Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long should your dog be alone?

lm9012
December 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
What's the most a doggie can go home alone without being walked? I work all day, luckily my boyfriend works from home and Albert gets more than sufficient walks. The most he leaves him alone is 3-4 hours and always walks him before and when he comes back and leaves him with plenty of fresh water. We don't use a kennell, no need really.
Last week we went on an all-day trip, we were gone about 8 hours, and left him at a doggie day care. Many of my friends stated I should've just left him home. I can't imagine me going 8 hours with no potty break let alone my baby. Am I exagerating? He's a good boy and will hold it. But I'm sure that can cause damage internally eventually. At this point, there's been no need to leave him alone for extended periods of time, and if, I'm hoping friends or family members can help. But what do you guys do in circumstances like these?
The doggy day care was fine, and not too expensive, they showed us the facility and the dogs that were there were all clean and looked very well taken care of. His right eye has been extra watery (clear or brownish discharge) since we got back so now my bf is against ever taking him there again. The discharge doesn't seem to be getting any worse or seem to bother him, is it possible he got an infection from there? :eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 6th, 2005, 07:58 PM
IM1902What's the most a doggie can go home alone without being walked? I work all day, luckily my boyfriend works from home and Albert gets more than sufficient walks. The most he leaves him alone is 3-4 hours and always walks him before and when he comes back and leaves him with plenty of fresh water. We don't use a kennell, no need really.

I think thats pretty standard, most people that have pets need to work or have some sort of income to afford all the neccessities and to take proper care of their pets.

I think 8 hours seems like a long time, but then again I dont know your dog, and I am not sure what others do with their dogs. I think doggie daycare is a great idea. If my husband and I both start working during the day I would definately look into doggie daycare for Joey.

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 09:24 PM
A lot of doggies can handle 8 hours easily. I mean, you don't wake up in the middle of the night to let him out, do you?

For the eye, I'd head to the vet.

Sneaky
December 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM
If the eye is weeping discharge, a trip to your local
pharmacy, will do the trick, and save you at least 50
dollars.
Ask for Polysporin Eye and Ear Drops.
They have been recommended several times
to me by vets for minor eye and ear infections.
They work great, and having used them myself,
dont irritate the eye very much at all.
I always keep a bottle on hand for those weepy eyes
or irritated ears (though no ear infections in any of the
pets yet thankfully).
As for how long they can be left alone, well my dog easily
sleeps the night through 8-10 hours regularly,
so I assume she can stay inside alone with no pee breaks
for just as long. It does not cause internal problems.
Due to a family emergency she once was left inside
alone for 16 hours and didnt have a potty break, and no
accidents either!
Older dogs and young puppies cant go this long of course.
My dog also has access to both food and water on a 24/7 basis.

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 12:28 AM
They have been recommended several times
to me by vets for minor eye and ear infections.If this is lm9012's first encounter with an eye infection, she might be better off going to the vet. If it's a mild infection, chances are it will just cost the consult fee. The thing is, you can't really compare the severity of it with anything if you've never had one before. You know what I mean? The infection could be very progressed and seem mild to the OP but without seeing it, we might not know for sure. JMO.

jessi76
December 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM
The discharge doesn't seem to be getting any worse or seem to bother him, is it possible he got an infection from there? :eek:

absolutely possible. I put my pup in daycare for one day, he came out with conjunctivitis AND kennel cough. nothing major, and he cleared up quickly after a trip to the vet - but just so you know, it is possible. and the daycare I used was extremely clean. It's always best to consult your vet, for proper med's, dosage, and length of time to use them.

as for leaving our dog alone... if we'll be gone over 6 hours I always have someone check on him. for a potty break, and a bit of attention.

technodoll
December 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM
hubby and i both work so doggy is left alone all day (9am - 5:30pm) most days, loose in the appartment. he will be 2 yo soon. he gets a walk & playtime at the park in the morning, and of course as soon as I come home from work. About twice per week though we are lucky enough to have a friend pick him up in the mid-afternoon for playtime with his best friend at the park, so that gives him a break too.

