Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question (sad)

angie79
December 9th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I am going to the hospital tonight to visit my grand father, who will be in there for the holidays and there after... I want to tak in a little tree the ones they sell in the pot... but does anyont know if i would be alloud to plung in lights?

StaceyB
December 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM
You can get lights now that don't plug in, sorry I don't remember what they are called. Someone else might. You will be able to string up the tree w/o having to plug it in.

BoxerRescueMTL
December 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I used to go visit my grandma (who loved her xmas decorations!) in the hospital and she was in there through xmas. We took all her decorations from home and decorated her room with them. I am pretty sure we plugged stuff in..this was around 10 yrs ago at the Lasalle General though..
All the best to your grandfather :)

SnowDancer
December 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Battery operated christmas lights are available but are hard to come by. I saw a brief glimpse of some on the Shopping Channel as I was flipping the remote. I don't buy from Shopping Channel so Googled and came up with only US sites - at least the several I checked. Problem is most only run about 10 hours - I did ask at Home Hardware and this is why they stopped carrying them. In looking at US sites some were called "Rice Lights". Some were quite inexpensive - one set quite expensive - probably the one you would want in terms of appearance and safety. What I did notice though in reading the fine print is that some strands - about 20 mini lights - cannot be connected to another strand which could be a problem. Other versions specificaly mentioned being able to connect which of course you would want. People use them to decorate wreaths, garlands etc. where they do not have outlets. You might be able to find them in Montreal - I have looked in Toronto at Cdn. Tire, Home Depot, etc. but to no avail. You could always ask the hospital if you could plug in lights, but I guess so much will depend on the hospital's policies and building factors. Hope your grandma feels better soon.

shannonRN
December 9th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I can only tell you my hospital's policy, which states that biomedical (in the case of medical equipment, such as an individual's own sleep apnea machine) or environmental services (in the case of non-medical electronics) have to check the cords for potential hazards and for stray electromagnetic energy before use.

That being said, pretty much anything people bring in, we allow to plug in---from cell phone chargers, to video games and portable DVD players, laptops, etc and don't worry about having environmental services check the cords. However, we as staff are not allowed to put up christmas trees with lights.

I'm sorry about your grandfather's condition. Go ahead and get him the tree--Check with the nurses before you bring it in the room or call before you go. Worst case scenario, you can't plug it in. I'm sure he will enjoy it anyway. The only other potential issue would be the live plant thing, but only severely immune compromised pt's are restricted from having plants.

raingirl
December 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Ikea has a whole selection of battery operated lights this year. They have tube lights and regular ones. Also, craft stores sell them, like Michael's, Lewis Craft, White Rose (don't know if you have those there).

CyberKitten
December 10th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Our hospital too has strict policies about electrical equipment but check with the ward clerk or nurse manager on your grandfather's unit. They may well allow a tree with cords but more likely they would prefer one with batteries. Also keep in mind if he is his own room it may be fine but if he is sharing a room, that is another question again. You will have to ask his roomate if it is OK with them. And if is in ICU or special care unit, it may also be a problem. If the tree is not allowed, you can always find him a material tree. My mom makes these wonderful material trees that are great for hospitals. (Material = fabric)

Can I ask why you added sad - I work in a hospital every day and why would you call it sad? Sure it is not the best place but it can be soooo uplifting!!

chico2
December 10th, 2005, 04:54 PM
My youngest son was in Sick Childrens Hosp over Christmas one year(open-heart surgery)and I brought him a small tree,had no problems with plugging it in.

maddoxies
December 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I saw a little table top tree at Cdn Tire which had fibre optics and runs on batteries

Our best to your grandfather