Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cocker Spanial Biting

IpyroI
December 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I have a 3 month old cocker and he licks you then he decides to bite and he bites hard! If you yell at him or tap him on the nose it doesnt matter he stands back and jumps and barks at you. no matter what you do he does not learn he just keeps coming back for more. hes not affraid of anything at all!
anyone have any ideas on what to do???

thanks

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM
a great training clue: speak in terms your puppy understands (doglish). in this case, when he bites: yelp loudly in a highpitched sound, just like a dog does when hurt or afraid. that's what a fellow puppy would do to convey pain, it says "hey don't do that it hurts!". this should startle your puppy into letting go and backing off, then say nothing and give a chew toy and praise if puppy takes it and chews on THAT instead.

practice your puppy yelps and make sure you time them well. took 3 times before our pup got it but he has never bitten any human skin since then!

good luck!

SnowDancer
December 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM
"Ouch" only works if your dog or cat recognize pain other than your own. My cat is only concerned with his pain - so imagine his "delight" to find out that our Eskimo is the same - and they both weight 22 lbs. and since the cat always starts things going in a sneaky fashion, well they are evenly matched. Your pup is 3 months old - my Eskie has huge teeth for a 22 lb. dog. When you say he is biting - is he really sort of gnawing on you - or play biting as opposed to outright biting? My Eskie did this and sometimes still thinks my hands are chew toys when he has an Eskie moment - now down to one a day at 20 months. But my husband's family had a cocker spaniel many years ago and he would play nice and then seriously bite, drawing blood. That is a different situation.

IpyroI
December 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM
well he bites playful sometimes but other times he licks and licks then bites for no reason and its hard sometimes... has made my dad bleed with his sharp puppy teeth. we've had 2 cockers b4 and they were perfect. but this one is just not afraid of anything at all. he just gets mad and taunts you. i dunno what to do. hes drivin my parents crazy :sad: