Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

uncontrolable barking and whining last night

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM
i didnt sleep at all last night. dakota barked and whined the whole night. she's never done this before. she usually does it for a little while when i first crate her and then in the morning when she is ready to get out but she has never done like this before. after i couldnt take it anymore i got up and let her out. poor thing had to poo. so after she used the bathroom i figured she would fine. wrong!!! she went back in her crate and i went back to bed and she started up again. i'm hoping this is not going to become a usual thing. anyone have any advice or ideas for me? thanks!

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Not to get personal, but was anything strange happening within the family sitiuation lately?

Dogs are very keen to stresses in the household... both my dogs would do similar things in those situations.. just a thought

Mrs Bungle
December 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Ooh and i mean, even if your super stressed and stuff unrelating to anything form WITHIN the household...

ive been suffering from panic attacks recently and scruffy just jumps all over me and gets very kinda nervous becuase of it...

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 01:59 PM
no nothing has been different

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
are you ignoring her when she is doing it. Because if you give in to her, expect it to be an everyday thing. Cry out/ whine attention...you get the poing. Invest in ear plugs. Wait it out When she stops to take a break, and silence then let her out

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
i tried to ignore it for the longest time but i couldnt take it any more. i know that i should give in to her but it is so aggrevating. yeah i guess i should get earplugs.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Do you have a kong. If so freeze peanut butter with a couple cookies in it, then give it to her when she is in her crate.

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM
cookies? what kind? put the cookies in the peanut butter?

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 02:21 PM
yup, stuff the kong full of peanut butter, then stuff with cookies, then freeze, then serve

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
what kind of cookies? like treats?

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
do i freeze it before i give it to her?

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 02:34 PM
stuff the kong then stick it in the freezer. after it is frozen, then give to her

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM
but what kind of cookies? i'm not sure i know what you mean by "cookies."

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
any kind of dog cookies, whatever she likes

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
You could even use kibble if she likes hers at all... You can crush whatever it is up in the peanut butter.

Also, if you exercise her more a little bit before bed time, she might be more tired and have no choice but to pass out.:)

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 06:03 PM
here's the problem with exercise before bed time. my boyfriend and i live together and he works nights from 4pm to 1am. when he gets home we eat supper. yeah late for supper i know. then we got to bed anytime between 3am-5am. we get up around 12pm. i guess i could still carry her for a walk before we go to bed.

then there's another issue. she wont walk on a leash. she burries her feet into the ground and i end up pulling her. its really embarassing when she goes with me to petsmart. she usually ends up riding in the cart.

so i guess i need to know when the best time to exercise her would be so she would sleep at night (or in my case the early morning) and what do i need to do about her walking on a leash?

maddoxies
December 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
If it only happened last night, maybe there was an external reason, maybe a critter prowling around. It is getting cooler everywhere now at night, maybe something was out there looking for a nice place to sleep.

As for exercise, it does not need to be outdoors. Chasing ball or playing indoors will tire Dakota as well. My handicapped dachshund can not go out for walks, so we have to find indoor exercise for her. (our sidewalks are so bad here that she tips over in her cart outside.)

Good luck, hopefully this was a one time event

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hmmm.... I don't know how to teach a dog to walk on a leash... I know how to teach a dog to heel, but not to like walking while on a leash... I know somebody has asked how before in the training forum. Maybe leave the leash on in the house while you're home so she gets used to it?

papillonmama
December 7th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Start out by practicing on a longer leash, give her space to learn that she can have a bit of freedom. Trigs was the same way when he was little, but you can't give in, imagine how silly you will look when she's 50 lbs and you're carrying her around!:eek: It's a tough thing to get them used to, praise is important for the little steps, she will get used to the leash, use it all the time, even when it's just a little pee in the yard, then when she's used to it enough to use it all the time, that's when you give her the unleashed time. Play ball or whatever her game is on it, let her know that the leash isn't such a bad thing, in fact, it's a great thing, cause she gets yummy doggy treats when she's using it well! Praise often.
Puppies, like kids, need naps, a regular time to sleep, eat, and exercise. And they are prone to haviing fits when their needs are not met on a regular basis. JMHO, I think your pup will do better if you work out a schedule for her, even if you schedule it around your hectic life, at least there's some structure to it, at least until she's a bit older and she's used to hustle and bustle, and can sleep through anything, like my little lump-on-a-log!

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 10:25 PM
You should really get her enrolled in a training progam. It doesn't matter if your day is switched around from a normal day because she will adjust. As for anything that has changed in your household over the last few days it could be something simple that you may not have thought about like a visitor or slight change in your schedule.
It is best to have regular exercise and enough of it. Not getting enough can cause many behaviour problems with sleep, destruction, barking, etc. If she is running laps in your home it is a clear indicator that she isn't getting enough. Walking is great for keeping her in shape and helping with proper growth but isn't very good with trying to tire her. Make sure she doesn't nap at all in the last 4 hrs or so before bed time and a good play and walk in the last hour before bed is good for her last bit of daily exercise. It shouldn't be the only exercise for the day.
You will learn what her different sounds are. You will have 2 that you need to know at bed time. One that means I need to go to the washroom and one that means I just want out of here. Only respond to the washroom one. When you do, do it quietly. Take her out to the washroom and then place hr back in the crate w/o saying very much. You don't want her to think it is for fun and games. Ignore the I want out. If you respond to this it will continue forever and it only takes one time for her to figure out that when she carries on you will let her out. In her room play talk radio, make sure that she can't hear what is going on outside and no light is allowed into the room. Remember she is sleeping when there is activity going on outside.
How old is she now. There may be other things going on with her like adolescence.

heather331
December 8th, 2005, 12:09 AM
she is about 15 weeks now. there hasnt been anything different going on with us but there are a few mice running around in the house that i know of. maybe thats what the problem is. thanks for your suggestions. i thought about putting her crate in the bedroom with us. it might help to comfort her some...but this may be a bad idea. i also think that the crate being in the bedroom ill be able to hear when she wakes up and then i can carry her out to potty and then she wont mess up in her crate. she pees in her crate sometime but she doesnt poop. i think that she just isnt old enough to hold her pee the whole time she is in the crate. if i have it in the room i will hear her when she wakes up and i can carry her out. what do you think about this?

StaceyB
December 8th, 2005, 06:08 AM
If she hasn't been in your room yet I wouldn't start. Place her crate in an area that is close enough for you to hear her but not close enough that you moving around in bed is waking her. How big is her crate in comparrison to her. If the crate is too big or she has been left in it too long she will have accidents. She should have enough room to stand up, turn around and lay down, that's it.
I would really get her enrolled in puppy class.