Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone have a swimming pool

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 6th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I am just curious we are planning to do rennovations to our house and we are thinking of adding a pool to our backyard. I am curious if anyone here has built one. How much we can expect to spend and what to be cautious about?
We would prefer it be inground but if it is way too expensive we would also consider putting it above ground. We would want it to be about 4 1/2 feet deep. We are thinking of not putting in a heating system and just using a pump as the summers here are pretty hot.
Also it is okay for our dog to swim in the pool or would it be too harsh on his skin, could we go easy on the clorine just for him.

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I don't have a pool or any real knowledge of pools ... but with your kids around, I'd buy that alarm thingy that rings when the water is disturbed...;)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
yes we are definately getting an alarm.

raingirl
December 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I had a pool all my life growing up. It was above ground, about 4.5 feet deep.

Pools are a lot of work. At least an hour a day in maintenance, or more, depending on how often you use it.

Above Ground pools can be installed by yourself, and bought as a kit. My grandfather put ours together in 1990 at my parents house, and when they sold the house this year it was still standing and in great shape. The only problem with above ground pools is you need to decide if you will build a deck around it. Otherwise, you have to get one or more ladders for people to get in, and kids have a tendancy to want to sit on the edges which can ruin the pool unless you build a deck. Also, with above ground pools, you can't push off the sides or you risk breaking it. Also, unless you build a deck around it, your dog won't be able to go in.

http://www.northwestwholesale.com/Images-index/above%20ground%20pool.jpg

THere are also those "flexible" pools on the market now. If I was getting a pool and only wanted it to be waste deep, I would get one of those. Just large enough to relax and cool off, but the ability to pack it up and put away at the end of the season.

http://www.backyardcitypools.com/images/RIN/InflatablePool2003large.jpg

If you have the money, I would go with an inground concrete poured pool, or a tile pool. No liners that will rip, which can happen with dogs. Basically, the builders dig a mold, and fill it withconcrete, and that's it. Very easy, but probably the most expensive. You will also have trouble finding somewhere that will put an inground pool in that is only 4.5 feet deep.

Now...as for chlorine. If you can afford it, SERIOUSLY look into getting a salt water pool. don't worry, it's not the same as say...ocean salt water. I won't even try to explain it, so here is a link:

http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-school/salt_pools.shtml

Chlorine is a greenhouse gas when it evaporates from pools, and ruins the environment. Salt water pools are cleaner, more environmentally friendly, and cheaper in the long run, once you have the equipment.

Also, with above ground and flexible pools, you may not be able to get a creapy crawly (vacume that works on it's own) and will have to vacume it daily on your own.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks raingirl. I would prefer inground but again it depends on how pricey. When we were in Puerto Vallarta the pools were all about 4 1/2 to five feet deep, and kids pool was about 31/2 feet deep. That gave me the idea to not have it too deep. Unless you'll be diving in which we wont.

If we had an above ground pool we would definately put a deck around it. I didnt realise you couldnt push off from the sides from one. That could be a problem as I automatically do that in a pool. My friend has a salt water pool I will ask her how she likes it, at least that would stop my kids from drinking the pool water, :D

My parents had an indoor pool growing up, I remember helping them clean and vacuum it it was probably less maintenance than an outdoor pool.

An hour a day seems like a lot though, I'll have to hire a handsome pool man to come and do the job. :D

maddoxies
December 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM
As an accountant, keep in mind that an inground pool will need a building permit. Therefore the city knows about it and your property tax will go up as it is a permanent improvement.

Above ground pools are not considered permanent, so they don't affect your property taxes.

My neighbours have an incredibly large/long above ground pool. It is kinda neat, being all one depth, they can play water volleyball, etc.

When is the pool party ???? :party:

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM
As an accountant, keep in mind that an inground pool will need a building permit. Therefore the city knows about it and your property tax will go up as it is a permanent improvement.

Above ground pools are not considered permanent, so they don't affect your property taxes.

My neighbours have an incredibly large/long above ground pool. It is kinda neat, being all one depth, they can play water volleyball, etc.

When is the pool party ???? :party:

As a municipal employee who writes by-laws governing among other things, pool permits, most townships in Ontario anyway, require 5 foot fencing around any pool, be it swimming or otherwise that can contain more than 2 feet of water. Call your township and ask if and when permits are required, and what kind of fencing is needed (you can probably get on-pool fencing for an above ground pool)

The net result of the addition of a pool to your tax bill is quite minimal and not nearly as important as preventing someone from getting hurt.

