Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dangers in neutering at an old age

Mrs Bungle
December 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Hey,

Our sheltie is 10 years old approx. He is unneutered. Would it be wise to get him neutered at his age? Can this cause complications for him of any kind?

Just curious..

LM1313
December 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I would ask the vet what he/she thinks. I don't think the surgery itself would be very risky--neutering isn't very complicated or invasive--but the anethestic is a concern with some older dogs. They do use anesthetic for neutering, right?

~LM~

Mrs Bungle
December 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I am pretty sure that they do use anesthesia for that surgery but im not 100% sure...

I think hes okay with being under, since he had to be put under recently for his teeth (he had alot of rotten teeth that had to be pulled when we got him)

But what about his behaviour?? Will it change him in that way at all?

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I would get the whole blood work up before you go for surgery. The anaesthetic is the biggest risk and it's hard on the kidneys so it's better to know if they're ok before going in.:)

But I don't think there are any bigger risks with the neutering itself compared to a younger doggy. You would, of course, be lowering the chances of certain reproductive cancers.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM
But what about his behaviour?? Will it change him in that way at all?At 10, there shouldn't be much if any change in him at all.:)

Mrs Bungle
December 8th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Okay cool... We will probably have to wait a bit though.. i dont want to put too much stress on his body since he just recently was put under..

Maybe it will stop him from doing the old air humping he likes to do from time to time *LOL*

Sorry.. had to throw that in there...

Lissa
December 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
The only risk that came to my mind is that because the dog is older, it makes the surgery more complicated because blood vessels have formed/entwined... when you neuter young you don't have to worry about that.

However, vet's and thier tech's deal with that on a daily basis - so its not a huge risk...it's just not as easy to do as dogs get older.

BMDLuver
December 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I would think that if he recently had his teeth worked on under anesthetic that going under for neutering would not be a problem. It's about 10 minutes to neuter and about 1 hour plus to work on teeth so if any complications from anesthetic were to happen it would have presented itself during the teeth cleaning.

As Lissa said, when a dog is older then the neutering can be a bit more tricky. Quite often a condition called "blue balls" will occur. This is a minor tear where the scrotum can fill with blood after surgery. It's easily taken care of by offering some pain meds for a few days and antibiotics for 10 days. The blood dissolves within a month to 6 weeks. We did two older Great Dane's who this condition resulted in but were right as rain in a few days.

Lucky Rescue
December 9th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Just curious, but why do you want to neuter at dog at 10 years old? Any behaviors he has now are deeply ingrained and wont' change with neutering. The only difference is that he wont' be able to impregnate females.

Mrs Bungle
December 9th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Lucky rescue, Well for one, we were hoping to possibly get another senior sheltie one day, boy or girl, and dont want there to be any problems either from him to the other dog, or from wherever we adopt them from (alot of places wont let us adopt becuase scruffy is intact)

And secondly, as some people have mentioned above, it could lower the risk of him getting cancers in that area...

Prin
December 9th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Whatever the reason, I'm all for it.:thumbs up

100%doglover
December 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Clearly I'm in the monitory here but I would not put a 10 year old dog under for that! Technically speaking he is what he is as he's so old already and his behaviour is not likely to change. So why risk having complications? Having surgery always takes a toll on the body and is not without risks. When you're looking into adopting another dog, why not just go for a female? Normally Male-Female pairing is more successful anyway.

Lucky Rescue
December 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Clearly I'm in the monitory here but I would not put a 10 year old dog under for that! Technically speaking he is what he is as he's so old already and his behaviour is not likely to change. So why risk having complications? Having surgery always takes a toll on the body and is not without risks. When you're looking into adopting another dog, why not just go for a female? Normally Male-Female pairing is more successful anyway.

I must agree. The only way I would neuter a 10 year old is if he were being adopted out.

As for rescues not adopting to people with intact pets, it's not due fear of fighting or unwanted litters.

Rather, it's that we do not consider people who don't spay or neuter to be responsible owners.

Boubou
December 10th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I agree also. I am the biggest advocate when it comes to spay and neuter but i wouldn't suggest neutering your 10 year old sheltie, unless there is a medical reason. Shelties and collies are very sensitive and I wouldn' t risk it.....:pawprint: :pawprint: