Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to deal with fleas?

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
when i adopted dakota she was covered in fleas. she was too young to be washed in a flea shampoo so i washed her with ivory dish soap (this is what i was told to do). i also flea comb her often and distroyed the fleas. the fleas seemed to be so much better for a while. recently a both a flea shampoo since she is old enough for it now and i gave her a bath with it. now the fleas are worse. i dont understand....and the fleas are huge. ive never seen fleas so big in my life. any advice?

papillonmama
December 7th, 2005, 02:31 PM
It can take a couple flea baths before the problem is solved. The first will usually kill the actual fleas, then the next one to kill any eggs. The bath is not the finish of the treatment though, vaccuum everywhere, put your linen, the dogs bed, and essentially anything that you can't vacuum into a hot dryer. If you can't dry some things, you will most likely have to invest in some flea killing spray that you can use around the house.
Ticks are much larger than fleas, but fleas, left unchecked can get pretty big too.
Good luck!:fingerscr

K9Friend
December 7th, 2005, 04:43 PM
The bath is not the finish of the treatment though, vaccuum everywhere, put your linen, the dogs bed, and essentially anything that you can't vacuum into a hot dryer. If you can't dry some things, you will most likely have to invest in some flea killing spray that you can use around the house.

along with advice above - vacuum daily for at least two weeks and throw away the vacuum bag after each use! same for linen & dogs bed. It's a battle but you'll get there eventually. Good Luck! :thumbs up

SunGurl372
December 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I don't know where you are located in North Carolina, but I'm in northern Florida, and in some places the climates in the two states are pretty similar. I have to keep my dog on a topical flea medicine year round.

For vacuuming, I've also heard that its a good idea to buy a flea collar and put in the bag of your vacuum. This will kill fleas as you vacuum them up and reduce the number of bag changes required.

If the fleas are really bad, you may want to talk to your vet about treatment options for your home. My dog has flea allergies, so it's critical to remove them from the environment. He prescribed a flea treatment powder for the house. Basically, you spread it on the carpets and use a broom to "sweep" it in to the fabric, work it in to the crevices of your furniture, etc. I can't remember the name of it, the tub is at home.

I got lucky, and after treating Harley with the topical meds, never needed to use the powder. Guess they were on her and not really in the house.