Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on poor Harley :(

cpietra16
December 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I just want to give an update, and it is not good news :(. My poor baby went in for surgery on friday evening. It was alot worse than suspected. Not only did he tear his nail almost off, he also fratured his toe in multiple places. Not only that, when the shaved him, they also realized that part of the bone pertruded, and was infected. I got a call, and the judgement call was made to amputate his toe.
He is still at the vets, and he is in severe pain. Right now he is on heavy dose of codene. When he comes home today YEAH!!!! he will be put on rimadyl. Metacam did not do well with him, he was vomiting. I will give you more on a update when I hear more.:sick: :sick: :sad:

LM1313
December 11th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry! I hope he feels better soon. :sick:

~LM~

mummummum
December 11th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Poor baby ! Harley - it's gonna be tough going in this weather. If it's any small hope, Bridie had a couple of her toes smashed when she was a wee one. She runs a little bow-legged now but can still outrun the squirrels. And, Mumsy you have a lotta loving and cuddling to do - we're beaming good dawgie thoughts your way !

Lissa
December 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Aww, I am so sorry! I can't believe how bad it was! I hope he doesn't stay in pain for too long:( .

Keep us updated!!

chico2
December 12th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Pietra,I am so sorry to hear about poor Harley and his ordeal,at least he is ok to come home,where I am sure he'll feel much better,hugs and kisses,treats and cuddles have great healing-powers:love:

Lucky Rescue
December 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Oh poor Harley!! I missed what happened to him, but he'll be just fine with one less toe.

I know he'll be spoiled royally during his convalescence!:)

meb999
December 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Sending lotsa positive thoughts...
I guess I missed what happened to him -- which thread is it on?

cpietra16
December 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
It's under pet health...this thread actually belongs to Rottielover. She just happened to be at my house so its under my name cpietra....to follow the thread just go under pet health..."What to do...nail almost off" on 3rd page.

chico2
December 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
LOL,yes I did not think you had a Harley,but then I thought maybe you do too.
Still,I hope Harley-baby will be ok:fingerscr

cpietra16
December 12th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Just heard from Rottielover and Harley is in excruciating pain.

Roxy's_MA
December 12th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Awwww Poor Harely. I hope he starts feeling better soon!:love:

chico2
December 13th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Oh no,I hope the vet can help him,poor Harley,poor Rottilover:love:
The feeling of being helpless,when somebody is in pain,be it human or animal is heartbreaking and I hope Harley can get some relief..:sad:
I am not going off topic,but it brings to mind,how a cat must feel after declawing:sad:
:grouphug: to Harley and Rottielover:love:

Rottielover
December 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
the difference between harleys surgery and a cat declawing is alot. They removed the whole toes bone due to infection. The cat does not. The bone was completely infected. Now he is at home with a cone on, doped on 3 pain killers and still feeling the pain. I do not know how much longer I can carry 100 lb dog down 8 stairs. He really is not looking well. or feeling well. We have to go see the vet again on friday, then again on the 27th

chico2
December 13th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Rottielover,I did not mean to minimize the awful pain Charley is suffering...:sad:

Rottielover
December 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM
sorry did not mean to take it out on you, I am so sick to see him in the pain he is, have not really slept much, he is always tossing. I go back on friday, and if the pain does not decrease I will be stepping up and letting them know. Something does have to get done. he is too heavy to carry down the stairs:( :sad:

jawert1
December 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Is Harley on antibiotics too? I should imagine those would be kicking in and helping at least with the infection part, but regardless my thoughts are with the both of you through his recovery :(

Rottielover
December 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM
3 different pain killers, and antibiotics..... I am a running pharmacy now.

shannon1233A
December 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I'm so sorry, I must have missed this earlier. Wish I could take his pain away. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way:angel: :grouphug:

Rottielover
December 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
went home at lunch to check on my baby, and still not looking better. I called the vet to tell them, waiting for a call back, she was in surgery. He seems to be having reaction to the rimadyl as well as the metacam. Waiting to see what we should do.

Roxy's_MA
December 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Hopefully the recovery will start speeding up once all the meds kick in. Poor guy, :fingerscr for a speedy recovery.

SchnauzerGirl
December 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Harley! I hope that they can do something else to make the pain easier. :fingerscr

Hang in there Rottielover!

