Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey shook a paw

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 6th, 2005, 10:08 PM
:D Joey now shakes a paw. After repeateldy picking up his paw and saying shake a paw. Joey now shakes a paw.
He is so cute when he does, he sort of tilts his head and pauses and looks at me with his soleful eyes, he then takes a second to think about it, then he slowly lifts his paw and puts it my hand. He seems to switch back and forth between left and right. So I think he is ambedextrous (is that the right word)

Also if I say Joey wag your tail really excitedly he will wag it, and if I saying Joey stop he will stop. I think the voice just alerts him so he stops. But I think it makes him look pretty smart. :D :crazy:

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 10:35 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gifGo Joey! Go Joey! Woooo!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Would you like to also teach him high five and wave, let me know.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Yes, yes, yes. Is it possible to do it without treats? We have been doing all our training without treats and it seems to working pretty good. in fact the kids tried to get Joey to sit for a Scooby snack and he just looked at them like what are you doing. Of course we made him sit and then he got the treat afterwards.

jawert1
December 7th, 2005, 10:28 AM
congrats!!!!! it's so much fun when they learn something new, I swear I get far more excited when my two pick up fast :) You must be so jazzed!!

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Yes,
Ok lets start with the high five. Place him into a sit and ask for a paw, praise when he does. Continue to get him to give a paw but each time get him to reach a little higher until he is reaching up almost to the height of his head. Once he is doing this turn the palm of your hand to face him and give him the cue paw. When he starts to get it change the cue to high five.
Now you have the high five. To get a wave hold your hand in the high five position but hold it a little further than what he can reach. When he goes to give you a high five his paw will miss, praise. Wave your fingers when you give this cue. When is is getting this one, cue him to wave and when he does don't praise. He will think he did something wrong and try again, praise. You will now have 2. Do this until he really gets it and again do nothing, he will give you a third. Three paws make a good wave.

shannonRN
December 7th, 2005, 03:31 PM
That's so cool--I never thought to teach wave. We're going to work on that.
Thanks Stacy.

Congrats Joey, on your first trick :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Yes thanks Stacey, everyone will be so impressed with Joey. Whoever said you cant teach an old dog new tricks. :D

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 08:21 PM
No problem, have fun.