Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet keeps dehydrated Yorkie 2 days...

Skipperdee
December 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Hello, and I apologize in advance if I'm doing this wrong, but my 1 yr. old Yorkie has been at the vet for two days so far, due to dehydration, and I want to know how serious this is. The vet says he's waiting for the lab results on her cultures and that she's better today then she was yesterday, but he's elusive when I say 'Is she going to be okay?" He said she was relaxing. She didn't eat today, but they got some food in her yesterday. She has been on an IV since yesterday at noon. We've always had big, giant dogs, so when our little Skipperdee(the Yorkie)got diarrhea we kept an eye on her but didn't take her to the vet. She was playing and eating so we thought she was getting better. Like an idiot, I was using my experience with big dogs and it didn't cross my mind that the system on a 100 pound dog would be radically different from a 5 pound dog. Please share your little dog experiences and please tell me what I can expect.
Anxious and concerned, Skippy's Mom

Skipperdee
December 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I don't know what to tell my daughter. She keeps asking if Skipperdee is going to die. The doctor won't answer me, he just laughed and said 'We're not planning on it" WHAT!!! The worst part is the thought of Skipperdee alone in a crate all night. She's never been alone in her life! Is that going to make her more sick? Go ahead and yell at me for letting her get dehydrated in the first place, but please tell us what you think. I asked the doctor "On a scale of 1-10, how dehydrated is she?" He said '6.5'.
Help Help Help, Skippy's Mom

Roxy's_MA
December 6th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I am sorry you are going through this. I have never expereinced dehydration in a dog before. My cat did get sick, and was kept over night on an IV to rehydrate her. She was weak when I got her back, but the fluids definatly helped. Now that I have her back, I usually ad pedialyte (for babies when the get diahrea) to her water, to make sure she is getting the electrolytes to keep her hydrated. As soon as KC was feeling better, she started eating again. That was a big releif.

I really hope your little yorkie pulls through this ok. You have done all you can for now, and just need to wait for word from the vet. Important thing is that she is a the vet getting the care she needs.

papillonmama
December 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Okay, 6.5 is a little over five, so I'm not saying to stop worrying, but to try to pull a brave face for your kid. Tell your daughter the truth, puppy is at the dog hospital and the doctors are working hard to make her feel better.
When Trigs was a pup he had parvo, we brought him to the vet they decided it would be best if he stayed overnight, they pumped him full of antibiotics, and gave him an I.V., they did everything that they could, one night of hoping, next day we called, he was still tired, feeling really ill, but the diarrhea had stopped, they kept him for a second night, and when we brought him back second day he was still feeling awful, I had to spoon feed him a cedar tea that I made for him, he slept a lot and the next day he was feeling good again, well enough to eat, we boiled some rice, then we were able to move up to chicken, boiled also, and then some canned food from the vet. When he finished, he was even better than ever.
My hubby told me that when he got him from the vet he looked so grateful just to see him. Honestly our connection is even stronger because of the time that I spent nursing him back to health. Not that I suggest using a major illness to get closer to your pet, it was just the only pleasant side effect. Another side effect, anytime he hears a can being opened he's right by your side, he can hear it from any room in the house!:eek:
One other thing, we lucked out with our vet, but if you don't trust yours you might think of getting another opinion.
Good luck, hope she feels better soon, keep us posted, has the vet told you what he thinks is/was the real problem?

Skipperdee
December 6th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks to both of you for responding. I can't believe I forgot to tell you that she got into the garbage on Thursday night and ate Wednesday nights Chinese food. I'm sure you all heard about the tainted bean sprouts and how people all over the GTA were getting sick. The vet is checking for salmonella (spelling)!! Our vet is really thorough and great with animals, just not so great with humans. You know how super-smart people can be socially inept sometimes? That's him. But you're right, if I didn't trust him I would go for a second opinion.

