Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat & vomiting

tellmekitty
December 5th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hi,,,would appreciate some input for this: my cat (4 yrs , spayed ) seems to be having trouble eating hard food (crunchies ) but enjoys her wet ( can ) food. At times she is vomiting up just a white, slimy, foam with or without food, she is pooping, drinking water, and some can milk, and doing her normal routine. I am worried about the vomiting, could use some input on this. I have ask the Vets here for finacial help,,,,,no way,,,,,and asked the SPCA also for help,,,,no way, I am on a disablity in a small city in B.C. any suggestions on how or where to get help? I thank all that will reply to this.
May you and your pets be happy,,,,,,Sue,,,,Tellmekitty
Will also accept email replies at tellmekitty@yahoo.com

monman
December 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I've had problems with one of my 8-month old kittens for the past month with nearly daily vomiting. There was no change of routine and no behavioural issues. After a couple of visits to the vet, who had no advice but to control the amount I feed her and attempting a one day fast, the vomiting continued.

After much internet research, I narrowed down the cause of the vomiting to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

Last Friday, I changed her food to a better quality one (Royal Canin Oral Sensitive) which is supposed to prevent reflux and be easier to digest. No vomiting since the change.

If this doesn't work for you, try changing to a food with a different source of protein (from chicken to lamb or duck or fish).

Good luck!

tellmekitty
December 5th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hello Monman,,,,,thank you,,,,it is so strange how she "all" of sudden got this, I appreciate your input, I have change food so often that I will have to give some of it away now,,,,which is no prob. Have a great night!!

monman
December 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM
It happened VERY suddenly with me, as well. You say that you changed the food many times so far...could that be the reason?? Some kitties don't react well to changes in their diet. But if you do change the food, make sure you change the protein...that might indicate if he/she is having trouble digesting a particular protein (enzyme problem?) And make the change gradual by mixing the two foods in small portions until you replace it entirely with the new food.

Good night!

CyberKitten
December 5th, 2005, 09:02 PM
What did your vet say when you explained the situation? How long has this been happening? If it is recent, it could be something she ate? If it is an ongoing situation, you really need your vet to do some blood work and to examine her. Surely, you do bring her in for routine vet checks. Perhaps you might find another bvet who would let you pay in installments.

I have to say - as someone who has a disability (but managed to work with it - not easy tho I do realize some ppl just cannot) - that to me, your disability is irrelevant to your cat's health other than if it affects ytour financial status and thus your ability to care for your furry friend.

It could be IBS but I really do not think anything like this can be diagnosed online - there is not enough info. If I suggested anything, - and I am not a vet, I would consider it m,alpratice. And, what works for me and my cat may not wortk for you - anecdotal info is just that- what helped one pet at a given point in time, no more, no less - so pls take it all with a grain of salt even tho I do know it is all offered with thebest of intentions!

Vomiting in cats can be nothing serious (anxiety over new food, changes in hetr routine - and cats have finiky digestive systems and are easily stressed - and studies have shown that stress can make them phsyically ill!!). Cats need to eat - they simply do not have the reserves (like us or canines) to wait out an illness. It affects teir liver and they can become seriously ill, ery quickly, You should at least bring her to your vet to have baseline diagnostic values to work with. However, vomiting can also be very serious - if it is symptom of an illness that needs to be treated.

So - I really think your 1st course of action is a vet visit. Your cat depends on you!!! Please give her the care she needs!!

tellmekitty
December 5th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Thank you Kitten,,,,I have just receive an offer from a friend of mine to help me out,,,,,I try not to use my finacial or disabilty as a self-pity,,,,and would do Every thing I could for my pet. I just find that due to others ripping off the Vets here, they will not let you make payment plans,,,,,which is awful.
Once again thank you kindly for your input....