Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

extra toenail

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
last night as i was searching for fleas (i just posted about this in another forum) i noticed what look like some dryed dirt in the hair on dakota's back right foot. i looked closer and realized that it was a toenail. there is no toe there but there is a toenail. its not normal sized. its smaller and thinner than the rest. i can see where it is attached to the skin. is this something i should be concerned about. she doesnt lick at it or even act like she knows its there. should it be removed?

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
i accidentally posted this in the breed section so if someone would like to delete it or close it id appreciate it. thanks!

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Is it the thumb? Is it a couple of inches up on the leg from the foot? Does she only have one? Can you cut the nail easily? Does it hang out far from the leg? All these questions to say that if you can cut the nail so that it will never get infected (from growing too long and curling around) and it doesn't hang out too far such that it will get ripped off in the snow, then it should be ok.