Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog scratches an awful lot

kennymack
December 6th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi y'all. Our GSD Logan is approx. 2-1/2 years old and around 130 lbs. He is a big boy, but a real sweetie. He really enjoys being a lap dog! Anyways, recently moved to Sherwood Park, AB and since we have been here we have noticed that he has been scratching quite a bit more than he used to before we moved. At first we thought it was because the place we took him to for grooming (they go maybe 2-3 time a year) did not rinse him enough so we took him elsewhere and they regroomed him rinsing him several times. As well, we also started giving him an Omega 3-6-9 pill everyday when we fed him. We have not changed his diet in anyway either. We did take him to the a vet when we were in Sask about a 2 months ago and he suggested that it was just stress and to just give him time (our other GSD has not had a problem). He persisted when we got back and so Nath (wife) talked to our old vet and he prescribed steroids. The scratching stopped, but Logan started drinking way more than usual, wanting to eat more and getting more rambunctious. We talked to the vet and he said that was normal. We finished the course and then Logan started scratching again. While we are not at our wits end we are getting concerned as we do not want him scratching himself raw. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thanks heaps.
Sorry for the ultra long post, just wanted to give as much info as possible

Lois
December 6th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Ask the vet for a mild tranquilizer for a few weeks. I think your dog is just stressed from the move. He may need more attention because he feels insecure. Some dogs do not like change and need months to adjust to a new home. Good Luck!

technodoll
December 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM
you mention moving to a new home... might be environmental allergies... since you have not changed foods and the stress of moving should have simmered down by now, and scratching stopped with steroids but resurfaced when stopping the drugs - i would have a full allergy panel done to eliminate an outside source (something in the new house? the new yard?)

also pets, like humans, can develop sudden allergies to certain foods. a full allergy panel would determine if this is the case.

hope your big boy gets better soon! ;)

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 11:50 PM
If it was an anxiety or psychological thing, the steroids wouldn't have helped much, if at all.

Has there been a frost where you are? If it's a plant allergy, the frost usually takes care of it. Unless somebody gave you a new plant as a housewarming present...:eek:

Is he eating any flax? Flax makes some doggies very itchy.

What food is he eating right now? Like technodoll said, food allergies can come out of nowhere. You might want to try changing the protein source in the food (i.e. change from chicken to lamb or fish) and eliminate all corn and wheat (the usual suspects of food allergies). I think the stress of moving might have weakened his immune system and brought out allergies (or amplified them).

That's pretty much all I can think of right now...:D

Shaykeija
December 7th, 2005, 12:02 AM
could also be dry skin. Try a good doggie conditioner on him. I let it sit for a hour on Sophie and it really helped with her scratching. I also use a spray conditioner on her if she starts to scratch a little. Good luck

cpietra16
December 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Alberta is very dry. At least Edmonton was. When I moved there, I noticed that my cats did scratch more and I used so much more moisturizer than usual.