Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats biting on my cords

misslaydee510
December 9th, 2005, 06:12 PM
i am so mad. my cats have been biting on my CORDS. my phone charger cord and broke it, my keyboard cord, and broke it i went thru 3 already!!! they chew on my x-mas lights and they no longer work. they must do it at night, cuz i dont see them in the day doung it. what can i do?? they are maknig me SO upset.

Lucky Rescue
December 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I would be more worried about my cats being electrocuted than being angry about the wires, although of course it's very inconvenient to have them do this.

You can get sprays that repel cats, rigid cord covers that they can't bite through, U-shaped nails to attach the cords to baseboards or walls, bitter apple spray, etc.

misslaydee510
December 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM
well i am mad. at them. so please understand.

these cords are expensive and hard and innconnviant to replace.

i love my cats but what is this.......

Lucky Rescue
December 9th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I do understand. I don't like having things wrecked either, but these are animals and don't understand the value of things. Getting mad at cats isn't going to change anything.

I gave you a lot of options to try. One of them should solve the problem!:)

CyberKitten
December 10th, 2005, 12:50 AM
I have been through what you are going thru only it was with my rabbit who never met a cord (cell phone, phone, you name it, that he did not like, lol) But I was worried about HIM!! NIt the $50 plus cord he chewed. He seemed to think phone cords especially were competition since I'd be on the phone and ity would go dead - I'd look down and sure enuf, there was my beloved, lol I worried about him being electrocuted or chewing rubber that would end up in his tender digestive tract. I do not understand why you would be angry with your cats - they don't understand what they are doing is wrong. And punishment does not work with any animal - it only scares them and is cruel actually!! So you need to find alternatives. Wireless phones and computers, buying phone cords at the dollar store since you know you may go thru them, or using bitter apple even tho I hate aversive techniques. Cats dislike citrus so spraying citrus products avail at pet stores may help. But please, it is not your kittys' fault!!!! They only know what you teach them!!!! Love them and give them alternatives and take a deep breath - if you have animals, you have to kitten proof your home for them, not for your expensive equipment. If you value the equipment more, you may not be the best person to have cats.

chico2
December 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I am assuming these are kittens,my three cats have never shown any interst in any cords.
I too would worry more about my cats than the cords.
You have gotten some good suggestions,I can only suggest you buy the plastic covers for mutiple wires,cheap at IKEA.Also try to keep any cords from dangling on the floor,maybe cover them with a chair or another piece of furniture.

mycat
December 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Home Depot, or any other do-it-yourself home building store, sells water copper pipes. You can buy a 10 feet pipe, cut it into 1-feet (or 1/2 feet) pieces, and insert any cord thru it.

You can tell store employees to cut it for you. They have a special pipe cutter, do very quick.

Now your cord will be guaranteed safe !

This also cheap as well.