Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

thinning fur above eyes

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi there, as most of you guys know, I just recently adopted a cat. He is amazing. He has a scartch above one eye, and missing fur, and just thinning fur around the other. I cleaned it, and put polysporin on it. Does anyone think this may be from stress, or a fight before coming home. It is NOT ringworm...

Roxy's_MA
December 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
My cat has very thin fur above her eyes kind of leading up to her ears. She has always had thin fur there. Are you sure your new guy is losing hair or he just has thin hair.

You can really see her bald spot in this pic.

jessi76
December 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
both of my cats have the same thin-fur area right there - above the eye, leading up to the ear. it's normal.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
but is it normal to be pink, and alittle irritated. Do they scratch to to point it bleeds ???? Tigger has one side that has a mild scratch, and it bled yesterday. His is really thin, alot thinner than your cat Roxy

Roxy's_MA
December 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I would say no it isn't normal for it to be bugging him so much. Maybe he has an allergy of some sort. I can definatly see him scratching the side that has the scratch on it, but I am not sure why he would scratch the other side.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
the other side he does not scratch, just very thin. He does not scratch often. We just switched his food from crappy vet diet to California natural. He loves it. When I get my pics of cd, I will post it. It is not all red, and sore, just that 1 scratch.

Roxy's_MA
December 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
He may just have a bit thinner hair on top. I noticed KC's is much thinner than it used to be. She is nine years now. Also to explain my above pic a bit better. She is completly grey on the one side. The orangy pink spot is her skin under her fur. I am not sure why some cat are more bald at the spot than others. My other cat Smokey does not have these bald spot near as bad as KC (actually you can barley tell his hair is thinner above the eyes.). As long as they don't bug him I wouldn't worry to much. As for the scratch, once it clears up he will probably leave the area alone.

Tigger, right? If he is orange and white chances are his skin is more pink, which would make the spots more noticable.

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
both of my cats as well as my mom's cat has those bald spots leading from her eyes to her ears. Luna's has gotten scabbie before. i think she was just scratching cause it itch and may have broken the skin. then a scab formed and as it healed it began to itch so she scratched it more. it eventually just went away. tigger? is it more of a sratch or little scabs?

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM
a scratch. Think he did it to him self. I am putting polysporin on it to heal. Take it from there

heather331
December 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM
im not sure then. i dont have any experience with anything that looks like a scratch, but it sounds like you are doing everything you should be. i would just keep putting the ointment on it and it should clear up. as for the thinning hair, i think that is normal.