Do not trust your kids safety to an alarm, fence the pool and keep it locked, its the only way to limit liability should someone drown.

That said, I had an above ground pool when I was a kid. It was 4 ft on the side, 5 ft deep in the middle. It was great and wasn't really that much work... There weren't really any trees around so Mom cleaned it once a week but added the chemical stuff as often as needed. Her dog is a golden, and we taugh him how to climb ladders so he could get up ont he deck, the climb the ladder down into the water and climb the ladder to get back out again. He never once tore the linner and Mom reduced the chlorine to stop his skin from drying out.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Pet friendly

As a municipal employee who writes by-laws governing among other things, pool permits, most townships in Ontario anyway, require 5 foot fencing around any pool, be it swimming or otherwise that can contain more than 2 feet of water. Call your township and ask if and when permits are required, and what kind of fencing is needed (you can probably get on-pool fencing for an above ground pool)

our yard is fenced with a five foot fence on the back and six feet on the sides. Do we need a fence around the pool too. I would get a cover and an alarm. My kids are five and seven now, so less of a chance of them falling in. Of course they would never be allowed in the pool without me or my husband

Also I think it may raise the value of our house (hopefully) as I would like to sell in a few years too and hopefully upgrade a little too, so I am thinking of it as an investment too.

CyberKitten
December 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I have an inground in house pool - used to have an in ground one outside but the work for to be too much (taking out leaves, vacuuming - and my back could not take it so the exercise I got from doing laps was not worth it). I prefer the indoor one - which is attached to my home via a bubble like structure. No leaves and less algae to worry about!!

An outdoor pool is a lot of work but it can be very nice when it is 29C outside and I love looking at water - even tho I look out over the water to start with, lol Our municipal regulations required a 6 foot fence - mine was higher. I felt I had to set a good example. You have to make sure that any children you allow in your pool (incl your own are supervised and can swim). I also keep up with CPR - have to anyway, lol - but I honestly believe anyone with a pool should make sure they know it. Some ppl like the kreepy krawlies (the machines that suck in algae et al so you do not have to vacuum so often). I did not nvest in one and I did test the PH every day. Occasionally, the pump had a very few problems - keep in mind I had my pool for a long time, almost since I began working, - it is great exercise for my back and I love tp swim. Plus, my parents had one as well.

It does add to the value of your home - on the positive side - and if you like to swim, it's a great bonus.

Beaglemom
December 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I don't have a pool, but I do know a little bit about pools being that I'm in the construction business. Building an inground pool can be quite pricey. You will need to get the ground dug up and concrete poured not to mention tile surround and then there is the landscaping that goes around the pool area (decking and fencing). You need to also think about pumps, water heaters, etc. The cost of an inground pool can easily escalade past the $30,000 mark. You will need permits and you will require inspections to make sure everything is to code. You will also need all the safety equipment required by code to be by a pool (stairs, life buoys, ropes, etc).

Don't forget the running costs of the pool. It requires electricity to keep those pumps and heater going. The yearly maintenance can also cost quite a bit. Don't forget your water bill. All of these add up and can get quite high depending on your pool and its equipment.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Cyberkitten It does add to the value of your home - on the positive side - and if you like to swim, it's a great bonus.

I love to swim I just havent been lately, I hate going to the rec centre too, its usually so crowded there. I swam everyday in Mexico Of course dodging all the people standing in the pool with their Cervesas, Margaritas and ciggarettes in their hands . I used to be a really good swimmer, and I think I still am, but I havent used those muscles in a while.
Also my kids keep failing their swimming lessons, I think if I could get in the pool with them and encourage them to put their faces in the water, then they might finally learn how to swim on their own. They will swim with a life jacket or water wings no problem.
We would probably get just a small pool, nothing spectacular, but big enough to swim some lengths in. I would like to add a swim up bar like they have in Mexico with the concrete bar stools, but that would probably jack up the price right up I am sure. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I forgot to mention I was thinking of having it not heated and just having a pump. It gets to about 35 plus degrees here in the summer. The pools werent heated in Mexico it was about 20 to 30 there. They were colder in the morning and warmed up pretty good by the afternoon. Also our backyard gets the afternoon sun and it gets very hot out their by about 1 or 2 oclock.

les
December 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM
My bf and I bought our house just over a year ago and it has an inground pool. When we went to open it in the early summer we found out the pipes had cracked in the winter and it was a REAL mess!!

