Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting x-rays tomorrow

kayla
December 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Kayla's had a recurring limp which hasn't gone away so I'm taking her in to get x-rayed tomorrow. I really hope it just turns out to be nothing, but it's been going on for so long. Thing is it seems to only be in one leg, her hind left, so maybe she sprained it and it never fully healed and she needs to keep quiet for a while (which would be very difficult with her as she's pretty hyperactive). Or it could be her knees or hip dysplasia :( They have to put her under anesthetics too because she needs to lie in a weird position for the x-rays and given that she can't stay still for long. She has to stay there all morning. Ugh, I hate this!

Could a recurring limp have another cause? Is it likely to be just an old muscle injury? Anyone know anything that can make me stop worrying so much?

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
There are lots of reasons for a persistant or recurring limp. But please try not to worry too much until you get the results!

And let us know what happens!

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I just hope you get an answer. A friend of mine's doggy has a limp and they can't figure out why. It definitely worsened on Eukanuba (Euk seems to cause stiffness in some doggies), but they can't get rid of it. Good luck!:fingerscr

kayla
December 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM
It's just such a random limp, and it was bad two days ago after a long hard play session, but seems fine today, although she always seems a little stiff especially in the morning. When I touch around her knee she doesn't act like it hurts, but seems interested and looks at my hand, whereas when I touch any other area around her hips and whatnot she just lies there. I don't know, guess I will find out tomorrow, or maybe I won't find out who knows. My vet doesn't have an ultrasound to look at muscles so if they can't find anything I will have to take her somewhere else. At least I've got pet insurance, the x-rays alone are over $100.

Anyways, trying to take your advice LR and not worry too much, unfortunately I'm a chronic worrier, especially when my baby's sick:sick:

Lissa
December 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
How's Kayla doing!?! Could the vet tell you anything?

Dodger has a "bad leg" too - he was bitten as a puppy and its never properly healed...if he's gonna get injured, its always the same leg!

I hope Kayla's limp isn't something really serious...it really is a good thing that you have pet insurance!!

kayla
December 9th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I dropped her off at the vet 2 hours ago, still no news. I'm baking her some pumpkin cookies right now so I can spoil her when she gets home. Hopefully I will also be celebrating that it is nothing serious.:fingerscr

Prin
December 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Have you tried calling? As long as you don't call every 10 minutes, it's ok..:)

:fingerscr :fingerscr

kayla
December 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I just called and they said they haven't even taken the x-rays and won't be until this afternoon. Why did they say she had to be there before 10am then? How annoying.

Lissa
December 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
My friend is a vet tech, so I unfortunately, I get to hear how things actually work at the clinic...Basically the dogs are left in "kennels" (cages) until the vet has a spare moment to look at them...most clinics like to get the surgeries done in the morning but if one gets canceled or goes quicker then expected, they have our babies on stand-by, waiting in the cage:sad: ! X-rays can be done by vet techs so I don't know why they would make Kayla stay in a cage all day:confused: .

Let us know when you hear anything:fingerscr :) !

kayla
December 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
X-rays can be done by vet techs so I don't know why they would make Kayla stay in a cage all day:confused: .

Maybe because she has to be anesthetized to get them? She didn't get to eat breakfast either because she is going under, my poor baby must be hungry:( The office was completely empty when I took her in this morning I don't know why they couldn't just do it then. Oh well, they close at 6 so for sure she will be done by then.

SnowDancer
December 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Guess it is like people. I have had to report at 7:30 a.m. and sat there until 3:00. Not fair though when a dog is a patient - they are people plus. Hope it turns out to be something very minor.