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I think the vet is being twitty because he's trying to make you feel guilty and/or like a bad parent for letting a dog dehydrate that much... I don't think it will affect the way he is treating her, or at least I hope it isn't...:fingerscr

I would tell your daughter that your doggy is very sick and you'll let her know how he's doing along the way when you find out.:)

BMDLuver
December 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
When our pup was in hospital for two weeks, our older daughter kept asking if he could come home. We would explain that Dr. ****** was trying to help him get better and that if he could do that then he'd be able to come home. We tried to be as honest as possible without scaring her. I think it's important to give small children some information that is at their level so that as they grow they are more able to cope with loss. They aren't blindsided then.

Skipperdee
December 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Good morning everyone and thank you for your support. The lab results came back negative and he just took the IV out. My daughter is informed and being very grown-up and logical about this. She's comforted that Skippy is being well taken care of. Herein lies my dilemma. Yes, he took the IV out, but that was with hopes that the freedom would encourage her to eat. Skippy didn't eat yesterday. I think she's too scared to eat. When I spoke to him today at 11:00am he said they would continue watching her and touch base with me later. I told him that I was certain we could get her to eat at home. I said she would be on someone's lap 24 hours a day. My gut tells me that Skippy shouldn't spend another night there. I would bring her right back in the morning. There's no one there at night anyway, so how can he possibly justify keeping her. If there's no IV then I want her home. He's taking care of lots of animals and can't focus on Skippy. I can.
Am I being unreasonable? Maybe I am. The vet knows best, right?

SnowDancer
December 7th, 2005, 11:01 AM
If you trust your vet I would go with his advice. My pup was recently hospitalized for 3 days. There is a virus going around Toronto - like a revolving door - it is rampant. People are bringing their dogs in early, mid-virus and late stage. I had my dog at vet within 12 hours - started late on a Friday throwing up, then he wouldn't eat his cookie - definitely a bad sign. He managed to do his business - again no cookie. Diarrhea started at 8:00 p.m. followed by throwing up of more bile and more diarrhea. At 7:00 a.m. he still wouldn't drink or eat - he wanted to eat - was kicking his dish around - and I had put his favourite things in it - but couldn't stomach the thought. At 8:00 a.m. we were at vet - of course I was concerned about a blockage - been there with another dog - and since he is a Hoover, well there was a good chance of this. Since we got him there so fast, dehydration had not set in, thankfully. At the end of the second day he accepted a bit of food and kept it down - if he hadn't, many more tests would have been called for. Since they had had so many dogs in suffering from same virus and because we got him in early they knew what to prescribe without performing a huge battery of tests. But had he not eaten when he did, many more tests would have been performed. I did ask about bringing him home at night to monitor him but vet said if he did not start to show signs of improvement they would ask me to take him to the Emergency for the night, just in case - and then I would have returned him to my vet next day. Fortunately my main vet (practice of 4) was working until midnight his first night there. I can assure you though, as much as you think your dog would eat at home, I strongly doubt it. My guy is frantic about his food - to the point that if he eats a cookie just to be polite, the store thinks twice about carrying it. I know how hard it is to have your pup in a cage at the vet's - my mini Dachshund was hospitalized for 40 days after his back surgery. That was very tough. Hospital care is very expensive these days so I sure understand what you are going through cost wise. Gone are the days of a "boarding fee" plus cost of treatments/care as required. Flat rates. I would not be surprised to learn that your pup does have a form of this virus - not all dogs are throwing up - just diarrhea. Better to be safe than sorry though. Please keep us posted. By the way if your dog does have this virus don't be surprised if he comes home with 20 antibiotics an several cans of VERY high fibre food - once used - return to regular food. Thankfully, we are back on his Salmon A La Veg!

Skipperdee
December 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM
It's comforting to know that it's not too uncommon for these overnight stays. You're right, if the vet wants to keep her I have to trust that there is a legitimate reason to do so. When Snowdancer mentioned that they couldn't get their 'hoover' dog to eat at home, I thought 'how am I going to get my picky little eater to eat if Snowdancer can't'. I'm going to phone the vet again at 2:30pm and I'll keep all of your advice in mind as I talk to him. Thanks again, Skippy's Mom

Prin
December 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I would ask to bring her home for the night and back in the morning... If that's not possible, then I'd ask to sit with her for a while. You have to understand that many people say they'll come back and don't, so the vet may be wary of letting the doggy go if she's not 100% (especially if he has any doubt in you...)

