Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat pees and poops on our nice carpets!! HELP!

Far Saturn
December 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM
We've had our cat, Mufasa (Mu) since the end of July 2005. He was around 6 weeks old when we bought him. He's absolutely adorable, so sweet and docile, and we love him to death. But ever since we got him de-clawed, he's been going to the bathroom on our expensive rugs instead of in his litter box. We'd been moving the box around, because we're still moving into our new house (we moved in to the actual house last December, but we're still situating the furniture), and we may have changed the brand of cat litter. We tried confining him to our downstairs bathroom, keeping him in there all day, with only his litter box, bed, and cat bowls. But training didn't go so well. It seemed the moment we let him out of the bathroom, he'd rush over to a rug and relieve himself, like he was holding it until he got out of the bathroom. My dad's been very angry about this whole thing, and he keeps getting madder and madder. Please help! We may have to get rid of our cat if this doesn't stop.:sad:

chico2
December 10th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I am secretly hoping this is not for real...:sad:
If it is,DECLAWING:mad: ,new house,expensive carpets,an angry father,all adds up to misery for your poor cat.
IMO,he probably has sore paws,does not like the litter and choses a softer place to do his business.
If the declawing was done resently (if you have read anything on this Forum,we are 100% against mutilating a cat,)he is more than likely uncomfortable in the litterbox.
I am sorry I do not have a solution for you,maybe someone else does..I just really feel sorry for your cat..:sad:

Far Saturn
December 10th, 2005, 05:06 PM
We had him declawed over two months ago. We also went out of our way to have him laser declawed so he wouldn't be in nearly as much pain or trauma of the traditional way. It was the only way to keep our kitty. There are also 4 girls in this house, he's entered kitty heaven! we make sure he's showered with love and affection whenever we see him. my mom even brings him to her work so he's not lonely at home. He's such a cute ball of fur, how can anyone resist petting him!
Also, it's not JUST the carpets he's peeing on, he pees everywhere but the litterbox, even the hardwood floors.

LM1313
December 10th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Declawing may make the litter feel scratchy and painful. Even if it isn't painful now, if it was painful after the surgery, he may have decided, "Ow! The litterbox hurts. No way am I going in there again!"

Try a new litter to help get rid of the negative association. Set it up in a new box (but leave the old box in place in case he decides he likes that better.) I think "Yesterday's News" litter is supposed to be easy on the paws.

I wish you hadn't gotten him declawed. It's the equivalent of cutting off the first joint of the finger. :( It means if he ever gets outside, he will be helpless to protect himself or climb trees fast enough to get away from a dog or predator. And, of course, it can lead to problems like this.

~LM~

chico2
December 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I am not going to debate with you different ways of removing a cats claws...laser or not,it is traumatic and painful to a cat,but the deed is done...
As for your carpet,you have to clean the spot where he goes and use a cleaner specifically made for pet-odors,something like Natures Wonder etc..
As long as he can smell his urine,although you might not be able to,he'll go back to the spot.
Cats are very sensitive to changes and I believe once the moving part is done with and he is back to a peaceful,routine environment he should stop his peeing on carpets.
Usually peeing out of the box,is a sign of stress or often of UTI(urinary tract infection),did you take him to see a vet?
If he has UTI,he will associate the litterbox with pain and will look for another place to go.

Far Saturn
December 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
thanks for the help, we did change the litter brand. He goes in his box every once in a while, and the moving is overwith now.

Lucky Rescue
December 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Instead of your dad getting "mad" at a confused, stressed and declawed cat, he needs to calm down and think about what this kitty has been through. It wasn't the kitten's choice to have his claws cut off, and he's just expressing his distress as you might too.

You need to have him checked for a urinary tract infection, which could be stress-induced.

You also need to have his paws checked, to make sure there is no deformed regrowth causing him pain.

If all is well on the health situation, you then need to confine him to a small area (small bathroom or dog crate) with his clean litterbox, food and bed. This way, he will have no option but to use the box.

This kitten was brought into your home and declawed,(which is amputation no matter how it was done) and you owe it to him to give him every kindness and consideration possible.

t.pettet
December 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Consider this: a cat/dog cannot sit down and discuss in the human language that he's in pain, nervous or feeling ill so he will do it through his behaviour which every (in-tune) pet owner will pick-up on when their pet is behaving differently from the norm. Tell your father to take a tranquilizer.

badger
December 10th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Above and beyond the declawing issue, moving house, etc., cats need a certain amount of private space to be happy. I would tell your mother to leave the cat at home. There are a few cats who can handle accompanying people to work or on errands, like a dog - the two I know personally are Siamese - but most are much happier staying in familiar surroundings.
He'll be fine by himself, even if he has to be confined, as long as he has a litter box, maybe a window to look out of, a few toys, a radio turned low.
It sounds pretty hectic at your house! Not to criticize, but for some cats this is enough for them to pee on the carpets or whatever, to express their unhappiness.

