Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Episode of diahhrea/Adult cat

Shamrock
December 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
As outlined above, I'm very aware that diarrhea can be a serious symptom that requires vet care.

My question is, how long should it be given for it to clear up in an adult cat who is showing no other signs of illness?

Miranda is six, the diarrhea has been for about 48 hours.
She is not going more often.. but her stools are a runny consistency...like pancake batter.
She is eating and drinking normally.
I called the vet's office, the receptionist said it was up to me if I wanted to bring her in.

I will definitely have her there tomorrow if this continues.. or should I not wait any longer? Is there anything I can give her to help her with this?

I've never encountered this problem with my cats before, other than the occassional single episode. They are on a good diet,and it has not changed.
Not only am I worried.. as she is a persian cat - the cleanup she requires is less than pleasant..:D

chico2
December 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Shamrock,my Vinnie had diarrhea for a couple of days,also really messy,since he has semilong hair.
I found the reason why,I had changed their treats.He only had loose stools when he ate these treats,so they went to my crows:D
You say you have not changed their diets,are you absolutely sure??
When to take them to the vet?? I am not sure,but probably 3-4 days if it does not stop.
Cats,like people will probably get upset stomaches ever now and then,but if it continues,I would take him to the vet.

Shamrock
December 11th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Chico.. I'll keep an eye on her today, just see.
I am a terrible worry-wart, and just am fussing over what could be causing this, as obviously something in her system is out of whack.
I cant think of anything that has changed to her diet...unless maybe I have been "overdoing" the cat treats. (Pounce).
I've been very fortunate over the last six years..my cats digestive systems seem totally as they should be.
If we go through this again today, I will absolutely have her at the vets' in the morning.

chico2
December 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Don't worry,I am paranoid too:D just today I heard Rocky meowing downstairs in the litter-box and I ran down to see what the problem was.
He's busy in the box,pooping and gave me a very insulted look like"what do you want,privacy please!!"
I have 3 males and am constantly checking that they pee ok,I had one poor male with UTI and in those days I was totally ignorant as to what it was,he subsequently had to be put down,because of it:sad:
Now we know so much more and are more aware and I am sometimes wondering if it is such a good thing,I am definetly a huge worry-wart:D

Shamrock
December 11th, 2005, 05:34 PM
LOL, Chico..I can just picture your Rocky, giving you the "do you MIND?" look, as only cats can do.:D .
They truly must wonder about all this "checking" on their bathroom visits.
I am so sorry you lost a cat to a UTI, Chico, how sad.
I came close to the same disaster with my himalayan Basil several years ago.
I was feeding him an all-dry diet...and had no idea the problems this could cause... and how quickly it could become a life-and-death matter.
So now...it's always in the back of my mind.

I read an article later that stated the most likely candidates for feline UTI's are neutered males, indoor, overweight, and fed an all dry diet. Persian cats are thought to me even more prone to this - possibly because they are often less active than most cats.

I agree we do fuss much more these days about these things than in days gone by.. but then "forewarned is forearmed" when it comes to pet health.
Or pretty well anything, I guess:)

chico2
December 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Thank's Shamrock...it happened about 30yrs ago,Tigger was a beautiful Maine Coon.He survived a stint under the hood of a car,after escaping to the outside,lost an eye,half an ear had tons of stitches and dies a year later from UTI:sad:
He did not eat dry food,but in those days the cat-food of the day was Pussn'Boots and others like it..

Shamrock
December 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Just a quick update to this.. I waited for nature to take its course yesterday, and found some improvement. Her stools were not as they should be.. but not runny.. so it seems to be sorting itself out.

One thing that did occur to me.
I "did" change the cats dry food - but about a month ago. As one was having problems with hairballs, I switched from Felidae to Eagle Pack Hairball formula. I thought this was a very good brand, and didnt check the ingredients. At home I found third ingredient is corn - not good. I decided just to use up the bag.. and not buy it again.

They all seemed ok with it so far, but it could be that the corn content is now affecting Miranda's digestion. I'm going to discontine feeding it.