Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog park envy

LM1313
December 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I'm so envious hearing about the dog parks your doggies play in! We don't have a single dog park in Spokane. :( I know they were considering annexing a piece of land to make one at one point, but nothing ever came of it.

The good news is that our mayor just got recalled, so I'm going to write a letter to our interim mayor begging him to reconsider the idea.

~LM~

Roxy's_MA
December 8th, 2005, 01:41 PM
If you have no dog parks, I am curious if you are allowed to walk dogs in regular parks. Here we have them, but they are pretty much the only parks you can take your dog in.

jessi76
December 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
we don't have any dog parks. I live in an area with many "state" park areas - picnic areas, camping, hiking, rock climbing, swimming, etc... and unless there is an obvious sign (like on some of the beachy areas), I take my dog to them all.

PattiK
December 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Careful what you wish for:)
Sometimes other owners at dog parks aren't as conscientious as you are and stand in coffee clutches while the dogs run around. There are fights, the last time I was there some brainiac brough an intact bitch in heat, even though the rules clearly stated there are to be no intact dogs at the park. It can lead to negative socialization and steps backwards with training if the dog finds other dogs more exciting or better playmates than you.
If you're going to go to them make sure you know the other owners there, or go when there aren't too many other dogs. Not to burst your bubble, but there are negative aspects to dog parks as well as positive ones!