however this was a gradual buildup, when he was a puppy and younger dog, he was crated while we were away and hubby came home in the afternoons to take him for a potty break, food & company - then back in the crate until i came home at 5:30pm. Gradually we tested the waters with leaving him out of the crate for a few hours, making sure he was not a chewer (luckily not, very respectful of our property), varying the lunch-times, etc.

our breeder had told us that dogs are highly adapatable and with proper training, they will adjust to your routine. our friend's dog suffers from seperation anxiety and cannot be left alone for 3 minutes, he panics, howls, rips the house to shreds and mutilates himself. i totally blame the owner who never made any effort to correct this behavior at first onset, is against crates, does not use the Nothing In Life Is Free method and now his dog is king of the house and rules this poor guy's life. If he has no sitter, he is stuck at home! so stupid. :mad:

we would NEVER endure that from our dog, and raised him to be polite & respectful towards us and he knows his place on the family totem pole (at the bottom!). he is an absolute angel and pleasure to be with and to bring everywhere, people are amazed at how well-mannered he is! so the efforts paid off, LOL.

SnowDancer
December 7th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Some dogs auto-mutilate in a crate - I know, mine is one of them - bad experience prior to our adopting him. Regrettably he is also a Hoover. As far as 8 hours go whether he can hold it depends on the dog, age, size of bladder, etc. But in my opinion - and that of my vet - there should always be some place where if desperate your dog knows he is allowed to go. Whether it be a paper in the basement whatever. One of my vet's patients died by jumping through the living room window when they were late coming home because he had been so trained that he absolutely could never go in the house, that he didn't know what else to do. Until dogs can be trained to use the toilet - I have this conversation with my dog daily - it is something I have always done. I know of people who follow NILIF to the extreme - to the point that if the dog won't do his business at the appointed time in the a.m. the dogs - adults - who are crated all day - are told they will have to hold it - while "Mom" can go as she chooses. My dog is happier with his Mommy.

technodoll
December 7th, 2005, 03:06 PM
snowdancer... unfortunately, some people should NOT own dogs but they do... sigh. :(

Roxy's_MA
December 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Some dogs auto-mutilate in a crate - I know, mine is one of them - bad experience prior to our adopting him. Regrettably he is also a Hoover. As far as 8 hours go whether he can hold it depends on the dog, age, size of bladder, etc. But in my opinion - and that of my vet - there should always be some place where if desperate your dog knows he is allowed to go. Whether it be a paper in the basement whatever. One of my vet's patients died by jumping through the living room window when they were late coming home because he had been so trained that he absolutely could never go in the house, that he didn't know what else to do. Until dogs can be trained to use the toilet - I have this conversation with my dog daily - it is something I have always done. I know of people who follow NILIF to the extreme - to the point that if the dog won't do his business at the appointed time in the a.m. the dogs - adults - who are crated all day - are told they will have to hold it - while "Mom" can go as she chooses. My dog is happier with his Mommy.

Yes, I have to leave my dog for about 9 hours most days. I alway leave a puppy pad out in the basement. Some day she uses it some day she doesn't. I have also given my nieghbors a key to the house, and keep their phone number in my cell. For whatever reason if I ever get stuck in the the city (happed once, I was in a car accident) I can call them and they will come let her out and take care of her.

technodoll
December 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
also if my dog (who is home alone during work-days) has a cramp and has to go... he will go! thankfully never on the carpet, always the hardwood floor... i have never punished him for it, just cleaned it up and that was that. accidents happen and i know he feels bad about it, poor thing.

you just have to know what you're ready to deal with!

K9Friend
December 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I have a large dog that is left alone roughly 9.5-10 hrs a day. I make sure she gets plenty of outdoor time before i take off for work and same upon my return. Accidents in the house are never an issue. :)

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I would never yell at my babies if they went because we were away too long or if they were sick. That's just cruel. That's when you need to roll up the newspaper and hit yourself with it (like the joke says to do :D) and say "I wasn't there when my baby needed me."