Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat anal sack issues--fear of vet

PJer
December 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Hello,
I have two cats, and both are absolute terrors at the vet. They scratch and hiss and carry on terribly, and take a long time to return to their sweet selves afterwards. I made a huge mistake, and had a vet come to the house- hoping he was a "cat whisperer" and they would be calmer, but he wasn't, and they weren't. It only served to make them fearful in their own home for at least a week.
Chase (female DSH, adopted from the shelter, about 2 yrs old) has some occasional "plugs" in her anal sacs (so the visiting vet diagnosed). He thought that she would've passed them with her next hard stool, but he removed them manually and squeezed out the contents of her sack during the visit. Only once has she "released" this in the house, since I have added pumpkin to her diet for fiber. She never fusses at her rear, and guards it a bit (but I think only because I have become quite focused on it!). It seems to have been kept in check, but occasionally she still develops a little plug.
Chochi (littermate and alpha female, adopted with Chase) occasionally scoots her butt along the ridge of the sofa. She only does it once in a while- perhaps once every week or so? (I work at home, so observe them most of the day and evening)--otherwise, she never fusses at her butt, and both of them have normal bowel and bladder and feeding habits. Chochi also gets pumpkin added to her food.
My question: I hate to take them to the vet because of their freak outs, but am I being a bad owner? Should their little problems be checked out, or is there any other remedy to add to the pumpkin that might help?
Thanks very much for any advice you might offer!
PJer

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Can you ask your vet to show you how to do it?

PJer
December 6th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks, Prin. The vet showed me, but I haven't been able to do more than manually remove a plug. As soon as I go near her tail end, she takes off!

Prin
December 6th, 2005, 11:45 PM
You can't have a friend hold her while you do it? (I've been told that covering the kitty with a towel might make it easier...) Or distract her somehow?