Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

humping female puppy

heather331
December 6th, 2005, 09:55 PM
my 15 week old female puppy has started to hump my leg. she also does this to my boyfriend. she doesnt hump anything else except legs. I didnt think girls did this and especially this young. why would a girl dog hump...that shouldnt be her instinct should it?

jawert1
December 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
My english springer spaniel did that up until the day she passed at age 9, which our vet attributed to her slight dominance issues (especially over my little brother). You could try redirecting her "attentions" to something like a Kong to chew on when she does that, providing there isn't some odd medical issue at hand.

Lois
December 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I had a female shih tzu/poo who brought out a stuffed animal every time we had company and humped it. what a hoot! She never outgrew it...and she was spayed.

LavenderRott
December 6th, 2005, 10:34 PM
This is a dominance behaviour and should be dealt with as such. If your dog is humping YOUR leg, then you are not being seen as alpha in his/her pack.

Training classes should take care of the problem. Well, that and a firm "knock it off" when the behaviour starts.

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I agree with LavenderRott. Humping humans is showing you that you are not the alpha of the pack. If there's husky in her, be prepared to have a dominant doggy (and hard headed). They're not all like that, but when they are, they ARRRRE. :D You have to get a grip on this before she gets bigger. If you show her who is boss now (by going to obedience and learning how), then later, when she's big, she won't test you as much.;)

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
A puppy doing this is very common and not a dominance issue. It will usually happen when she is very happy or excited. It doesn't mean that you won't correct her for doing it. You can make the decision that either you don't want her to do it to anything at all at any time or you can allow her to do it to her own things but nothing else. She will probably grow out of it as she gets a little older and with stopping her each time she tries.