Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

webbed paws

heather331
December 8th, 2005, 07:52 PM
i'm still trying to figure out what mix of breeds my pup is. she has webbed paws. i know that labs and retrievers have have webbed paws but i was wondering what other breeds may have webbed paws.

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
most dogs bred for water (most sporting group breeds, and many working group breeds) have webbed toes. This includes:

Akita
Brussels Griffon
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Chinook
Field Spaniel
German Shorthaired Pointer
German Wirehaired Pointer
Irish Water Spaniel
Labrador Retriever
Leonberger
Mi-Ki
Miniature Poodle
Native American Indian Dog
Newfoundland
Norwegian Buhund
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Otterhound
Plott Hound
Portuguese Water Dog
Redbone Coonhound
Ringtail Sing-a-Ling
Spanish Water Dog
Toy Poodle
Weimaraner
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

from http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-22285.html

Bushfire2000
December 8th, 2005, 08:08 PM
It's great that you want to find out what breedmix your dog is.
But don't get too hung up on the answer, she's beautiful, she's healthy, you love her and she loves you.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I don't understand the webbed feet thing. Every dog I have ever had has had webbed feet. Even my Dobie (but I guess they're pointers in the end...). I guess I have to see an unwebbed doggy to believe they actually exist...

But I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out the mix because her body will change so many times in the next year or two.;)

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 09:22 PM
prin, here's a good tidbit on dog's feet:

Different paws for different dogs:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/feet.html

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I've seen different shapes of feet and all that, but I have never seen an unwebbed doggy. Maybe some might be thicker webbed, but never unwebbed. Has anybody seen an unwebbed doggy?

heather331
December 8th, 2005, 10:13 PM
hmmm thanks...i didnt know so many dogs had webbed feet. maybe they all do...i dont know!

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM
it is length of web to the end of the toes. i'm looking for a photo online but hard to find, LOL! i'm too lazy to photograph my dog's foot right now, LOL!

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM
My GSD has slightly webbed feet.....:D

Just know she has a ton of Husky in her.:D

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Huskies aren't webbed? All the huskies I know are... I think it would help keep them above the snow- like snowshoes...

Monkfish
November 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
most dogs bred for water (most sporting group breeds, and many working group breeds) have webbed toes. This includes:

Ringtail Sing-a-Ling

from http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-22285.html

I'm not sure about their toes, but isn't a Ringtail Sing-a-Ling a cat?

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
looks like somebody inserted a cat in that list of dogs to see if we were paying attention :p obviously, in my copy-and-paste, i was not!! geeez whiz.... LOL

mafiaprincess
November 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
What's funnier Techno? The fact that if you google, you get that list repeatedly with that cat in it. Many people have copied and pasted it like that.

chico2
November 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
What on earth is a Ringtail Sing-a-Ling:confused: