. He coat is shiny but he seems to have dandruff (probably from shampooing him to often huh?:o ) I have been looking into flea meds to put him on does anyone have any suggestions on that, I have did some research on the internet, I don't have a lot of money and I was looking at "Biospot", but I have heard some BAD stuff about this one has anyone ever heard of it or used it? I would appreciate any input anyone has.

chico2
December 17th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Good quality food and Frontline or Advantage can be pricey,but I believe it would save you money in the long run.
Trying different cheaper alternatives and shampoos could end up costing you more,without solving your poor washed out Rotties problem.

LavenderRott
December 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I have never met a healthy rottweiler that smelled. If your dog is eating crappy food and has allergies then you need to address these issues. Frequent bathing is just masking the problem.

I have never heard anything good about Biospot. A little reseach did find me this, however...

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified permethrin as a carcinogen because it causes lung tumors in female mice and liver tumors in mice of both sexes. Permethrin inhibits the activity of the immune system in laboratory tests, and also binds to the receptors for a male sex hormone. It causes chromosome aberrations in human and hamster cells.

The number of rottie owners I know that have lost dogs to cancer (myself included) is staggering and I certainly wouldn't put a known carcinogen on my dogs' skin. The stuff from the vet may be a bit more costly, but safer for your dog in the long run.

As for food, if you have a Costco nearby, they carry an inexpensive dogfood that is very good for a very reasonable price. It has no corn and fewer fillers then the cheap stuff and uses human grade meats.

meb999
December 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I agree that the diet is probably to blame. This girl I go to school with told me she saw a 200% improvement in her lab's 'stink' after I told her to switch to a better food. If you eat crappy food everyday, you'll stink too :p
Good luck, and keep us posted!

jawert1
December 18th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Hey Lavender, what's the brand name? Everytime I go to Costco they have the usual gross food with byproduct, but if there's something good there I'd like to look into it.

Prin
December 18th, 2005, 12:43 AM
It's one of the Kirkland ones....
See this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18881&highlight=kirkland

animatch
December 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I also think food may be a big reason...I also do suggest you get a blood test for thyroid, many dogs that have thyroid problems are smelly. Just a suggestion.