Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy loses use of rear legs

aund8
December 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I have a litter of 4 1/2 week old Jack Russell pups. The mother stopped feeding them a week ago. I have them on a powdered milk replacement and canned pedigree pupfood w/lamb and rice every 4-5 hours. Three days ago two of the pups started to lose use of their back legs. One has since gotten better and the other alot worse even now it's front legs are not working right, they are splaying to the side. Could it be something missing in their diet? They have'nt had any injury. Maybe a vitamin missing or could it be something worse. Please Help! Thank You, Aund8

Dragonfly
December 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
If your pet is seriously ill, bleeding, can't move, hasn't pooped or peed in a couple of days, is vomiting, has green mucus coming out of the nose or eyes, hasn't eaten or drank in a few days, is pooping blood, is coughing blood, has a bloated tummy, cries when touched or picked up.....Then please take the poor animal to the VETERINARIAN ASAP.......Do not waste precious time posting on this or other bulletin boards or chartrooms. Your pet needs to be seen by a real live veterinarian immediately. Many pets have died waiting for advice when they should have been at the doctor's office.

I believe that 4 1/2 week old puppies with the described condition falll into this catagory.