Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

any sugestions.

H.M.Brownell
December 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Hello, our 3.5 month old puppy just ate a whole advent calender full of chocolate within the last 3 hours. Does anyone have any sugestions on what I could do, without taking her to the vet.

BMDLuver
December 7th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Advent calendars are full of milk chocolate which is lower in cocoa than say bakers chocolate. Watch for vomitting or lethargy or any unusual behaviour... also stools may be a bit loose as a result... if anything does not appear right, head to the vet's office.

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I would head to the vet. Being a puppy, even a small amount of chocolate can kill her. Is saving a buck really worth that risk?

K9Friend
December 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I would head to the vet. Being a puppy, even a small amount of chocolate can kill her. Is saving a buck really worth that risk?

I agree. Better safe than sorry.
Keep us posted.:(

jawert1
December 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I guess I'm confused, chocolate is generally extremely bad for dogs, your puppy ate a large quantity and you're asking us not to suggest taking it to the vets??

Lucky Rescue
December 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM
your puppy ate a large quantity and you're asking us not to suggest taking it to the vets??

I'm very confused too.Why don't you want to take her to the vet??

A large quantity of chocolate eaten by a small puppy can be lethal.

At the very least, call the vet and tell them the facts.

H.M.Brownell
December 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM
well, I wanted to take her to the vet and get checked out, however they wanted $100 which we don't have to spare right now as I'm sure not everyone does. Anyways, they said they need to induce vomiting. So how great the web is I found this site http://www.doctordog.com and there was ways to induce vomiting. I followed one of the ways and a few hours later she vomited out alot. Today she is fine, no different in energy level than any other day. Thanks all for your comments

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM
this is a good time to remind everyone... keep an emergency fund of $ available at all times for your pets... you never know when it could be the difference between life or death for your pet!

scrape up spare change, give yourself a monthly allowance, have one cup of coffee less per day if you drink a lot, there are hundreds of ways to get $$ together and keep in an envelope for that time when you will really need it for an emergency vet visit.

:angel:

Melinda
December 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM
your puppy should be fine, if you read the ingredients of the advent calendar, you'll see it's a very cheap version of chocolate,there isn't enough cocoa in there to worry about, she will end up with the runs more than likely, if you add up the quantity you'll also see it only equals about 1/2 a chocolate bar. That happened to us a few years back, I DID go to the vets and he said not to worry so much, as long as she's eating well and drinking lots. Just keep an eye on her...if she does start acting funny, take her in. I did.

SunGurl372
December 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Also a good reminder about the value of pet insurance! Small amount out of pocket each month now may give you the ability to save your animal's life later on!

I'm sure many people here can attest that $100 is often just a drop in the bucket when your beloved pet gets sick.

jawert1
December 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear she's ok :)

Rottielover
December 8th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I do not have an emergency fund, My I have one heck of a great rapport with my vet, we already spoke about what would happen need be. We are ok

lizk729
December 8th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Im glad to hear your puppy is OK.:) We dont have extra money for back up with vet visits either. Hey we have children that we dont have extra money for emergencys. I think most people live paycheck to paycheck and we do the best we can. The one thing I LOVE about my vets office is that you can call and go from there. They will give you whatever advice you need over the phone but if they think they need you to come in they will tell you but if its something thats not neccesary for them to see you they help you all they can over the phone.:)
Liz

technodoll
December 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM
all i know is that around montreal, if you need an emergency vet (think 911 call!) because your normal vet office is closed, if you don't have cash or a credit card - they will not even look at your dog/ cat. they will tell you "sorry, we can't help you". it's insane but it's the way it is... :sick:

CyberKitten
December 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I'm glad your puppy is OK. I too think everyone needs an emergency fund for our pets' health care - it is an important consideration when deciding to adopt a pet. Can I afford vet care? I used to have pet insurance but that covered so little - not the basic stuff - and it was easier to invest into a trust for each pet. Thus, I'd have my own insurance account. Vet care is an essential expense - it is not something we can opt NOT to have.
'

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 07:14 PM
your puppy should be fine, if you read the ingredients of the advent calendar, you'll see it's a very cheap version of chocolate,there isn't enough cocoa in there to worry about, Hey! Don't assume that! My advent calendar is a Lindt calendar. (I'm not really offended, I just wanted to brag...:D )