Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What IS Messina to you?

pitbulliest
December 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Is Messina really a pit? I think so...I mean, her papers (even though they came from a pair of hitchhikers that owned her) say she's APBT...

Some people ask me if she's APBT, some ask if she's a staffie..and some say she's mastiff...a few have suggested boxer mix!

She's not shaggy enough to be german shep mixed, she's not large enough to be mastiff mix...unless a mastiff mix can be a tad over my knee height..and I'm 5'7''...

I guess I don't really care too much..but at the same time, curiousity killed the cat..lol I posted this in the pitbullforum..and nobody has said APBT and staffie yet..lol ouch..that hurts!

anywho...looking forward to your guys' response..come on everyone..let a girl know! :D

OH, by the way, her pictures are up at her dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/?45488 :thumbs up

happycats
December 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I think she looks like a Mastiff/ \GSD mix
The ears and mask colour are GSD especially that last pic , the body and build and colour looks Mastiff!
looks like a real sweetheart:love:

Roxy's_MA
December 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Her coloring definatly reminds me of a Mastiff. I am going to guess her other part to be APBT or American Bulldog. I am not the greatest a guessing these, but that is what she looks like to me.

Roxy's_MA
December 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Looking at them again, I can see the GSD only in the last pic.

Lizzie
December 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I would say that she's a three way cross--GSD, Mastiff and Pit Bull Terrier.

She's definitely a cross.

seeker
December 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM
A lot of mastiff and a mix of ? The ears look like a sheppard but not neccessaily a German sheppard . Unless the pics are decieving I would not think pitbull at all. How much does she weigh ?

happycats
December 6th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Here is one that looks kinda like yours. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=3853064
and this one. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5252880

Lucky Rescue
December 6th, 2005, 07:58 PM
From seeng the pics, and if I had to answer, I'd say she's not a pit bull at all or very little.

Her conformation and colouring looks more like BullMastiff, and I'd even say maybe boxer too from her face and ear carriage.

She's a very beautiful girl and the pics on Dogster are lovely!:)

gdamadg
December 6th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I would have to say Boxer cross. I have the same problem with Sprint, we left you a bone on Dogster, ;) .

pitbulliest
December 6th, 2005, 08:22 PM
lol..thanx guys..its strange...when some people see her, they automatically assume pit..and sometimes, they think she's something else...strange indeed..she acts like a pit alot..with the zoomies...and the big cheesy smiles..lol

gdamadg
December 6th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Well the zoomies and smiles could be the boxer. But who knows. All I know, is that I see a beautiful dog.

pitbulliest
December 6th, 2005, 08:39 PM
She's my woman.. :) hubba hubba..lol

Invicta
December 6th, 2005, 08:41 PM
At first thing to come out of my mouth was, "looks like there's Great Dane in Messina (I see it in the head)" obviously crossed with something else. Mastiff...comes to mind.

We left you a bone and a pal request...

seeker
December 6th, 2005, 09:26 PM
At first thing to come out of my mouth was, "looks like there's Great Dane in Messina (I see it in the head)" obviously crossed with something else. Mastiff...comes to mind.

We left you a bone and a pal request...

I was thinking Dane as well , that is why I asked what she weighed .

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I say teacup Dane... (lol I mean a runty Dane...) Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I see dane all over except the proportions. Dane tail, dane head, dane eyes, dane fur...

Watchdog
December 6th, 2005, 09:59 PM
She looks like an APBT to me with the possibility of another breed in the woodpile somewhere down the line.She has the behavioral characteristics of a pitty the way she lounges on the couch thats for sure.

StaceyB
December 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM
My guess would be staff/boxer.

mona_b
December 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Wow,this is a bit of a toughy.LOL

In some of the pics she definately looks like she has Mastiff in her.One looks like she has Dane.And the last one I see GSD.The first one of her on the picnic table does look like she has pitty in her.

You could possible have a Danestiffpittherd..........:D :p

Shaykeija
December 6th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Silly me....:crazy: I thought I was looking at a person with a fur suit on. What a beauty.

StaceyB
December 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Go to petfinder and look up staffordshire. There are 8 or so listed(staff/boxer). I did notice one that was staff/mastiff but as I said before I think she is staff/boxer.

gdamadg
December 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM
That's exactly what we thought Sprint is, he has a lot of similar features to Messina. Just different colourings.

Aaaaah, I can't look at petfinder. There are soo many puppies on there, makes me wish I didn't live in this province so I could adopt a bunch.

Sneaky
December 6th, 2005, 10:55 PM
The ears and the fact that she has a clearly distinctive
ridge along her back say she definetly has some Rhodesian
Ridgeback in her.
The rest looks all Pitty.
I would hazard to guess a Pitty Ridgeback Cross.

gottahavepets
December 7th, 2005, 12:11 AM
My first guess would be pittie, but only because I guessed a dog in our obedience class with similar looks was a boxer and he turned out to be pittie. LOL, I still thought he was adorable though. I haven't seen any mastiffs so I couldn't comment on that although she doesn't seem to be all pittie. The reason for that is her ears and head, it's not all pit to be sure.Thus I would guess some boxer (or mastiff or dane, as pups I get them all confused, just know they all resemble bulldog in some way, shape or form), GSD, pittie. Sneaky can you post a ridgeback, I've never seen one?