CyberKitten
December 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM
One of the most frequent ways declawed cats show how upset they are and how they cope with the pain is to avoid the litter box. I cannot recall the stats offhand but it is high. No matter how it is done (and it needs to be made illegal as it is in every industrial country except Canada and the US) declawing is painful and cruel!!! Many declawed kitties associate the litter box with pain - because even if you used Yesterday's News or easier litter postop, it still hurts for a cat with painful amputated limbs to walk there. So if you think like the cat, you look for a way to avoid the pain and the first ting is to avoid the placer where pain happens and that is the litter box. (The cat has not likely figured out this is due to the declaw surgery even tho psychologically and psychically, you no longer have the same happy cat you once had!. In fact, of cats surrendered at humane societies for behaviour probs, declawed cats peeing outside the litter box or "acting up" post surgery is the the no. 1 reason = so sad and so unnecessary!!! I realize the deed is now done and am sorry no-one educated you about this horrid surgery but now your cat has suffered the consequences and you will have to be creative in helping him overcome the pain.

Do not punish him whatever you do - God knows he hurts enuf as it is. Buy new litter boxes and try new litter (if the vet rec'd Yesterday's News, try something else that is not going to cause infection or hurt - world's best litter or wood pellets used for rabbits). Wash the areas he does his biz in and don't use ammonia - you might place citrus products there since cats dislike citrus tho if he is in enuf pain, he may not care. Cats are really really good at hiding pain!!

Bring him to a vet to make sure there are no post op complications that are adding to the pain. Give him lots of attention, care and love!!! The poor little guy has been so traumatized.

My vet once worked in a clinic (as a student) that did declaw surgery and she said every single cat that had the surgery woke up not only in agony but shaking their bloody paws all over the place - wondering what happened and scared out of their mind. She had to replace the bandages often and try to calm the kitties, even tho they had pain killers - cats need more pain killers than humans per pound and many vets skimp and do not take this into account and cats have long memories about bad things that happen to them and on a scale of 1-10, declaw is an 11. She was so upset at what she had to do in even treating these kitties - they were so sore and so upset, they would thrash around their cages and yowl and shake their paws and get blood everywhere. So when a someone comes into her office and asks for a declaw, she lectures them and how!!!! (Too bad your vet had not had the same experience but sadly some vets see dollar signs or give in to customers who worry about inanimate objects over their cat's welfare).

I am sorry to be so graphic but I get ill just thinking of declaw surgery and it makes me want to hug my babies - who will never loose their claws no matter what!!!!!

Try to give your cat as much help as possible - it is not his fault he is in pain and is avoiding the litter box. It may not be the declaw surgery but I seriously doubt that. If it is not, it is behaviour issue and cats who defecate and urinate inappropriately are sending us a message. Get him to a vet and help your poor baby!!!! ASAP!

t90princesst
December 14th, 2005, 06:18 PM
lets not get worked up over the declawing....

our youngest sorta forgot one day that she was litter box trained. i have no idea why but she decided nope, she wasnt anymore. so what i did was confinded her into a room and kept her in there for a few days so she would get used to seeing it every day and would go in it. and after a few days she seems to magically remember :) and she's fine now!

vfrohloff
December 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM
How many litter boxes do you have? When you say he's got 4 girls in the house I assume you mean girl cats? If so, although it may sound fun to you, it may not be fun for him especially if he has to share litter boxes with them. You should have one box per cat plus one (ie: I have 6 cats and 7 litter boxes). Many cats don't like to pee in the same box they poop in. How clean do you keep your litter? Most cats are really clean and don't like to walk in their own waste so if the box isn't clean they will find a cleaner place to go. I also agree with the change in litter. I offer my cats a few boxes with coarser litter and a few boxes with very fine litter. My one declawed cat (I rescued him that way, I would never declaw my cats) always uses the boxes with the finer litter in them because it is easier on his paws. Also, are your litters in high traffic areas? Cats are very sensitive to changes in their environment and if he can't feel safe in the litter box then he won't go in there. One of my cats recently started peeing on the carpet right next to the litter box. I finally figured out that she is afraid of the Christmas tree I put right next to it. There is always a reason why cats do these things, you just have to try and think like a cat and figure it out.