Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone here suffer from Anxiety or Panic Disorder?

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Just curious if any of you on the board do..

I personally suffer from Panic Disorder.... I belevie i got it from my father, is were very bad when he was younger, as mine were.. But i have learned how to naturally control them, for the most part...

But recently, due to stresses at work and other things, I got a couple last week.. it was brutal.. since i havent had a full blown one for over 5 years it was really harsh...

Just curious ...

ps, for those of you who dont know, this is a good place to find out with it is http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/panic.html

Roxy's_MA
December 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I don't suffer now, but I have suffered from them. I started taking these new meds last summer, a side effect was the anxiety attack in the form of fear or terror. I had them for about a month, and they were horrible. I jump out of my seat for no reason (or for some really stupid reason), I would be jumpy while driving, and just get terrified for no reason......I really don't know how to explain the feeling, but it was a bad one.

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM
HAhaha thats what its like to have a panic disorder ;)

Get worked up for no particular reason, or something really stupid....

Good that your off those meds!!!! Jeez, i dont now how i would deal with that!!

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I had super anxiety growing up that eventually led to anorexia. After almost 5 years of therapy, I'm ok now. I didn't want meds for it because I always thought that treated the symptoms but not the problem and I wanted to be ok in the long term. I haven't had an anxiety attack in almost 2 years, I'd say. Now when I get anxious, I confront it head on and try to get to the bottom of it before it builds up. Anxiety attacks are horrible and I'd do anything to not have to go through another one.

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Prin : God same here.. i feel your pain....

Yknow its funny that you would say that it led to anorexia, I have a theory that panic attacks and disorders or whatever, all stem from being insecure.. Dont know if you feel the same way.. but seems like always when ig et them, its over something stupid that im insecure about or whatever....

As for the pills, i feel EXACTLY the same way as you do.. i WILL not take pills.. i had a friend who (they though, but i think otherwise) said she had bi-polar disorder.. so they gave her one of those drugs like zoloft or something and i felt like she was even more strange than before.... and like it didnt really help anything cause as soonas she got off of them, it would return...

My parents are herbalists so i tend to take herbal teas or BACH remedies when im feeling anxious, assuming i feel like its getting out of hand and i cant control it as much as id like...

babyrocky1
December 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Im actually having a panick attack right now, but Im on my medication. I still feel short of breath, but its starting to slow down. I dont usualy need to take anything but I always have to have them with me so I know I can control it. Im just completely overwhelmed right now and thats when it happens, Ill keep adding worry on top of worry and then, this. I was posting on the other thread that I had wrecked a portrait that is due soon, but I wrecked it by trying to work on it while I was feeling this way. Im sure Ive had more attacks since the Michael Bryant came on the scene ! i should se if I cn get him to reimburse me for the meds LOL Small claims court after the appeal LOL!

Roxy's_MA
December 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I actually still take the meds, but the side effects went away. The pills are to change the serotin level in the brain. I do fear that when I go off them the chemicals in my brain will start changing again, and I will have to through hell for another month.

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Baby rock: OOH NO!!!! Try to relax.. think of it as something that is going to come and then go as quickly... just gotta go through the motions..... I find that just doing osmething to keep my mind off it works sometimes... Cause its so true, as long as you sit there thinking about it, you make it worse...

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I think to get over it, you have to really look at your past and go through everything that makes you insecure or even feel strongly, even if you think it doesn't really affect anything anymore. Dealing with each panic attack as it comes doesn't help in the long run. It's like your cup is already full of stuff and then you, for example, wreck a portrait, and the cup overflows. You might be able to stop the overflow, but your cup is still full. You know what I mean?

