Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lets play the guessing game..LOL

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM
A co-worker emailed me these..:)

So now lets get some suggestions to as what this breed is.

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Here is another pic.

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
And yet another..LOL

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Last one...I promise......LOL

I'll back tonight..........:D

papillonmama
December 8th, 2005, 08:08 AM
My guesses...
1. Panda Shepherd, ( some obscure breed [I kind of thought was a mutt]I stumbled upon on the web)
2. Cattle dog
3. German shepherd, husky, border collie?
4. Great Dane, Shepherd?

*shrug*
just wanted to guess, I like this game.;)

Rottielover
December 8th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Husky border colley cross

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM
looks like a "panda shepherd" to me too!

http://www.pandashepherds.com

:crazy:

StaceyB
December 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Could you make the adult pics bigger.

happycats
December 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I say Husky/Burnese

Rottielover
December 8th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Is Panda sheperd a real breed, or a genetic default. Figuring they come from reg blank and tans. I would say the colour is a default. It looks like the so called panda shep colour

Roxy's_MA
December 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Husky border colley cross

That's my guess too!

StaceyB
December 8th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Those ears are shepherd, the eyes and coat look to be husky and the colour border. So my guess is your third choice, Shepherd/husky/border

shannonRN
December 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Can't even debate this one...go here http://www.kerstoneshepherds.com/patterns.htm
Panda shepherd

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
holy cow! i had *no idea* there existed so many coat & color variations in the shepherd - thanks for that!

Roxy's_MA
December 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Me neither, that is the first I learned about the panda shepard. I couldn't really tell, did the dogs on that link have blue eyes?

Lissa
December 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Clearly a Panda Shepherd ;)

http://www.lewcinkaskennels.com/index1.html

I've never heard of this genetic mutation before today!

shannonRN
December 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Roxy, if you look at the first panda photo, the adult (my link)--its right eye appears to be blue. ON technodoll's page, some have blue too--Look for a dog with white fur on his face and usually you see a blue eye on that side. Just a pigment thing I guess. Cool looking dogs--never seen one in person though. Probably cost a fortune!

Rottielover
December 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
do not know why they would cost a fortune, they really are not a breed, or known to the AKC or CKC colouring. The only people selling them as rare would be BYB. Not worth the money. From them. If it happens by mistake and they were sold as pet different story, but to breed them purposely screams BYB to me

Lissa
December 8th, 2005, 01:19 PM
do not know why they would cost a fortune, they really are not a breed, or known to the AKC or CKC colouring. The only people selling them as rare would be BYB. Not worth the money. From them. If it happens by mistake and they were sold as pet different story, but to breed them purposely screams BYB to me

I don't really know but if you go to the link I posted, you'll see the pics and an explanation. My initial though would have BYB but if you read the explanation it kinda makes sense and isn't the owners fault.

shannonRN
December 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I don't know much about the panda variation of shepherds, but they're not a breed, it's a color variation of GSD, just like you might say 'black and tan shepherd' or 'bicolor shepherd.' It's a rare color variation at that, so will bring a high price. Everyone has their own opinions, and I have mine--I think it's silly to say it should not be intentionally reproduced just because you can register but not show the dog. You can't show a neutered dog, but that's no reason not to neuter. It's a GSD in all respects and hasn't been mixed with any other breeds to get that color and can be registered as a GSD with the AKC. It's color is just a disqualifying fault in AKC shows.

I usually avoid the issue of breeding and probably opening a can of worms here but don't think someone is a BYBer because they produce a rare dog. And there are many breeds that are not recognized by and don't want to be incorporated by the AKC. A breed is not born the exact second the AKC recognizes it---they have been bred over and over and over again by breed clubs and so-called BYBers. Then AKC one day says they want to incorporate the breed.

The whole process of AKC recognition is fairly arbitrary IMO. AKC still does not recognize white as an acceptable color variation of GSD. Solid black, though very rare--they almost always have a small amount of brown somewhere--is acceptable, but white is not, even though white dogs have occurred naturally, without intermixing of other breeds, for as long as there has been a GSD breed. There are breeders who intentionally breed white GSDs and I believe there are many who do it responsibly. Someday they may be recognized as their own breed. The same appears to be true of Panda shepherds. After intentionally breeding to produce these colorations for a long period of time, they will evolve separately from GSDs and may be a recognized breed some day.

Sorry for the rant but GSDs are a breed I love above all others.

Rottielover
December 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I can go into it, but it is way too long, and not appropriate here so I won't !

Roxy's_MA
December 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
And there are many breeds that are not recognized by and don't want to be incorporated by the AKC. A breed is not born the exact second the AKC recognizes it---they have been bred over and over and over again by breed clubs and so-called BYBers. Then AKC one day says they want to incorporate the breed.

Very true, my own Jack Russell is one of these breeds.

chico2
December 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Definetly Panda/Shepard/husky/cutie:D

happycats
December 8th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Oh Mona! Where are you with the answer?!:)

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Yup,it's a Panda Shepherd.......:D

Actually they are a breed.They are a purebred GSD...They are registered under the CKC and AKC as GSD(the breed)..The colouring is a different story.In the show world,it is a fault.And yes they are classified as "rare" because of the colouring.But they can compete in the "rare" breeds.They still become Ch's...These breeders do all the genetic and health testing and have them certified.They came from a Blk/Tan Sire and a Black Dam.DNA testing was done.There is only one breeder here in Ontario.They show and title their dogs(GSD).And they also have the Panda.

You can read more on this.

http://www.pandashepherds.com/644124.html

No BYB here.

Like shannon,I to have a love for this breed.I grew up with them and have raised 3 of my own.This is a breed close to my heart.And a breed I know all to well about.

And yes,they have blue eyes.....;)

There are breeders who intentionally breed white GSDs and I believe there are many who do it responsibly

All the ones I know do....:)

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Why do you have to go and post those things here? Don't you know that advertising any breed is a bad idea? (Especially very special-looking ones...) If you love it, don't tell anybody about it.;) Next thing we know there will be teacup pandas. And pandipoos.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I have a question about sheps. What is the point of the back that slopes down? Is that a defect or is it supposed to be like that? I mean, you know how the back isn't level? I've seen some bad ones where the hiney was practically on the ground when the doggy was walking. What's that all about?

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Ummmm first off Prin,I only posted the pics for those to guess the breed.Since everyone likes to play the guessing game.And wanted to show that some Purebreds get mixed up with mutts.

It's no different then if I posted a Picard(yes it's a breed..:D ) or any other breed.Heck,some have posted pics on breeds that they have never heard of.

MANY breeds are posted on here...Pure or mixed..No different then your Jemma or Boo......:D

Also a bit of education and to prove that dogs with blue eyes doesn't mean there is Husky in them.......:p

Having a bad day today Prin....:D

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I was joking... Maybe I didn't put enough :D in there... Sorry if you're having a bad day. If you want, you can cut out the eyes of this pic and wear it as a mask...:D :D :D You could make grumbly noises and nobody would question you for it...:)

(BTW, Jemma's a husky lab. nanner nanner.:D )

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
No silly,I was asking if YOU were having a bad day......LOL

We won't go there about Jemma........:p

It's supposed to be like that...The show quality ones have it a bit lower then the working ones.It all has to do with the whole structure of the dog.Trons doesn't lower far to the ground.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 10:23 PM
But what benefit does it serve to the doggy?

(and I didn't realize I was crabby... I'll go put my mask on..)

mona_b
December 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM
It's hard to explaine it all...So this should help you understand it better....:)

http://www.workingdogs.com/lshaw1.htm

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 10:44 PM
That site seems to prefer the more square types... I concur.:)