After it was all said and done .... new liner, new pipes, new pump and all the labour involved it was around $18,000 - that was basically a new pool minus the hole. (Our pool is a really big strange size - 18 feet by 36 feet with a 8 foot deep end)

We got the salt water system and it's GREAT!! I have really fair skin and it's irritated easily by chlorine. (I also heard that most pools down south are on the salt water system - because the cost and the work is so much smaller)

Basically how they described the "salt" to us is ... less salt then what tap water has in it. So your sons might drink MORE!! LOL

I also let my dogs go into it (had stairs put in for them!) My lab loved it and was in it every time she went outside!! :eek: I just made sure to towel her off afterwards but she didn't get dry skin or anything - - in fact it seemed to clean up her ears! (she gets yeast infections in them)

The salt system is hardly any work - - they put the salt machine reader thing in the pool house and once you get it going you just have to check the machine once/twice a day and it will be flashing ... add salt .. if you need to add it and you just dump it into the pool! Even I could do it!! ;)

The hardest job for me was making sure Jersey didn't sink one of us while we were in it!!

If you have any other pool questions let me know - - I probably forgot to add something :)

Also wanted to add - - it may bring up the value of your home but it also can make it more difficult to sell. Our house was on the market for over a year - they said most young couples with small children don't want the trouble of a pool.

http://www.slipperyhand.com/pool.jpg

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM
our yard is fenced with a five foot fence on the back and six feet on the sides. Do we need a fence around the pool too. .

it depends on your local government, the number is in the blue pages, look for municipal (or equivalent) and then permits.

I would get a cover and an alarm. .

Human error happens, at the worst time usually, not that your a bad parent, but accidents happen, those things are good, only if used reliably 100% of the time... A fair number of people who are appling for pool permits have double fences (fence off back portion of yard for the poll for example), with a single gate between the two areas that is self closing and latching.

My kids are five and seven now, so less of a chance of them falling in. Of course they would never be allowed in the pool without me or my husband .

make sure the rules are clear, and that the kids can swim and know basic first aid and cpr.

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
because kids will be kids, don't ya know ;)

sorry if that sounded lecture like... :eek:

mafiaprincess
December 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
We have an above ground pool. My parents installed it about 10 years ago. Daily maintainance isn't too bad. It's mainly the leaves at the end of summer that suck. With a solar blanket, it gets warm enough without being heated.

We don't have a deck, but I carry Cider in and out of the pool, she wears a life jacket.

Keep in mind though, that short of a really expensive concrete pool, that the pool liner may always be in danger above ground or in ground. Even trimmed doggie nails pose a threat if the dog gets too close to the edge.

Roxy's_MA
December 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
A lock on the gate leading to the pool is a good idea for liability reasons. Our friends bought one of those above ground ones, the second one pictured that you can take down every winter.

Some kids, they never figured out who, where coming over and swimming in the pool while they where at work everyday. They are lucky nothing happened, I am sure even though the kids were trespassing they would have been held liable.

jjgeonerd
December 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
My parents had an in-ground pool installed at their house in Las Vegas (after I graduated high school of course :mad: ). Anyway...it cost them about $20,000 (US). Probably a good ballpark price of what a new one costs anywhere I would guess. Vegas prices are about middle of the road as far as the US is concerned.

chico2
December 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
We have an in/above ground pool,because of a slant it had to be partly in ground.
It's 5 feet deep,has decking all around cost today about $11.000,but we;ve had ours for 13 years,LOVE it...inground is waaay too expensive,here at least $30.000.
Here is a pic,but you only see some of it...I never had any regrets,the pool is a godsend in the summer!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I like your pool chico. I like the pool with the deck around it, as we need a new deck anyways maybe we can build that in. In our house the back deck is on the second level, which gets way to hot in the summer as there is no shade on it. Maybe an option would be to build a small deck, with stairs going down to another deck that could have the pool. :D

Bushfire2000
December 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Safety is key with a pool.
Fence it in and lock the gate.
You don't want to be responsible for an accident.
Some dogs have a difficult time swimming, Pugs come to mind in this regard.
Some kids overestimate their swimming abilities, best to be safe.

chico2
December 9th, 2005, 06:26 AM
JoeysMom,thank's,I like our pool too:D
Hubbie built the upper deck and the pool-people the rest.
We also have a 7 foot wooden fence and hedging,everything the law requires to be safe.
Should anyone drown in our pool if we are away,we are not responsible,it would be terrible but not our fault.