Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin irritation?

KayCus
December 9th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Hello!

I'm a new member, and just recently found pets.ca. I live in Labrador Canada and recently got my puppy Gunner. He is a purebred Duck Tolling Retriever, and nearing the sixth month mark. Early last month he began to chew at a patch on his leg, and he chewed his fur right off. I asked the vet when I got his vaccinations, and she said he was just sensitive to his first vaccination at the kennel. The fur started to grow back, but he kept chewing and the patch didn't go away. I asked again this month and the vet said it might be a rash common to puppies, but she's never seen it on the leg, she gave me some pills to give him. But she seemed uncertain. Anyone with some advice or help in that area? I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but he also seems very scared, brave around us but at a loud sound or new face he gets very frightened. Help?

Thanks alot!
Kayla Bonnie Best.

BMDLuver
December 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Hi Kayla,
Welcome to the board! Nova Scotia Duck Tollers can be somewhat shy and anxious around new people and sounds.. as they mature this becomes less evident. Perhaps you could let us know what you are feeding him? Perhaps something in his food is causing this allergy. Did the vet give you vanectyl-P for the itching or was it something else? Usually when it's a compromised immune system, which is evident in some pups, you would see a rash around the inner leg and stomach, genital area which a round of mild antibiotics would take care of. Leg chewing normally indicates allergy. I'm no vet this is just from experience so please take everything with a grain of salt. Just more information might help to better make suggestions.

Tuckers Paw
December 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I have a dog that has fall allergies. He chews at his paws in the fall and I give him some meds that the vet provided, seems to stop the itching. He never showed a rash but the skin would be pinkish. Just my experience.

Hope the puppy gets better!!!:fingerscr

Prin
December 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Are you sure he's getting enough exercise? Hunting dogs like tollers can self-mutilate if they are too bored and start to get anxious. ;)

jessi76
December 9th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Early last month he began to chew at a patch on his leg, and he chewed his fur right off. I asked the vet when I got his vaccinations, and she said he was just sensitive to his first vaccination at the kennel. The fur started to grow back, but he kept chewing and the patch didn't go away. I asked again this month and the vet said it might be a rash common to puppies, but she's never seen it on the leg, she gave me some pills to give him.

What leg is the patch on? demodex is VERY common in puppies - most outgrow it by 8-10mths. My pup had it. Usually you'll notice a red, scaley patch (with fur loss) on the face and/or forelegs. My pup had 3 small patches, one on his back, one on his belly, and one at the base of the tail. A vet will normally do a skin scraping to check for the mites. After confirmation, my vet prescribed an ointment which cleared it up (it took 2 months). If it doesn't go away, or more patches crop up, you may want to ask for a skin scraping. (at the very least it will rule it out)

KayCus
December 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM
The patch is on his left leg, high up almost the hip. We've been feeding him puppy chow, and he sneeks table scraps sometimes. He gets quite a bit of exercise both in and out of the house xD There is no redness or inflamation, but I did notice a couple of small bumps, it doesn't hurt him to touch it but he still hasn't stopped chewing. The fur is still growing back though, and he hasn't lost anymore. The patch is still noticable to other people though because the rest of him is so fluffy. Thank you all for your advice, I go to the vet again next week, and I'll bring up the subject of possible allergies.

jessi76
December 10th, 2005, 12:28 PM
If you check out the pet food forum, you'll see many recommendations for foods MUCH BETTER than puppy-chow. good luck at your next vet apt, I hope it clears up soon.