Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good butcher in Toronto - for dog bones

woobie
December 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Hi all:

I want to get a shank bone for my lab for Christmas to keep him occupied. My breeder suggests getting this from a butcher (either custom order or they may already have in their shops)....anyone have any suggestions as to a good butcher in the Toronto area? I have called a couple of places and they won't do it (which seems a little weird).

Thanks!

raingirl
December 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM
go down to the St. Lawrence Market and order one there. They will do anything there!

Daizy
December 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Yes, St.Lawrence Market is where I get my dog bones. If you go in the middle door and straight down the aisle, the 2nd butchers on your right has piles of ready done dog bones for $2!

woobie
December 5th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks! Do you know if they have the shank bones? the ones with the marrow?

Daizy
December 5th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Sorry Woobie, I wouldn't know what a shank bone looked like if it hit me in the face! :) But as raingirl says, they do anything there and if you are going to get it you will get there. St. Lawrence Market has lots of different butchers so if one won't do it another will. While you're there you must have lunch, so much wonderful food there.

woobie
December 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
LOL
Thanks again - I know...I LOVE St Lawrence Market - been there many times but never thought of getting goodies for the dog there! I will go on the weekend.

technodoll
December 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM
just a warning on these big weight-bearing bones... aka "wreck" bones... they are so hard that teeth can get easily chipped, fractured and cracked on them, the enamel is also stressed... a better choice would be a knuckle bone, for example, which is hard cartilage but gentler on the teeth. serve raw, of course - never cooked! :thumbs up

Dukieboy
December 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Hi all:

I want to get a shank bone for my lab for Christmas to keep him occupied. My breeder suggests getting this from a butcher (either custom order or they may already have in their shops)....anyone have any suggestions as to a good butcher in the Toronto area? I have called a couple of places and they won't do it (which seems a little weird).

Thanks!
Browns Brothers Meats at St Lawrence Market. You can call ahead to make sure they are in stock. They are in the book. You want the narrow marrow bones, raw. 1.29 per lb

woobie
December 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks so much everyone - especially Dukieboy - I think these are exactly what I am looking for - the raw bones with the marrow....I am hoping they come in different sizes - I am going to need a big one from my Lab!

Luba
December 5th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Buy a few at a time and freeze them so you don't run out

I just had a butcher tell me he can't sell them to me anymore cause of mad cow disease but it makes NO sense so instead of arguing with him I just shook my head and left!!

They just will use anything as an excuse.