All in all Messina is a gorgeous dog and really that's all anyone really needs to know right? She also looks like she has an adorable disposition, at least in front of the camera, they're all angels then, but when we're not looking the things they get into...:rolleyes:

mona_b
December 7th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I personally don't think that she has Ridgeback in her.Some people do get confused when they see a line down the back.But that doesn't have to mean that this breed is in it.And that line on Messina's back only showed when she is running.

He is a pic of a Purebred Ridgeback.

mona_b
December 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Here's another one.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I def see dane or mastiff in that mix somewhere. Either way she is beautiful :)

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 08:58 AM
That colour will show up in other breeds besides mastiff and dane.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I know that !!!!
She looks almost identical to a friends mix dane. But that face , the black mask looks mastiff

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM
From what was written she is not a very big dog. Both of those breeds are likely to add size to a mix.

Rottielover
December 7th, 2005, 09:53 AM
very true but it is always possible there is another breed mixed in there somwhere. Lets just say she is a 100% pure cute mutt

StaceyB
December 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Agreed, very cute.

pitbulliest
December 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
lol aww thanks for so much feedback guys..and yes, she's definately a couch lounger, a running around with her butt tucked back cuz she's got the zoomies, grumbling bully style when she's happy kinda girl... lmao

Although I really don't know where people see the GSD..she has a very smooth short coat...and even the tail has no GSD "bush" to it???

...alot of people have mentioned mastiff/APBT or APBT/boxer to me as well..

I guess this is what happens when you get a rescue dog..you're left guessing..hehe..in the pitbull co-op..she's sitting next to rocky..he's a pittie...so maybe that'll give people a better idea..lol

happycats
December 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
lol aww thanks for so much feedback guys..and yes, she's definately a couch lounger, a running around with her butt tucked back cuz she's got the zoomies, grumbling bully style when she's happy kinda girl... lmao

Although I really don't know where people see the GSD..she has a very smooth short coat...and even the tail has no GSD "bush" to it???

...alot of people have mentioned mastiff/APBT or APBT/boxer to me as well..

I guess this is what happens when you get a rescue dog..you're left guessing..hehe..in the pitbull co-op..she's sitting next to rocky..he's a pittie...so maybe that'll give people a better idea..lol

Did you check out the second link I posted? Mastiff/GSD, the pic is hard to see but no bushy tail and same colouring as yours and short coat.

pitbulliest
December 7th, 2005, 01:16 PM
yeah I did see that one.the color is very similar..but the tail is a little big large...maybe not bushy...its not snaky like Messinas...and around the collarline, you see a bit of the tuff...very GSD like..Messina doesn't have that either.....that's why I didn't think so...

It's amazing how mixing different dogs together can come up with something completely unlike the two that were put together in the first place! lol

CyberKitten
December 7th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I am never good at responding to these since I can rarely tell unless one breed really stands out. I see her as part GS in one and the other Mastiff or bull dog. I would never assume her to be a pittie.

BullLover
December 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I would say definately has the colours of a Dane or Mastiff, but definately not the body size to go with either.

Perhaps, crossed with a smaller breed? Maybe staff. bull terrier??

I don't see Pitbull when I see Miss Messina.

babyrocky1
December 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I guess this is what happens when you get a rescue dog..you're left guessing..hehe..in the pitbull co-op..she's sitting next to rocky..he's a pittie...so maybe that'll give people a better idea..lol Yeah but Rockys not a "typical Pit either, hes supposed to be a staff, but hes thin. Anyways both Messina and Rocky "resemble" pit bulls so thats all that counts now LOL that and they are georgous! ha ha, all the pittie co-op members are LOL Check out the lovely Kayla as well! I noticed someone thought she might be part bull terrier, thats what I thought too, she probably isn't but she looks sort of staffy bull, which is my MOSt favorite next to pitties! :love: And the dog I would like to get for Brandon, should this bill hit the dust were it belongs! She couldn't be some of the mastiff crosses etc. cause shes too small.

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM
So uhhh... Does this mean you're not the "pitbulliest"? Maybe just a "littlebitpit"?:D :evil: :clown:

smartie
December 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM
my guess is pit / boxer but I can be wrong :)
I love pitbulls so much so I am ready to see pitbulls line in every dog I meet :)

btw, they say my pit Archie looks like part mastiff too

what do you think guys?

http://ourpitbulls.com/00000079i1.jpg (http://ourpitbulls.com/00000079)

here are more pictures of him and my pitbull/ACD Ritche
http://pitbull.ourpitbulls.com/album.php

chico2
December 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I think she has Great Dane for sure,here is a pic of Crystal,a Great Dane/Husky mix(RIP),sorry about the quality of the pic...

pitbulliest
December 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM
lmao yeah Prin....I'm "notthepitbulliestafterall"....

I dunno..I just thought it would be an interesting thread to put up..I know she is a pit...I mean most people on the street think so...its just someone recently mentioned something else she might be and I wanted to know what you guys thought..

Its hard to tell by pics anywho..lol its strange cuz I posted the same thread on two other forums..and its the weirdest thing...someone here mentioned GSD, and on another thread, everyone agreed 100% that she was pure pit..and on yet another thread, they thought staffie/mastiff cross... wooo wee! what a difference eh? interesting indeed...

...and Debbie..I really do think Rocky does look like a pittie..he's got the cute little apple top head...and the eyes..and the wiggly bumm..and the zoomies....:) he's so precious...you should be proud!