Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccines for Humans...

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 12:38 AM
With all the talk about doggy vaccines, it got me thinking... I haven't had a vaccine in at least 12 years... Well, I had Hep B in school (it was free) but I didn't get the 3rd one, so it's pretty useless.

How often do adults need vaccines? Which ones? Does anybody know?

Cinnabear
December 7th, 2005, 12:59 AM
The one I get is the tetanus shot and it's good for 10 years. Basically the other ones to get would be when your going abroad. Or if your immune system is very low.

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 01:53 AM
What about Polio or meningitis?

CyberKitten
December 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Prin, we had this conversation before- remember?? Tho I forget what I told you, lol - other than I get regualr vaccines because of my work overseas. I use the Health Canada recommentions - as do many of my collegaues.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/236_e.html
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/prof_e.html

I do recall telling you that our childhood immunizations only last for a certain period and we really should update tho few of us do. I do but I am not sure if I would if I did not work in the health care field, esp overseas. A recent study showed most Canadian adults are woerfully lacking in some vaccines, esp diptheria which we all assume to be reardicated from North America. To make it short, the td series (tetnas and diptheria) should be repeated everyten yrs by every adult - anything less gives the country a false sense of scurity, I know many adults do not keep up with immunizations so a diptheria outbreak here could be a disaster (never mind anthrax!)

Here is the immunization schedule for adults I scanned from a poster I have:

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
We talked about tetanus when I got attacked by a tree, but I don't remember any others.:o
What about meningitis?
What's MMR?

jiorji
December 7th, 2005, 07:22 PM
We talked about tetanus when I got attacked by a tree

:eek:
you got attacked by a tree????????? they should be banned!

I don't like getting shots. I don't particularly like needles :o
then again i don't remember the last time i went to a doctor.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 07:30 PM
That tree was probably mistreated, tied up all day, people probably barked at too (get it ha ha). 98% of trees are actually really nice. Its no wonder the tree attacked Prin, he was just reaching out to her, he just wanted some understanding.

I think I might be due for a tetanus shot soon too, hopefully I wont step on a rusty nail. :D

Puppyluv
December 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM
They only seem to vaccinate meningitis when someone gets it. When I was in highschool, a girl in Edmonton got it, so the province went crazy and vaccinated us all. They only last for about 3-5 years though.
I'm highly vaccinated due to provincial programs, early childhood illnesses, and then South American/East Asian travel. (A proud needle pumper since age 3 :p )
A lot of controversy these days over wether children should be vaccinated... but unless you have an albumin (or other applicable) allergy, I'm all for them.

Puppyluv
December 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
What's MMR?

Measles Mumps and Rubella (German Measles)
A doozy triple crown :D

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Ahhh... That MMR... :o :D

And no, this tree wasn't mistreated. He just attacked me out of nowhere. His bark was all slippery and then this thorny branchy protrusion came out of nowhere and sliced and diced my finger up.:mad: They should be banned. TSL! TSL! TSL!

jiorji
December 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Ahhh... That :mad: They should be banned. TSL! TSL! TSL!

oh goodness....what have i started?:eek:

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 11:34 PM
TSL!! TSL!! Woooo! People don't get attacked for a reason. They only get attacked by psycho trees with killer fighting genes!

mafiaprincess
December 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
They are looking into wanting to revaccinate adults for whooping cough, but are still studying it. More and more adults are catching it, yet we were all vaccinated as children. But, currently they are still looking into it, and it isn't deemed to be needed, yet.

jessi76
December 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Measles Mumps and Rubella (German Measles)
A doozy triple crown :D

I actually got the measels shortly after getting the MMR vac when I was young.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that can happen when the virus in the vaccine is "modified live". They kill it just enough so that it's still barely alive but easily killed by your immune system, but if your immune system isn't strong enough, you get the virus.

Roxy's_MA
December 8th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Ruebella shot is very important if you are a woman and plan on having children My cousin was never vaccinated, and her son was born with german measels. He was a very sick boy, and sadly only made it to 6 months:sad:

jiorji
December 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
but if your immune system isn't strong enough, you get the virus.

well I personally think that your immune system weakens with all the shots they advertise. I mean i out of 4 commercials is about some drug or some disease and they try to scare people into getting checked up or buying the pill. Personally I think it's a marketing strategy.

Notice how many pill commercials they have and at the end you think "hmm I wonder what it really does for you or what it protects you against" It just says consult your physician then they list a bunch of things like "if you're pregnant or suffer from this and that it's best you not use it.
I find that confusing. And if a pill is confusing, then it's best not take it. Problem solved. lol

Commercials like that are just leading society on a road of over the counter drug addicts. You don't know why to take it but you do anyways in fear you MIGHT get sick. But the government makes money.

I STILL think SARS was a commercial plot that backfired on them hehe :evil:

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Ruebella shot is very important if you are a woman and plan on having children My cousin was never vaccinated, and her son was born with german measels. He was a very sick boy, and sadly only made it to 6 months:sad:
That's so sad! :( I'm so sorry for your cousin. Something to think about though, for sure.

Jiorji, there's actually a law in Canada that says the drug companies can advertise prescription pills but they can't say what they're for... In the states it's a problem because people will convince themselves that they need a certain pill they saw on tv and change doctors until they find one who will give it to them. Most, if not all of the drug companies spend more annually on ads than on research. :rolleyes:

But vaccines fall in a different category. Other than the flu shot, vaccines aren't advertised generally.