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Roxy, try not to think about that or worry about it too much though.. cause sometimes that alone can make you start actauly getting it, i mean once you get off the pills.. The mind is so powerful sometimes....

babyrocky1
December 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I had super anxiety growing up that eventually led to anorexia. After almost 5 years of therapy, I'm ok now. I didn't want meds for it because I always thought that treated the symptoms but not the problem and I wanted to be ok in the long term. I haven't had an anxiety attack in almost 2 years, I'd say. Now when I get anxious, I confront it head on and try to get to the bottom of it before it builds up. Anxiety attacks are horrible and I'd do anything to not have to go through another one. Back when I was a teen and in my early twentys, I dont think there was a name for anxiety and panick attacks, if there was I had never heard of it, but, looking back I now, I suffered from it then ,and also looking back I believe I was border line anorexic. I look at pictures of myself and it freaks me right out. I look like Im ready to keel over, I remeber weighing less than 100 lbs at five five, and at one point, after breaking up with my husband I was less than ninty. I never really linked the two though, not til now anyway.

badger
December 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I have a friend with an anxiety disorder and it has really played havoc with her life. She is unable to work and disability is barely enough to live on. No luck finding a good therapist either, or at least one that is covered by the provincial health plan; waiting lists are endless. Medication only exacerbates the symptoms. Unless you are having a heart attack or some other crisis, good medical care is at a premium in Quebec. If you have a good GP, hang onto them for dear life!

I have heard that cognitive therapy is useful for anxiety disorders. If you google it, there's a raft of info on the net.

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Prin, i totally know what your saying...

I think tahts why i havent got one for so long.. i feel pretty good that ive dealt with most things.. but the difference with me is that, i think i will be always prone to get them, when stuff gets bad.. meaning.. my father had them, as well as other family members so i know im kinda "predisposed" to getting them.. but like in cases like recently.. my brain was so messed over working SOO many hours the past 7 months(like a month and maybe one day off) and on top of it, i started doing excersise, like weights and stuff, and i think my body just kinda freaked out.. too much for it..

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Im actually having a panick attack right now, but Im on my medication. I still feel short of breath, but its starting to slow down. I dont usualy need to take anything but I always have to have them with me so I know I can control it. Im just completely overwhelmed right now and thats when it happens, Ill keep adding worry on top of worry and then, this. I was posting on the other thread that I had wrecked a portrait that is due soon, but I wrecked it by trying to work on it while I was feeling this way. Im sure Ive had more attacks since the Michael Bryant came on the scene ! i should se if I cn get him to reimburse me for the meds LOL Small claims court after the appeal LOL!Big dairy cows work for me... You know when you're thinking about stuff and your mind goes all over the place and it just keeps going and going? Dairy cows don't go anywhere. The Canadian ones are so well treated, they just stand there all day with the wind blowing and the grass all around...

babyrocky1
December 7th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Baby rock: OOH NO!!!! Try to relax.. think of it as something that is going to come and then go as quickly... just gotta go through the motions..... I find that just doing osmething to keep my mind off it works sometimes... Cause its so true, as long as you sit there thinking about it, you make it worse... I do know that, and can usually ride it out or exercise it away. sometimes it sneaks up on me though, thats how it got me while I was workiing and how I wrecked the portrait. I dont usually take something to stop it but tonight I had to make an exception cause Ive been having them often enough that its wearing me down. Honestly the p bull thing has been a huge contributer, its always there and then the rest starts adding up and there you go.

Puppyluv
December 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I do, as does my mom, which makes me think there is a genetic basis to it. Except mine is a little more social-anxiety disorder. Still sucks though.:(

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Wow.. im really surprisd so many people suffer from this?...

I always thought i was (sorry gonan get cheesy here) relatively alone in this.. or at least wouldnt come across many people who have this...

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 05:47 PM
But Puppyluv, you're so cool...:confused:

Puppyluv
December 7th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Aww thanks Prin :)
It's kind of odd that way... people you wouldn't think are affected are. Also, while I think there is a genetic base to it, I also think that life experience has made it worse(unfortunately)

babyrocky1
December 7th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Aww thanks Prin :)
It's kind of odd that way... people you wouldn't think are affected are. Also, while I think there is a genetic base to it, I also think that life experience has made it worse(unfortunately) Im sure theres a genetic base to it, my whole family has something or other to do with an anxiety disorder. I guess it could be a nature or nurture thing to though as we were all raised by the same nuerotic parents...! Ive been reconnecting with my sister lately and I find that she understands my "triggers" the way no one else can, even though she is younger than I am she remembers our child hood better, I think of it more as a deep grey haze...but its really great to tallk to her cause she can figure out were some of my anxiety is comiing from and then once I understand it, it helps me to deal with it. Oh, she has lived in England for about twenty years, this year she has visited and has a free long distance deal so we talk all the time, its been great!