Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Omega 3 Question

SchnauzerGirl
December 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and input regarding Schultz's allergies. It is getting better but we were back at the vet again so the vet decided that we needed to try a two week round of an antihistamine called chlorpheniramine and oil of oregano to see if it helps.

Today I was reading that if you are using an antihistamine, you should also be giving your dog Omega 3 fatty acid as part of the treatment plan. Has anyone done this (treatment or given their dog Omega 3)? Would I just go into a health food store and get it from them, or should I call the vet's office and see if he would recommend doing this? Do vet's even return people's calls if you have a question like this?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Hunter's_owner
December 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Hi. I also have a dog with allergies. We believe it is his food (chicken-based) and tried to switch him to a lamb and rice but twice he became really ill after eating just a small amount of the lamb and rice.

Anyways, about the Omega-3, when we first brought him to the vet and it was decided that he did have allergies, Omega capsules were what she first recommended. She then said that if this didn't help, then we would discuss other options along with the Omega.

As for where to get it, I would recommend asking your vet first because the Omega capsules for Hunter were a veterinary product, so I'm not sure if there is any difference in what humans can take compared to what dogs can take.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your allergic dog...I know what its like...

SchnauzerGirl
December 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks Hunter's Owner! I'll check with the vet today.

Do you think that the Omega 3 is helping your dog? How long has your dog been on it?

Hunter's_owner
December 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Well he started with 1 pill a day last week, and began two pills a day this week, so he hasn't really been taking them long enough for me to see much of a difference yet. And as well we had a bad episode when trying to switch his food, so that caused a delay also. So hopefully in a week or so we will see a difference.

SchnauzerGirl
December 9th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Ok, so I just talked with the vet clinic and they said go ahead - either I can get Omega 3 at the health food store or buy the oil at their place, doesn't matter. As a matter of interest, are you able to tell me what the dosage is on the back of your bottle? How many lbs is your dog?

Hunter's_owner
December 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM
The capsules are 1000mg. The vet said 1 a day for a week and 2 a day after because it can cause "loose stools". Hunter is between 85 and 90 pounds, and now gets 2000mg a day.

SchnauzerGirl
December 9th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot. I think that I will go to the health food store and see what I can come up with since pill form might be easier than oil on the food. My doggy is extremely fussy when it comes to stuff in his food :sad:

joytoy
December 12th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Hey , I have been that route with Omega 3 but approach with caution.The comment about loose stools is REAL! I gave flax seed oil about 1 Tablespoon a day and boy did my dogs have a problem They are small 16-17 lbs but I persevered but no luck. I would give small amount to be sure the dog can tolerate it. There is also hemp seed oil that is loaded with Omega 3 and 6. Good for you too!:)

SchnauzerGirl
December 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Apparently the only kind of capsules they sell at my health food store are the horse pill sized ones! Before I go out and buy some Omega 3, I thought that since I take the capsules myself, I would break one open and put it on his food - that way the amount won't be much and I can judge from there. If this works, I think that hemp seed oil might be the route I'll go down. Thanks again.