Rottielover
December 13th, 2005, 02:30 PM
spoke to the vet, and she feels that I should not wait until friday. I will be going in with him tonight. They are going to check to see if the infection is back. That is why it might be causing so much pain

chico2
December 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Rottielover,I am relieved to hear that,I don't think I could handle seeing my dog/cat suffering,poor baby:sad: and,no need to apologize,I can imagine you are very upset and frustrated.
Hopefully Harley will get some relief tonight:fingerscr

meb999
December 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I'll be sending you lotsa positive thoughts tonight -- I hope everything goes well at the vet's. I hope they got all the infected bone and he doesn't have to go back under the knife.
This must be so hard on you -- we're all thinking of you and hoping Harley starts feeling better tonight :fingerscr

CyberKitten
December 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM
So sorry to hear about Harley - and that your poor pooch is having such a tough time of it. Some days, as I watch parents of my parents, I think it is harder for them to watch their little ones. One little 8 yr old today asked me to "you better tewll my mom not to come" - I had to extract bone marrow which is quite painful, even with pain killers and sedation (we often give them a strong medication that helps them "forget" the event but it does not work well on all children and this little one has serious asthma so narcotics have to be used sparingly so I do give him more of other meds (one of my research specialties is pediatric pain but I think I have written ad nasueum about that). He was worried his mom would be upset - and alas, the child is right, his mom looks so upset that I know she makes him worry more than he needs to. Having been thru much of that as a child myself - which I think often helps me relate so well to what they are enduring (you never now what life experiences help!) - I knew what he meant. In a way, I was lucky because my parents both worked and often I was alone in a large hospital which forced me to become more outgoing and I met so many more ppl than I would have normally - not to make them sound cold, they had to work and did come when they could. One occasion, one of my sisters was jeaolus of my long visist to the big city and when she came to see me (my parents paid her way by plane to the big city of Boston), she cried most of the time and I thought it would drive me to distraction but her tears took my mind off my pain, lol It did cure her jealously and I see that as sibings visit and spend time with my patients now - they are often giving up so much attention and their needs get lost. I started a program for them actually - and now a nurse who has an interest in that area and is working on a PhD runs the group.

(I am on a tangent again).

Anyway - I am sure it is tough for you - so my advice is tio try to be calm when you are holding him. Pets - like my little one today - can sense your fear and emotion and it may make him more upset. He sounds like a little trooper, poor guy!! I think more research needs to be done on pet pain too - just as itr was negected (and still takes a back seat to adult pain) for so many yrs!!

I'll keep Harley and youi in my thoughts!

And for all my talk and so called wisdom, I am a wreck when YY has even a minor pain!!!!

Rottielover
December 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Well more news, we went back last night again, and what a trooper my big baby is. I was rigght, it was infected. Not the bone, but everything around it. So for ther pain, they upped his codiene, and gave diff kids of antibiotics to go with the others. So every 12 hours he is taking 10 pills, and every 8 he is taking 3. I hate to do this to his liver and kidneys, but I can not stand him being in this much pain.
after the large dose of codiene, he was back to his normal, I want to play self for about 5 mins, then doped out on the couch. I can not wait for this to be over. And to make it worse, I am having him tested for parasites. He is losing weight instead of gaining. No exercise, more food, something is wrong. So I want to eliminate that. If not, something else may be wrong :(:sad: :sad: :sad: :sick: :fingerscr

Bushfire2000
December 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
So sorry for Harley. :sad: Hope all goes well.

joeysmama
December 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Oh poor Harley! And poor you ! It's a horrible thing to watch them not being well. and to not know exactly how to make it better. I hope they find an answer to the weight loss and that it's something easily corrected. I'll pray for you both !

Dog Dancer
December 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I hope Harley starts to mend soon. It's always hard. I had a GSD X several years back who we had to have a toe amputated from. She did well with it, but she had no infection. I'm sure once all that clears up Harley will be fine. Probably the weight loss is just a reaction to all the meds and the infection and such. Hopefully. Hugs to Harley (and you). Good luck to him.:grouphug:

Prin
December 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Sorry to come in so late, but I'm really confused. In this thread: "...nail almost off" (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21843) you said he was seen by a vet. I don't understand how the vet missed a protruding bone. That was almost two weeks ago. I don't get it. I mean rotties don't have long hair on their feet, how did the vet miss that the first time?

Rottielover
December 18th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Just to let everyone Know that Harley seems to be slowly getting back to his old self. Although in pain at times, he wants to play in all the snow. He is finished all his antibiotics, and is only on high dose of codiene, and the brain drug now. As long as things keep getting better, he only has to go back on the 27th to remove the stiches. I am glad to have my puppy back. But the cat is not, LOL

meb999
December 18th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I'm SO glad Harley is doing better!! Give him a big hug for me :love:

chico2
December 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Rottielover,I am soo happy for Harley,hopefully the pain will also subside soon..I remember when I broke my big toe,boy,did it hurt and with Harley it was even worse.
Your beautiful cat will get used to him all over again:D

Rottielover
December 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Now the cat is in for it. He has tormented Harley since we got him 2 weeks ago. Teasing him. Well Harleys turn now that he is starting to feel better. But after the chase is done, they sleep together on my bed. LOL Goofy animals

chico2
December 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Rottielover,that's great!! I know everyone would love to see a pic:thumbs up

meb999
December 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM
lol -- sounds like the household is finally getting back to normal!
I agree with Chico -- some pics would be AWESOME!!!

Rottielover
December 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM
As soon as I can borrow a digital camera believe me I will put some up. Cpeitra has seen the new cat, and she knows Harley. She aggress the cat is more like a dog. He even tries to sleep in harleys crate. Kicked poor Harley out once or twice. LOL