Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our tiniest neighbor, grossss....

papillonmama
December 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Since it's gotten colder, I've noticed some scurrying, scratching, yuck and once in a while even a little squeak. Ugh, I've got a mouse. I have two cats, and though they are interested, they don't seem to be actively chasing it.
I live alone, except for my kids, and I have to admit, I am squeamish, so those snap traps are out, I don't like those glue traps either, and I don't like the mouse in my house. So I'm stumped, maybe someone can tell me some other way to deter the little guy, at least, I hope it's a guy. :yuck:
Help!

jessi76
December 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM
my mom uses an electronic gadget - don't know the name of it, but you plug it in, and it emits a high frequency sound that repells rodents (warning! do not use this if you own hampsters, or any pets in the rodent family - will drive them crazy) My mom bought it at a Home Depot I think.

I don't bother with traps, if the mouse is stupid enough to come into plain view, my youngest cat will get it. If I lived closer to you I'd let you borrow her...;)

papillonmama
December 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jessi,
I'll go and check them out...

shannonRN
December 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
My advice would be...make friends with your new neighbors. They're tough to get rid of.

I think a professional exterminator is probably the best bet. I've never heard of anyone really having luck with those electronic things. In the meantime, keep your kitchen meticulously clean, pick your dog food up at night, etc. If they don't find food, they probably will stay out of your living space and just hang out in the walls for warmth. Good luck.

maddoxies
December 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
The elctronic things work where you have clear line of sight. Walls, etc block the sound waves.

We had mice one winter. Little devils :evil: :evil: used the central vac system as their own private transit system. They got by 2 goldens and a cat. They nested in the closet of the spare bedroom and used their transit system at night. It is amazing what they will chew through to find food. We found all kinds of dried pasta, etc in the closet when we moved - long after the mice were gone.

Good luck:fingerscr

I am coming in to TO for Christmas. You can borrow my doxie Heidi. She will put the "paws" to them !!