Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

keeping calm ???

Rottielover
December 9th, 2005, 08:14 AM
With Harley still in pain with his paw. The cold seems to agitate it even more. It is snowing like crazy hear, and it is Harley favorite weather. How in the heck do I keep him calm while walking in this weather. He still can not walk far without showing pain. I am afraid that if he runs in the snow he can do alot more damage. What can I do for the poor miserable man.:pawprint:

Lissa
December 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I don't think you'll be able to stop Harley from being excited if its his favourite time of year.

Since he seems to be in a lot of pain, I wouldn't let him off-leash anytime soon. Did you decide to have the rest of the nail removed or leave it as it was?

My friend's dog, who just had the same thing happen to him was okay off-leash - but he 's a very calm dog and doesn't do a lot of running when he's 100%.;)

Maybe you guys could work on obedience or some mental games:confused: !? Although, I guess you'll need to be careful about how many treats Harley gets since he won't be as active.

Is he okay in the house (is it the cold/dampness that's bothering him)?!? If he's better in the house, I would just be taking him for quick pee/poop breaks and "play" inside.:)

Rottielover
December 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I do that. I am not worried about harley gaining weight, he is thin. But the second he got outside today with the snow. Pain, what pain... I want to play. OB what OB, I want to play.....Ouch mommie it hurts, but I still want to play. He has been practically stuck in the house since Sat afternoon. He is going crazy. Nothing is cutting it anymore

Prin
December 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Boots wouldn't help? I'd tape up the foot and head on out... With Jemma, we put a sock on her and then wrapped the foot in athletic tape (not too tight) so the sock wouldn't move and hurt the toe more.