Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feedings...

sjat24
December 7th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Hubby and I had just switch to feeding Raven 2 times a day (1 1/2cup each)and it has been a week. She seems to want more and constanly wants bug us when we eat (we do not feed her our food)!! I feel bad.....should I feel bad?
Even when we fed her 3x a day, she still wants more.

cpietra16
December 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Winnie, my lab has had her feedings changed from one feeding a day (4cups) to two feedings (1cup/ 2cups). She needs to lose weight. I use to feel guilty when she would just stare at me when I ate, so I would give her some...now we are both paying the price. She is overweight and I have to put up with her staring and staring and staring. She could stare at me eat for hours. Talk about feeling guilty.:( Please don't give in to the begging because its hard to keep a dog on a diet.

mona_b
December 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Maybe what you can do it feed a bit more.Say 2-2 1/2 cups instead of 1 1/2...You say that even feeding her 3xs with this amount she still wants more.1 1/2 cups may not be enough for her.Try that and see what happens.

Tron is 9 years old and still gets fed 3xs a day.He gets both canned and dry.The can he gets 3xs a day and the dry is left out for him to snack on.He is not a hoover so the dry does last.And he is not overweight.

Some dogs need a bit more to fill their tummy.Looks like Raven is one of them..:)

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM
You may be off just a bit with each feeding which would make her hungry even after she has had a meal. Labs can easily put on the pounds so you have to be careful. How much was she getting when you fed her 3 times a day. You will need to add that meal to the other two.

I'll give you an example. I had a golden in class that seemed to be hungry all the time. It turns out that they were off by 1/4 cup a day and once they figured this out all was fine. The recommendation on the bag is only a guideline. Depending on how much exercise she gets, what food she is eating, etc. She may need a little more or less but it should be fairly close to what the bag says.

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 11:06 AM
LOL She's a lab, right? A "normal" Lab is ALWAYS starving. Soo many of them end up fat because the owners cave in (our old yellow had a 5lb fatty tumor removed... It was like a pouch of guilt...) In my opinion, if you want a healthy, fit doggy, you have to learn not to feel guilty..;)