SnowDancer
December 7th, 2005, 02:08 PM
In 1997 my mini Dachshund ate a piece of a quilt - bought the previous days -used it as a base to clean his toe nails. Came home to find large strand of it wrapped around his canine tooth and proceeding down his throat - it was 7:30 so off we went to Emergency. Full checkup and diarrhea causing meds -and were told to take him to our vet next morning after watching for any signs of vomiting that night. Next morning to our vet of at that time 18 years. They monitored him during day and agreed we should monitor him at night for the vomiting signs. This was before we had the excellent McMurrich St. vet emergency with on-call surgeons - and they knew what the problem was - either this rope like fabric was going to pass or it wasn't. They figured 3 days and 3 days its was. Had we not just bought the quilt and of course had the evidence hanging from his mouth we would not have even known and he could well have died of a blockage had it not passed as many dogs have done. Had he started vomiting, in those days we would have had to rush him to Guelph - something we did in April, 2003 - 3 hours of frantic driving for another problem. My vet knew we would monitor all night. But when you aren't sure what problem is, sometimes it is best to leave with vet and/or transfer to emergency. I really like McMurrich but so many surgeries require a 24 hour workup - Guelph does not - it is just that McMurrich is in downtown Toronto - and open 24 hours a day. If your pup is doing better your vet might let you take puppy home, but if in doubt - don't risk it. I hate seeing my Eskimo being carried away, ears totally flat against his head, big eyes pleading - he looked like a baby seal with fluffy fur. With his fear of cages it was awkward, but he was feeling too off to care I guess. His love of food is second only to that of our Dachshunds and our Beagle - the true gourmands of gourmets - life revolves around meals and snacks. How on earth I kept everyone at the appropriate weight is a miracle to everyone considering what they ate/eat. All very healthy of course - and poor Eskie is sensitive to corn. But when breeds such as these won't eat, run to vet - just not normal.

Skipperdee
December 7th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Skippy is home! We went to get her at 5:30 pm. My 9 yr old daughter waited anxiously at the door and our vet went straight to her and handed Skippy over. Skipperdee had heard us all the way from the basement and was barking her little head off. The doctor couldn't get her to eat for 2 days, but as soon as she got home she went straight to her bowl and ate with enthusiasm. After about a billion cuddles I gave her a bath, (she was pretty stinky) and now she is fast asleep with my daughter.

I don't have much experience with this sort of thing so I can't begin to tell you how valuable your advice and support was. It even helped with my husband because he was DETERMINED to bring Skippy home until I told him what you all said. Thanks to all of you we were able to make good decisions and know what to expect.

You have my sincere appreciation and respect, thank you so much.

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Yey! I'm glad you have her back!:)

CyberKitten
December 8th, 2005, 03:18 AM
I just saw this thread - so happy tp hear your little Yorkie is home and doing better with his little girl! (and mom and dad of course). It is scary but sounds like your vet was good!!! :grouphug:
btw, Prin, why do you have a trophy by your name? (and now that I have posted, I see I have one too - weird!) Sorry to hijack the thread for a trivial question. Your Yorkie's health is so much more important!!! You need a trophy for caring for her!!! Don't be hard on yourself- things happen that we often have little to do anything with, sigh! We can however rush them to a vet and get them well - and you are a great mommy for doing that!!!!

Prin
December 8th, 2005, 04:03 AM
(the trophy is because we're champs of the arcade....;) )

papillonmama
December 8th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Glad to hear she's home Skipperdee!!!:party:

Skipperdee
December 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I read that we're supposed to put lots of details in the title, but maybe I've gone too far. It's just that it's pivotal to Skippy's recovery and now I can say, with certainty, that she's better. What a relief. I know I keep saying thank you to all of you, but I can't help it. I've never been part of a board before, so it blows me away that perfect strangers have been so caring and supportive. You guys are good people. I'm going to be useless on this board because I don't have many experiences to share. I'll just be a 'post' to cry on.

Prin
December 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
LOL You should see the detail we go into here sometimes... It's funny for us, but any outsider looking in would have us all committed...:D I'm glad your baby is doing better and better!:)